Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2007, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI(G), United 1K, Virgin (S), Starwood (Gold) Hilton (Diamond)
Dubai

Anyone been to Dubai with a partner? If so, what is the protocol there for two guys sharing a room with a King Bed? We want to go next February and just want to make sure we don't get into any trouble!
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was there in January. I think that as long as you're discreet about it nobody will really care. Homosexuality is technically illegal in the UAE. But if you're staying at a nice international hotel I think you'll be fine.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI(G), United 1K, Virgin (S), Starwood (Gold) Hilton (Diamond)
Thanks for that - hopefully staying at the Hilton and 2 nights at the lovely Burj!
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:35 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

We were there in April at the Grand Hyatt - no problems at all.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:13 am

Programs: FB-Gold, SPG-Plat, Priority Club-Plat
Stayed 2 nights on July at the Sheraton on the Creek with my bf, no problems.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Dubai is utterly boring destination. There is absolutely nothing original to see. Las Vegas is ten times more interesting than Dubai and I don't like Vegas either.

Last edited by holtju2; Oct 19, 2007 at 12:00 pm
Old Oct 19, 2007, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that's a bit harsh, but after spending 5 days there I have no desire to return. I'd recommend spending some time in Deira, go see the Burj, the Dubai Museum, the ibn Battuta mall, and the indoor ski slope if you must. Good restaurants abound. I also liked the Lime Tree Café for feeling like I was in southern California.

Also I'd recommend a drive to Abu Dhabi just to see the Emirates Palace Hotel. Plus it's a change of scenery.

Originally Posted by holtju2
Dubai is utterly boring destination. There is absolutely nothing original to see. Las Vegas is ten times more intesresting than Dubai.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I think that's a bit harsh, but after spending 5 days there I have no desire to return.
It is kinda weird but lot of Europeans are fixated to Dubai. I really wonder why?
Old Oct 19, 2007, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Have stayed at the Burj a couple of times now -all suites are with King size bed and mirror overhead (eek) - never a problem when 2 guys check in together. Click on the web-site link in my profile for some pictures - pictures from the Burj last Christmas and see how camp their Christmas tree was. The Burj is also very good at removing the set of ladies complimentary toileteries and replacing them with an extra set of men's so it is fairly common practice. Normally one set of men's and one set of women's toilteries set in the bathroom.

No problem with other hotels in the region (Ritz Carlton in Bahrain or the Al Maha in Dubai - both in suites with one King bed). Keep to the luxury end catering to Westerners. Never any issues.

I found it a tad humourous with the airport pickup. Ordered a top end Rolls Royce from the Burj on arrival at the airport. I caught a glimpse of the chauffer begin to walk up with a bunch of flowers before it was quickly whisked away when the hotel agent who greeted us in the airport made the appropriate hand signals while walking us and our bags out of the airport.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 1:09 am
Suspended

You won't have any problems whatsoever in Dubai checking in at a major hotel catering to Westerners.

Though service foucussed training means many hotel staff are generally more liberal in their views than can be the case with some Middle Easterners, hotels are often staffed by contract workers from East Asia who are much more relaxed about such matters, and as per KenJohn's example many hotels will go out of their way to be accommodating.

Personally I believe it is important to respect local culture, so minimise Public Displays of Affection, as I do at home in Singapore, though I know not everyone signs up to this approach for various reasons.

Dubai is utterly boring destination. There is absolutely nothing original to see. Las Vegas is ten times more interesting than Dubai.
The main draw for Europeans is the year-round warm weather, low humidity, relatively swift flying time, modest four hour time difference, and it's handy for those who for visa reasons are not permitted in the US.

Dubai has great shopping malls, superb restaurants, the unique Ski Slope, Wild Wadi Water park, innovative destination hotels with pristine beaches. All at very sensible prices, on the whole.

It would be difficult for anyone aware of those options to get "bored" on a short break in Dubai. Wayne Dyer said “Life is never boring, but some people choose to be bored.” And with all the priviliges we have in life, I really think it is no-ones fault but our own if we get bored.

And there is plenty orginal to see and do. Ever ridden dunes in a convoy of 4x4s? Walked around the Gold Souk by night? Smoked apple tobacco in the desert under the stars? Joined in a Ramadan feast? Eaten fresh dates while watching a belly dancer? Stayed at the Al-Maha tented seven star hotel? Learned how to hunt with Peregrine Falcons? Soon you'll be able to stay on the QE2 which will be permanently mooored there.

You can see a little of old Dubai on a dhow sunset trip, and the more adventurous traveller can journey to see some amazing achitecture and awesome landscapes in nearby Oman and further afield in The Yemen, which is a fascinating country, for those interested.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by BraniffLuvr
Stayed at the Al-Maha tented seven star hotel?
The Al Maha is very nice but not really seven star - as a property. The service is exceptional and IMHO far better than at the Burj. You get your own personal host and guide. They do keep a check on all your booked activity so if you do something silly like double book (like I did) they help you work out how to fit in the various options (like sending a car for you part way through one activity).

The property is not as as OTT as the Burj but the service is more personalised with you waiter, host and guide remember your name, details and preferences - very much like an African safari camp which it models itself on. Many staff are from South African safari camps.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 4:01 pm

It is kinda weird but lot of Europeans are fixated to Dubai. I really wonder why?
1. Accessibility (I can fly GLA-DXB on EK on a 777 thus avoiding BA and LHR)
2. Flight prices equable to flying to the States
3. Arabian gold
4. Weather
5. The men
6. Shopping
7. More shopping
8. Did I mention the men?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:35 am

Programs: LH SEN, ME Cedar Miles Prestige
Originally Posted by Aleks
1. Accessibility (I can fly GLA-DXB on EK on a 777 thus avoiding BA and LHR)
2. Flight prices equable to flying to the States
3. Arabian gold
4. Weather
5. The men
6. Shopping
7. More shopping
8. Did I mention the men?

Men? Which men in Dubai?

If you are into Hot Middle easterners then go either to Beirut or even Tel Aviv.
At least these two cities have kind of culture.
I dont know whats so special about the shopping in Dubai. You can get all the stuff in Europe too and its not even very much cheaper.

Weather: Most of the time its just too hot i think.

In general: The marketing guys promoting Dubai in Europe are doing a pretty good job creating the "wish" to visit this artificial city in the middle class in Europe.

Did you fellow FTlers never ask yourself why all the middle easterners , especially the gays, dont do their holiday in Dubai, but in in Beirut? SO why then go to Dubai?
The Middle/ upper class gay arabs will all be found in Beirut letting their hair down

Beirut is the most gay friendly arab country with a decent gay infrastructure

Last edited by Jimmy67; Oct 23, 2007 at 10:47 am
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:42 pm

But Dubai is still nice if you are after a holiday with a non-gay scene. For the right price, you get pampered and get to indulge and live if up. Its what Dubai pushes.

By the way, the gaydar website is blocked in Dubai.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimmy67
Men? Which men in Dubai?

If you are into Hot Middle easterners then go either to Beirut or even Tel Aviv.
At least these two cities have kind of culture.
I dont know whats so special about the shopping in Dubai. You can get all the stuff in Europe too and its not even very much cheaper.
I am absolutely on the same page with Jimmy67. Are people afraid of going to Beirut where one can actually find some originality?

Better yet do both Beirut and tel Aviv on the same trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.