Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Singapore retains gay sex ban

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore retains gay sex ban

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2008, 7:45 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Great point! Thailand is a predominantly Buddhist country and has a very tolerant, relaxed & non-judgmental attitude toward sexual orientation. When you go to department stores, even the very top tier ones, you often see transvestites and transexuals staffing the cosmetics counters and spraying perfume at you as you walk by. Buddhism just does not preach hatred, shame and sin. In fact, it does not preach. One has to seek out Buddhism; it's an internal journey & discovery. (I am not Buddhist, so apologies for my generalizing.)
Well I'm originally Thai - I find that people there are tolerant and non-judgmental towards sexual orientation but its much more acceptable among the "lower" classes - among the "upper" classes orientation is accepted but not really openly (much like mistresses) and it's fairly unusual for an "upper" class person to be in an openly gay/lesbian relationship. There was a former Prime Minister who was known to be gay but not publicly talked about.

Maybe MegatopLover can weigh in when he returns from BKK.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 8:15 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by peteropny
Maybe MegatopLover can weigh in when he returns from BKK.
Well, I'm not Thai. But Mr. Megatop is.

I think you all have it mostly right. Thailand's Buddhist-dominated culture has a very live-and-let-live ethos. People don't pass judgment on one another much, although at certain levels of society conforming to expected behaviors may be pretty much required. You can see acceptance of gays and transgendered people almost everywhere, at least as far as I have seen in Bangkok. The level of acceptance and, perhaps consequently, the number of openly gay people is very high in Bangkok as compared to other cities like Hong Kong and Singapore.

In general, I have found Singapore very conservative on social issues. The family is very important to Singaporeans and their government, which is struggling to combat a birth rate well below the replacement rate. In addition to moral objections, sometimes based in religion, some in society and government may see "allowing people to be openly gay" as a loss of potential breeders. In any case, historically the government has been rigid on any number of social issues, although a loosening of restrictions has taken place in fits and starts, primarily when the opportunity to make money has been at stake. The effort to attract the pink dollar got started a few years ago, only to spawn back-peddaling when--horrors!--undercover agents actually saw men dancing together at one of the circuit parties. Even today, gay bars are not officialy allowed, and the ones that do exist must make a pretense of inviting women. Gay rights groups still have trouble organizing. But perhaps as the old guard moves on and a new generation takes over, we will see liberalization with gay rights as we have with other issues (e.g., gambling).
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:09 pm

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Comment: How the biggest threat to gay communities in Singapore is not just the legal system

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-7990.html
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
This may be a dumb question, but are my partner and I at any risk for visiting Singapore for a couple of nights and asking for king bed? I was there once and gay life seemed to be quite open -- I remember seeing large gay dance parties, one outdoors. We are middle-aged and boring, frankly, but we are open and I am not willing to request or go along double beds because it's just stupid.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by sfolawyer
This may be a dumb question, but are my partner and I at any risk for visiting Singapore for a couple of nights and asking for king bed? I was there once and gay life seemed to be quite open -- I remember seeing large gay dance parties, one outdoors. We are middle-aged and boring, frankly, but we are open and I am not willing to request or go along double beds because it's just stupid.
I don't think you'll have a problem - read http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-amanjiwo.html which was Megatoplover's Trip Report from Dec where he and his partner had some problems getting a king bed room at the Ritz SIN but was resolved. They've been in SIN quite a few times.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: A Few
My partner and I have visited SIN a couple of times...absolutely no issues with having 1 King bed. We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental and the Four Seasons.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:14 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
You won't have a problem at any international/chain properties in Singapore. We've always requested a king at the Mandarin Oriental, Sheraton, Ritz, and Le Merdien (RIP) and never once gotten so much as a question.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:06 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I don't think you'll have a problem - read http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-amanjiwo.html which was Megatoplover's Trip Report from Dec where he and his partner had some problems getting a king bed room at the Ritz SIN but was resolved. They've been in SIN quite a few times.
Thanks for the shoutout and link to my TR, peteropny. Yes, issue ultimately resolved. But having had the same problem at that hotel two or three times, and never having had a problem anywhere else in Asia (including FS SIN, the Fullerton, and the edgy New Majestic Hotel), we'll be looking for a new hotel for our next visit to Singapore. Other than that, no problems in the city state. Except that the dance parties are no more-- now held in Thailand.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:12 am

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
I had the same problem at the Grand Hyatt - wasn't anything discriminatory, think the guy was just a little slow .

After asking about 4 times he finally clicked and happily gave us a King bed. Haven't had any trouble at other hotels in Singapore or at the Hyatt when I've stayed there at other times so would say it was an isolated incident.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
Stayed at the RC Singapore with my partner twice last month and mid-last year and no problem having a King bed.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:57 pm

I think that the information that people have presented here confirms my theory in the "one bed" thread that this issue arises from individual clerks more than "policies" in place at least at the "major" chain hotels.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 11:55 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
I think that the information that people have presented here confirms my theory in the "one bed" thread that this issue arises from individual clerks more than "policies" in place at least at the "major" chain hotels.
Perhaps you are more likely to get "one bed" if you book a suite (where the more expensive categories tend to have only "one bed"), then if you booked a regular room (which can come in "one bed" or "two bed" configurations)?
Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by daniellam
Perhaps you are more likely to get "one bed" if you book a suite (where the more expensive categories tend to have only "one bed"), then if you booked a regular room (which can come in "one bed" or "two bed" configurations)?
Perhaps - but over the years I've read some reports (here on FT but don't remember in what context) that upgrades to suites (with one bed) have been denied precisely because there was only one bed. IMO, much has to do with desk clerk on duty though.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Perhaps - but over the years I've read some reports (here on FT but don't remember in what context) that upgrades to suites (with one bed) have been denied precisely because there was only one bed. IMO, much has to do with desk clerk on duty though.
Not at SPG. They wouldn't dare deny my upgrade, but they sometimes would offer a rollaway bed, free of charge.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
Great, thanks for the info. I've been looking around at hotels and choosing between the RC and the Shangri-La. I'm leaning toward the Shangri-La now because it seems to have the most resort-like pool, and we are planning on hanging out and relaxing over a long weekend. Any experiences at that hotel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.