Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Singapore retains gay sex ban

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore retains gay sex ban

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2009, 8:53 am

A revisit

Two years ago, during the debate on whether to decriminalise sex between men, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong had clearly stated that the conventional family, a heterosexual stable family is the norm and building block of Singapore society.

But the government also recognises that homosexuals are part of the society. Mr Lee had said then: "Homosexuals work in all sectors, all over the economy, in the public sector as well and in the civil service. They are free to lead their lives, free to pursue their social activities."
Detailed article

Anyway, there is an event that could potentially turned into that held at Disney every first weekend of June.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDdoT7opmrg

One step at a time...
Old May 15, 2009, 1:30 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Great video Paul... thanks for sharing!
Old May 17, 2009, 8:17 am

A follow-up

A follow-up clip on the event held on 16 May 2009.

~2500 people turned up for the event there... That is quite a statement... Kudos to the organization for putting the pink dot on the Singapore map…

“They [gays] are free to lead their lives, free to pursue their social activities.”

That was the statement the govt made prior to the event... And the success of the event highlighted just that... That was quite a significant step forward...

The status quo has moved… And the most powerful depiction is this picture here...
Old May 17, 2009, 9:31 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Paul,

Thanks for the update.... gotta love the Rainbow Bear....

Can I ask? Are you seeing any real changes as someone who lives there?
Old May 18, 2009, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by wharvey
Can I ask? Are you seeing any real changes as someone who lives there?
Unfortunately, I'm the wrong guy to be asked that question. Quite out of touch with the actual development on the island. Ironically, learned all about the event thru an american friend.

But from what I've read and heard, it seems to me that it is easier to get straight people to understand and accept the differences between gay and straight than to get the gay people to understand and accept the differences among gay people.

Perhaps, it is just me. But the life of a gay person seems to be made more difficult by a fellow gay person than by a straight.

Anyway, back to the topic... Revisited this thread to dispel the thingy about gay sex ban in Singapore... Yes, the ban still stands... But it was mentioned by the govt that gay people are free to live their lives and pursue their social activities in Singapore... Hopefully, that will make the rainbow warriors feel more at home here on the red dot that was just pink-dotted.
Old May 19, 2009, 5:56 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Considering the Singapore government's propensity to disperse any gathering of people who do not have a government-issued permit to assemble and speak their mind's (and the government's disinclination to issue permits to groups who will express points of view the government deems undesirable), that this event went forward at all is a significant step forward ^, even if it is only a baby step. But, it is said, one must learn to walk before one can run.
Old May 27, 2009, 8:12 am

Now, what is with this ban???
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:34 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Considering the Singapore government's propensity to disperse any gathering of people who do not have a government-issued permit to assemble and speak their mind's (and the government's disinclination to issue permits to groups who will express points of view the government deems undesirable), that this event went forward at all is a significant step forward ^, even if it is only a baby step. But, it is said, one must learn to walk before one can run.
It is considered quite a big step these recent years but unfortunately, it is still far from returning to where this country used to be one of the Pink stops in Asia for theme parties.

Unfortunately, the pressure is getting stronger especially for the confused group of teenagers who has to go through more verbal abuses from peers and parents who have not opened up to accept people's preferences. Education is going to one major hindrance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.