Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Finding a BF who won't think you are crazy because of FT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)

It seems like that whenever I meet a guy, I am afraid to tell him that I love to fly First Class, read FT and have an obsession about airlines and their premium services. When I do, some people just think I am strange (most guys seem to just want to travel the "cheapest" way).

So where I find a "FT friendly" bf or someone who shares the passion of flying and obsessions about premium travel?
Old Dec 6, 2007, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have the same exactly experience... so I dont disclose that passion... unless I see that the relationship is going to another level...
Old Dec 6, 2007, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, AA AAdvantage
Originally Posted by daniellam
So where I find a "FT friendly" bf or someone who shares the passion of flying and obsessions about premium travel?
I think there might be a forum for those guys...
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:03 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
deleted
Old Dec 6, 2007, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
It seems like that whenever I meet a guy, I am afraid to tell him that I love to fly First Class, read FT and have an obsession about airlines and their premium services. When I do, some people just think I am strange (most guys seem to just want to travel the "cheapest" way).

Lets start with flying First Class. All the male FA's are gays and typically quite good looking (not counting in some US airlines) and happy to serve while on layover so where is the need for a BF?

Realistically I just disclose that I like to travel a lot. I am not going to tell that I take maybe four months off a year, couple of RTW's in C or F, and like to stay at suites among other things....
Old Dec 7, 2007, 5:49 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Where to find a guy like that? I'd start with the First or Business Class cabin and international airline lounges. That gives you a self-selecting group of prospects, and there are lots of cruisy boys in those lounges. (But we're not allowed to talk about that.)

As for FT, I'd broach the subject gradually, once a foundation, among other things, is laid.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Yeah, it is hard to get people in general to understand the love of travel, particularly air travel. Can't tell you the number of gay men here in supposely culture capital of the world NYC that travel occassionally but have no real desire. The thought of going to lets say Sydney (even in J) just has no appeal. They don't understand that there is a rewards system in place that can get you to the front of the plane most of the time where life is so much better. Also they certainly don't understand the perks of the "gay upgrade." And airline lounges, not a clue.

Like tomorrow I am flying LGA/ORD/MSP and back for $129 ai, all flights in F. So I will spend a relaxing day listening to music, reading, being well pampered (well as pampered as you can get in domestic F), taking maybe a lite snooze after a meal and a glass of wine, and getting to see the country. And of course I will earn more miles towards UPGs in the future.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:59 am

Programs: Delta DM
I found him so were good, we both fly Biz or F only, well when we can. as far as FT, I just do it when he is gone or im out working. Easy enough.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Hmm

Perhaps my downfall is not that I love to travel (yes, I've done Europe for the long weekend), but I don't require business or first class seating, nor do I require 5* hotels or fine dining. Maybe its just being me trying to be butch, but I've done 3RTs to the south Pacific in the last 4 years (SEA-LAX-SYD/MEL-SYD-CHC-AKL-LAX-SEA; SEA-LAX-AKL/CHC-AKL-LAX-SEA; and SEA-LAX-SYD-ADL-SYD-MEL-HBA-ADL/MEL-LAX-SEA) all in coach, but on award tickets.

As for FT, yes I read and post, but I don't obsess. I leave obsession for much more human forms I encounter.

...and where is this secret code for after flight service from cabin crew??? This has never happened to me!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by 98103

...and where is this secret code for after flight service from cabin crew??? This has never happened to me!
You have to earn it
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion

I have found one but I am afraid he's taken
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
It's not easy, but they do exist. My boyfriend and I have come to somewhat of an agreement. He's just as nuts about cars and everything car-related as I am about flying and airlines. So we allow each other to indulge some in our passions; I'll listen to him tell me everything there is to know about a car we just saw go by on the freeway, and I get to talk about flying and travel. It helps that he loves to travel too, and there are a lot of places neither of us has been that we'd both like to visit one day, hopefully together.

He does give me a lot of grief over the first class thing, though. We're a long-distance couple right now, with me in Houston and him in Atlanta. Often when I e-mail him my Continental itineraries off their website, I've already been upgraded for my flight to ATL, so he sees how often I'm flying first class to come see him. He swears I'm eating caviar and drinking Cristal on every flight, which has become a running joke with us.

And as others have suggested, there's always some nice looking guys in airline lounges, on flights, and even in this forum there's a great selection of single gay men, who obviously share your passion.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Where to find someone who is as FT obsessed as you? Why on FT, of course. New forum: FT Dating.

Funny story. I met someone through another online, non-flying related site. We went out. Had a great time. No mention of my flying obsession. Went back to his place. His screen saver is a 747. I ask him about it. He's a little reluctant to talk about. I ask him a few probing questions. And then I do it. Ask him if he's an FTer. And he was!!!! It was crazy. We ended up looking at some Qantas First Class menus he had just acquired. God, just typing that made me realize what a bunch of nerds we all are! But who cares when you're flying up front all the time!

Just think of the possibilities. First date: FCT in Frankfurt. Second date: The Pier in Hong Kong. Third date: the couple's suite on SQ's A380. Who's game? lol
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun
First date: FCT in Frankfurt. Second date: The Pier in Hong Kong. Third date: the couple's suite on SQ's A380. Who's game? lol
If you're paying...
Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by spanishflea
If you're paying...
Heck, at this point I just might! I swear, the worst part of being gay is having to date gay men.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.