Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Key West Guest Houses?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Key West Guest Houses?

Hi all...my bf and I are planning on taking a trip down to Key West this April or May and neither of us have been there. We'd like to stay at one of the gay guest houses/"resorts", but am getting way too many mixed messages about the quality these places when doing research through the normal channels (Tripadvisor, etc.).

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether any property stands out among the others. From our perspective, I guess there are few key things:

- Quality - We travel a lot and typically stay at upscale places. Looking for a good quality room. Willing to pay...
- Location - Not sure the general expanse of the area, but I guess something close to the bars, restaurant and beaches is important.
- Crowd, I guess. We like to mingle We're 28 and 30 and are fine hanging with any group.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also you can save your keystrokes explaining all the nakedness and such...we're aware of it and are pretty difficult to shock

Thanks, guys.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 6:47 am

Island House ...

I think the place you are looking for is Island House.

It's clothing optional and has all inclusive amenities, such as an in-house bar/restaurant by the pool.

I have been going there for the past three or four years. My only criticism is that during a recent visit in November 2007 I noticed that the resort had gone slightly downhill. The staff seemed much less attentive than previous years and the food was not as good.

Nonetheless, I think Island House is by far the best gay resort in Key West as long as you don't mind the cruisy atmosphere. On that score, I would say that the guests are respectful if you want to be left alone. And I did not notice any obnoxious behavior, e.g., people talking loudly outside your hotel room. Generally, the guests are well mannered.

Hope you have a good time in Key West!
Old Feb 13, 2008, 7:06 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
I have been many times and find the Island House to just be one big classless orgy. I always stay at Alexander's Guest House. It is basically across the street sorta, from Island House. Room 15 is my favourite. But I also like Room. Excellent pool-view rooms and a nice place to hang out with new friends. It is classy guesthouse and they keep it immaculate. I have met people there 10 years ago that I still am friends with today. The have the nightly free cocktails by the pool under the gazebo and the breakfast in the morning is really really nice with quality food. The entire property is clothing optional, however I've never seen anyone just plain butt-naked except on the 3rd level sundeck.
I highly recommend Alexanders and not the Island House. The website is www.alexghouse.com

Last edited by dg4255; Feb 13, 2008 at 7:12 am
Old Feb 13, 2008, 7:32 am

We stay at the Equator every year. It's clean, rooms are nice, the staff is great, and a great location. Nice breakfast and happy hour.
Every time we've been there it's been primarily couples- all ages.
Not a heavy cruising type place. Sure, i'ts there- just more low key.
We looked at Alexanders several years ago but chose The Equator based on men only. Island houe is very nice, just felt too much like a bathouse (they have day passes available for non-guests).
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks, guys, appreciate the responses.

I am well aware of the Island House, and we kind of got the impression through our research that it's gone downhill over the years. We've been everywhere from Fulsom to Southern Dec to Mardi Gras, etc., so we're used to crusiness and don't mind it, but sometimes there's a fine line between cruisy and creepy (and between guest house and bath house), so was interested into what your views were on that. As long as people are respectful, I don't mind.

How are the rooms at the Island House? I've heard they are very small. Is the island house hub of where most of the crowds hang out?

Appreciate the tips...keep them coming
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:58 am

When we toured the Island House we thought the rooms were small for what they were charging. The guy that was showing us the rooms said "most people don't spend much time in their room". He said they had a "video room"- we opted to skip it on the tour.
Rooms at Equator are quiite large for a KW Guest House- it was actually built as a Guest House, as opposed to converting an old house into many rooms.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 6:30 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
I also recommend Island House: It's the only real full-service all-male, gay guesthouse in Key West. Others try hard, but IH seems to make the stay effortless every time...

Ask for the owners suite, facing Fleming street and the pool. It's got a wonderful hammock on the private side patio and is away enough from the pool to stay quiet, but keep you in the loop.

Enjoy the Keys

BN
Old Feb 14, 2008, 2:49 am

Programs: BA gold
Maybe you could try Coconut Grove? We've stayed there many times over the past 10 years. It's on Fleming but nearer the centre of town so not so far to walk after a late night watching the strippers at Kwest... The property includes Oasis and another one across the road (forget the name) but they all share two pools and the usual hot tubs and loads of sunbathing areas. The Oasis rooms are really in need of updating but Coconut Grove nearly burnt down about a year ago and they completely re-furnished the place to a very high standard. We've stayed in gay places in Fort Lauderdale, Palm Springs, Costa Rica etc etc and our room this time at Coconut Grove was one of the best we've seen. I can't remember the room number but it was on the second floor with a view over the pool.

The whole place is clothing optional with a good percentage of guests taking advantage of that for sunbathing etc. It gets cruisy after dark if that's what you want but it's easy to ignore if you don't. And finally, there's a really high roof terrace with fantastic views.

