Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Finding a BF who won't think you are crazy because of FT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finding a BF who won't think you are crazy because of FT

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by SingaPaul
I thot in FT, distance is only a number??? No??? And i thot FT might be the bridge to a LDR...

I know a guy who might be a typical FTer... Fly first or biz, stay in a suite, only go for fine dining when with company... Everything seems fine... Except, he is too busy with work...

Niagara Falls Trip - cancelled due to work commitment
Chicago Trip - cancelled due to work commitment
Broadway Trip - cancelled due to work commitment
Nashville Trip - pending on work commitment

That is pretty frustrating...
But honey, eventhough FT might be the bridge to a LDR, that bridge sure has a lot of obstacles TSA to name a few..eww.. i hate their gutts .. and also expensive airport parking..

Hmmm...decision, decision..

P/s: Do we get EQM on airport parkings?
Old Dec 10, 2007, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Aluminum tubing
You'll find that cabin crew do enjoy talking about planes, destinations, and passengers. We tend to lurk more on FT due to most of the topics on crazy MR, and status aren't things that we don't have much need to know since we travel for next to nothing.
The fondness for travel talk does not surprise me, but I think he was shocked at how much I knew. Giving it more thought I doubt he is even a lurker here, since he had never even heard of a mileage run!
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SeaMeFly
and also expensive airport parking..

Hmmm...decision, decision..

P/s: Do we get EQM on airport parkings?
Does your airport have an off-site lot that has a frequent parker program?

My home airport (IAH) has several. I park there for many work trips, earn points, and then redeem them for weekends when I'm in Atlanta with the BF. That, plus the ability I have to book work trips to either start or end at ATL has made being in a long-distance relationship much more affordable. It's still neither as cheap nor as convenient as dating someone who's local, but he's worth it.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by justforfun
One problem with dating a fellow FTer, however, would be that not only must you actually like this person, but that your alliances must be complementary. Issues with interalliance dating could be significant. I mean, i could NEVER date a Skyteam elite. Ewww. Just the thought of it...Oneworld or Star all the way!
Even though *A is likely the "gayest" of the three, it's SkyTeam or nothing for me.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite, Avis First, Hertz PC
I've definitely used my travel bug to assist me in enjoying a short-distance relationship. I will book work trips and route everything through Seattle. Not too difficult with my airline, AS.

The PDX-SEA shuttle flights are awesome as I can standby to get to SEA earlier and enjoy some time before I have to jaunt somewhere else.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by SeaMeFly
But honey, eventhough FT might be the bridge to a LDR, that bridge sure has a lot of obstacles TSA to name a few..eww.. i hate their gutts ..
Yes dear, I hear u... Had tried to bridge 10,500 miles, 180 miles, 2,500 miles, 220 miles... So I can relate to the obstacles u refered to...

By gutts or guts, do u mean belly??? If so, I've to confess that one of my biggest joys of going to the airport is not so much about seeing planes... But seeing a little belly tauting a neatly pressed shirt... I know I'm being bad... No presents for me this year...
Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by SingaPaul
Yes dear, I hear u... Had tried to bridge 10,500 miles, 180 miles, 2,500 miles, 220 miles... So I can relate to the obstacles u refered to...

By gutts or guts, do u mean belly??? If so, I've to confess that one of my biggest joys of going to the airport is not so much about seeing planes... But seeing a little belly tauting a neatly pressed shirt... I know I'm being bad... No presents for me this year...
Puuheeehh... just get yourself a present... a MR present that is... A soulful joy and a full reward towards next year flying I bet Santa won't be able to top this, because he only FLIES once a year...Not enough to be Prem. Exec. eventhough he's doing it around the world.

Happy man/holiday hunting!
Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:12 pm

Hmm....bf not really a traveler, and was somewhat baffled and moderately annoyed as to my continued spending some time on finding the right CC/hotel/FF combo's for maximizing the benefits of my business traveling.....

...but a couple of free trips from our home in western Europe to tropical islands and to asia for the both of us (in C/F and luxury hotels, of course) made the obsession of mine bearable to him......a free all-F-trip for him and I and his parents together to somewhere nice in the far east (again, luxury hotels) sort of hit it home -- and the prospect of me already having enough miles for another 8 very-long-haul F tix and about a month worth in hotel points has created a convert who refuses to shop in places where his spousal-card on my favorite milage-earning CC is not accepted.

If you can't find a FTer to make your bf, make your bf an FTer or at least an FT-supporter

FWIW, we've stuck together for >10 years, so he's not (only) in it for the free travels and the F-lounge-spa-treatments
Old Dec 12, 2007, 4:56 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by voop
If you can't find a FTer to make your bf, make your bf an FTer or at least an FT-supporter
Well put.

Mr. Megatop gives me a hard time when I spend a couple of hours on FT and other forums on weekend mornings, or when I call from San Francisco 'cause I really wanted to go to dinner there and (sheepishly), yes, I did need the mileage. But when we're in the middle of a complicated trip that comes off without a hitch and he's settling in to a nice free business class seat on a 777, he won't be heard to complain too much.

(Knock wood for the trip that starts today.)
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I haven't quite told the BF this, but when I arrive at ATL on December 28 to spend the weekend and New Year's Eve with him, I will have flown IAH-DFW-LAS-LAX-MCI-MKE-ATL to get there over two days, on four airlines, and picked up the last night I needed in 2007 to re-qualify my Marriott status for another year. He'll probably think I'm crazy, but then I'll remind him how he's traveled across the country to buy a barely running car off Craigslist from a complete stranger, only to find out that it had no heat (and it was the middle of winter), and we'll call it even.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by LGA
Grrr... Life in NYC...

I suppose you "OneWorlder" and I could meet, but I'm way too close to NW Million Miler to stop now!
Hey! I'm with Skyteam (DL) and live in NYC! And I'm single...
Old Dec 12, 2007, 3:13 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Originally Posted by justforfun
Heck, at this point I just might! I swear, the worst part of being gay is having to date gay men.
Oh, man, there need to be shirts made that say this.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM | DL Gold | AA Gold | Marriott Platinum | Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Scott in LA
Oh, man, there need to be shirts made that say this.
I'll buy one!
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Yeah, another twist to finding a man. Not only do you need to find someone that you are attracted to and get along with, you need to be on the same status level with the same airline or at least in the same alliance. What if you are One World and he is Star Alliance and neither of you are versatile
so true ! I'm AA EXP, my BF is UA 1K. He doesn't get my FT obsession, but he doesn't mind flying to Europe on my upgrades either.

He would gladly give up his corporate VP gig to be a FA (assuming the pay and benefits were the same). His mom recently retired after 30 yrs as a UA Int'l FA, so it runs in his family.

The biggest challenge with our combined travel is ensuring proper parenting coverage for the dog at home.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
so true ! I'm AA EXP, my BF is UA 1K. He doesn't get my FT obsession, but he doesn't mind flying to Europe on my upgrades either.

He would gladly give up his corporate VP gig to be a FA (assuming the pay and benefits were the same). His mom recently retired after 30 yrs as a UA Int'l FA, so it runs in his family.

The biggest challenge with our combined travel is ensuring proper parenting coverage for the dog at home.

I would never make is a FA. I would not last a day. I would very quickly tell most whinning paxs (paying a fare that does not even cover the airline's operating costs) to shut up and sit down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.