Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Finding a BF who won't think you are crazy because of FT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finding a BF who won't think you are crazy because of FT

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LGA
Grrr... Life in NYC...

I suppose you "OneWorlder" and I could meet, but I'm way too close to NW Million Miler to stop now!
NW MM? Ouch!
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
#1 taught me - and started the obsession. I taught #2 and turned them from "i don't care where I sit" into "why didn't my upgrade clear???"

So - rather than fret over the lack of knowledgeable prospects, the best thing to do is recruit as many as we can to our way of life
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:16 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by izzik
NW MM? Ouch!
What?! They work pretty well for the cheap frequent flyer who wants his upgrades a hell of a lot of the time and doesn't have any business travel at all. And it used to fun upgrading companions/random strangers when people were friendlier... Or maybe it was just flying out of SFO instead of LGA.

I once offered at LGA to upgrade these two folks (girl and guy a few years younger than I was) for the hell of it and because they looked friendly. Her response was, "Why?"

I sure don't live here for the warm, gregarious people!
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I would never make is a FA. I would not last a day. I would very quickly tell most whinning paxs (paying a fare that does not even cover the airline's operating costs) to shut up and sit down.
I'd never be an FA either - would much rather be serviced than have to service. (no puns....i swear...)
Old Dec 13, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Can't be too difficult to meet fellow-FT'ers - already three times I met a guy the old-fashioned way (in a bar), we start talking, soon we discover we both travel a lot, and the next moment we are exchanging our FT names.
There's lots of us!
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
so true ! I'm AA EXP, my BF is UA 1K. He doesn't get my FT obsession, but he doesn't mind flying to Europe on my upgrades either.

He would gladly give up his corporate VP gig to be a FA (assuming the pay and benefits were the same). His mom recently retired after 30 yrs as a UA Int'l FA, so it runs in his family.

The biggest challenge with our combined travel is ensuring proper parenting coverage for the dog at home.
In a heartbeat I would work for an airline, frontline. In fact, I did. For 6 months I worked at Newark for Virgin. It was unbelievable. Loved every minute of it. It got a little weird when my coworkers found out I had gone to Harvard. They thought I was writing some kind of book! They were great. Obviously I was doing it purely for the experience, but I look on that time with fond memories. A coworker(who was not doing it for the money either) and I would end our 4:30-9:30 am shift, drive back into the city, have breakfast at Pastis, often stay through lunch. Good times. I had to keep the job a secret from my family. They soooo wouldn't get it.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by daniellam
It seems like that whenever I meet a guy, I am afraid to tell him that I love to fly First Class, read FT and have an obsession about airlines and their premium services. When I do, some people just think I am strange (most guys seem to just want to travel the "cheapest" way).

So where I find a "FT friendly" bf or someone who shares the passion of flying and obsessions about premium travel?
There are a few of us out there you know Even I share your passion.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
#1 taught me - and started the obsession. I taught #2 and turned them from "i don't care where I sit" into "why didn't my upgrade clear???"

So - rather than fret over the lack of knowledgeable prospects, the best thing to do is recruit as many as we can to our way of life
I'm trying to teach the current SO the benefits. He'll be close to FO after our MSY-NRT spring break trip so I'll book him some travel on DL to show him the "sweet life".

He's very understanding of my convoluted routings (MSY-ATL-SLC-IAH v.v.) or the occasional 6am flight to connect in CVG instead of ATL.

Heck, I may even book him on an early year "Weekend MR" to get him some MQM's.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
In a heartbeat I would work for an airline, frontline. In fact, I did. For 6 months I worked at Newark for Virgin. It was unbelievable. Loved every minute of it. It got a little weird when my coworkers found out I had gone to Harvard. They thought I was writing some kind of book! They were great. Obviously I was doing it purely for the experience, but I look on that time with fond memories. A coworker(who was not doing it for the money either) and I would end our 4:30-9:30 am shift, drive back into the city, have breakfast at Pastis, often stay through lunch. Good times. I had to keep the job a secret from my family. They soooo wouldn't get it.
That sounds kind of exciting. I wonder if DL (or any airline) is hiring at MSY... :-) it's the kind of thing I'd like to do for fun sometime...

Is that strange?
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:15 am

My civil partner has long gotten used to my mileage "obsession" although it might have seemed strange at first.

I remember the day he emigrated over from the US to the UK, his inbound flight was delayed by 10 hours, which meant he had 5 hours sleep before joining me on a mileage run LHR-IAD-CLT-MCO / MCO-IAD-LHR the following morning! Poor guy only got 4 hours sleep in MCO as well, and ended up crossing the Atlantic 3 times in 3 days, and in Y.

Mark
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by izzik
NW MM? Ouch!
careful there Izzy, it was only recently that I dropped using the word "ghetto" to proceed any reference to UA.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM | DL Gold | AA Gold | Marriott Platinum | Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mjgodden
My civil partner has long gotten used to my mileage "obsession" although it might have seemed strange at first.

I remember the day he emigrated over from the US to the UK, his inbound flight was delayed by 10 hours, which meant he had 5 hours sleep before joining me on a mileage run LHR-IAD-CLT-MCO / MCO-IAD-LHR the following morning! Poor guy only got 4 hours sleep in MCO as well, and ended up crossing the Atlantic 3 times in 3 days, and in Y.

Mark
MR with 3 TATL crossings in 3 days in Y -- now THAT must be true love!
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justforfun
I swear, the worst part of being gay is having to date gay men.
HEAR HEAR!!!!!

^
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:29 pm

Programs: AF/KL, LX, IB
Smile

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Can't be too difficult to meet fellow-FT'ers - already three times I met a guy the old-fashioned way (in a bar), we start talking, soon we discover we both travel a lot, and the next moment we are exchanging our FT names.
There's lots of us!
where do you get them? i want one, i want one!
Old Dec 14, 2007, 6:17 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Its all about tolerance!!!

Guys

Somehow I never managed to fly on a DC-10. Last trip to the states I chose some NW flights that were DC-10 for that reason and they were equipment changed to 757.

So Garuda flies DC-10's, suggested going to JKT for a day trip out of DPS, when we were up at the condo.

BF goes - not going to that s**t hole for any reason, but you go if you want to, I'll just lie by the pool.

So i had a lousy flight to JKT in 737, had a fun day shopping, being driven around in a Volvo 764, fantastic flight on the DC -10 C class - got a air traffic delay going into DPS - no complaints from me.

BF had a nice day by the pool, nil dramas.

Recently in NZ - had a few points left that were due to expire, so suggested we do a trip to NSN but the equipment was a Beech 1900, too small he screams, I'll sit at the airport and have a coffee or two.

So I had a wonderful time CHC- NSN-CHC he had a coffee or two read a magazine, no complaints.

Equally I give him space to do his thing - read car magazines etc .

BF loves a pamper in C or F class - no complaints there.

Adam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.