We LOVE it here. Just ignore the rather basic breakfast...
Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:14 am

Disagree with Island House Criticism

The idea that Island House is a classless, bathhouse is just plain wrong.

Those looking for adventure can find it in the secluded areas (video room, spa, etc.) but generally the attitude is respectful for those wanting to be left alone. Honestly, why not go to a convent if people are going to be so censorious?

I am sure that every now and then things get out of hand, but that's the exception not the rule.

If you are looking for an all inclusive gay male resort where you can escape from reality for a few days, Island House is your place. Personally, I find the pool and restaurant/bar area done in very good taste.

Island House can get expensive but for those who are willing to splurge on the deluxe rooms the price is well worth it (the rates are on the web site). Their standard rooms are a bit small. So, it is nice to go deluxe.

Having said all this, I did find a slight decline in quality at Island House during my last visit in November. However, Island House is still my first choice for Key West.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by frankc98376
We stay at the Equator every year.
We used to stay at the Equator on a regular basis as well but sadly last time things had really changed towards the negative. Room upkeep and housekeeping was the biggest issues we had. I felt like the room really wasn't cleaned decently the whole time we were there and the comforters, sheets and towels really needed to be replaced! In addition the breakfast had gone from a decent assortment to what I compare to a cheap hotel (muffin & cereal) breakfast. There was also an issue since the hot tub had been removed and we were never informed. Overall it was a totally different experience than in the years before and we have not been back since. Really sad since the Equator and Key West used to be one of our favorite places. (We would rather spend several hours longer on a plane and fly out to Palm Springs now!) I do know that the resort sold a while back so maybe things have gotten better since.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:38 am

Give Equator another try. The new owner has really been putting a lot into the place. The new hot tub is beautiful (there is a pic on their website)- evidently the old one had to be taken out due to a new law that prohibits above ground hot tubs. The state claims that in a hurricane they could become airborn and fall on someone
The pool has been re-done and most of the rooms updated.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
Well, you are free to disagree with my opinion of Island House. I've been there 3 times and all three times it was extremely cruisy, a bit of a party atmosphere, and one time we found a patron of Island House a bit drunk doing his best to locate it. We walked him there and helped him to his room. We passed a full out group sex orgy taking place in full sight and one room with the door open and two guys in the full throws of man-love. I'm far from being a prude, but I would prefer to not be subjected to watching that if I were a guest there. It just seemed classless and tacky. I've talked to many other guys who have stayed there and spoken about midnight sex parties in the pool, etc.. Just not my thing.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:57 am

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
I have stayed at the Island House a few times and would not consider it Upscale or having high quality rooms by any means. Not that it isn't comfortable but from the tone of your question I assume that you desire something very nice. Unless you are locked into an all gay resort I would recommend The Paradise Inn http://theparadiseinn.com/ It is gay owned (or at least the last time I was there it was) but not an all gay resort. Wonderful rooms, great common areas, pool etc.

I just find the Island House a bit too much like a bath house for my taste.

SAM
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:24 pm

Chrisjur asked about a gay resort ...

Chrisjur wanted a recommendation about a quality gay male resort in Key West and I gave him "Island House". Chrisjur wasn't asking about a luxury hotel in Key West.

I am sure group scenes happen late in the evening at Island House (I hope to participate in some more) but what do these posters expect at a gay male resort?!? A "Sound of Music" sing along?

As far as the taste level goes, OK, it's not a Four Seasons Hotel. However, as gay male resorts go, I think it is one of the best in the country (and I have been to all the locales). Island House's decor captures that languid, lush, decadent quality of Key West.

Relaxing in a lounge chair with a martini in hand at the Island House pool is my idea of paradise.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 3:32 pm
aeo

More on IH

Originally Posted by aeneastwin
I am sure group scenes happen late in the evening at Island House (I hope to participate in some more) but what do these posters expect at a gay male resort?!? A "Sound of Music" sing along?
I've stayed at plenty of gay hotels around that don't host the sort of late night orgies I witnessed at Island House. There's certainly a spectrum of resorts.

Which isn't to say anything against the place. When I visited EYW a few months ago and was out at the bars on Duval, many of the people I chatted up, including locals, suggested meeting back at the IH. On the one hand, that means that, yes, it's a central gathering place and a happening spot. OTOH, on the weekend nights I visited it was no different than a sauna, even in the central areas, and it was noisy.

That said, the facilities appeared clean and quite nice, and the staff (with one MAJOR jerk of an exception) was friendly and cute.

The biggest drawback to the place, I would say, is that it's quite a walk from Duval. During the day that's not such a problem, but I wound up taking cabs there at night to save the time. A bike would also suffice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.