Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dallas - Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2009, 7:15 pm

Very helpful info DFWFlyer2! Thanks so much for taking the time to write all this info, I'm sure it'll help me in a couple of weekends when I'm there. And thanks for including the links too.

I definitely have to go to Roundup, we don't get to see that kind of scene here in NYC that often Still deciding what area to stay...

Originally Posted by DFWFlyer2
I know this won't do YOU any good, but for anyone planning on coming to Dallas more than a month in the future, our full smoking ban goes into effect in EXACTLY one month, Friday, April 10th, and we are needless to say, more than thrilled!
LOL. How do you know it won't do me any good? LOL
Old Mar 11, 2009, 9:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
JC.. Roundup is a great experience. I was blown away by all the "cowboys' and really enjoyed watching the guys doing the "two step".

When I went to TMC, I thought of that bar we went to in NOLA. And they do pour a nice strong drink
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JCinNYC
Very helpful info DFWFlyer2! Thanks so much for taking the time to write all this info, I'm sure it'll help me in a couple of weekends when I'm there. And thanks for including the links too.

I definitely have to go to Roundup, we don't get to see that kind of scene here in NYC that often Still deciding what area to stay...

LOL. How do you know it won't do me any good? LOL
I was thinking you mentioned you would be in town BEFORE April 10th, the effective date of the ban.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: OnePass Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Avis First, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
JC.. Roundup is a great experience. I was blown away by all the "cowboys' and really enjoyed watching the guys doing the "two step".
+1 The Roundup is a blast.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz #1 President's Circle, SPG Platinum
I was thinking you mentioned you would be in town BEFORE April 10th, the effective date of the ban.
*grin*
JC is a smoker so I think he's happy to be here before the ban takes effect

You also need to check out a few bars that weren't mentioned if you are going to get the whole experience

Woody's sports bar. Smaller place a couple blocks down from the main strip but always fun and always good drinks.

There's Mickey's - if nothing else it's shiny stainless steel look is worth going in for a cocktail.

Not to forget food too, there is Cyclone Anaya's - a newish Mexican place just a block up from Cedar Springs. They make a pretty good Margarita

and one of my Favorite Restaraunts is the Bronx, right next to the Warwick Melrose hotel he talked about.

If you were going to be here on a Tuesday I would suggest "trashy bar tuesday" which is over away from the strip a bit with Crews Inn and Zippers. You might like it there with the dancers...

Can't wait to see you here at the end of the month JC. We'll make sure you have a great time!
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DFWSkylink
There's Mickey's - if nothing else it's shiny stainless steel look is worth going in for a cocktail.
Yeah, one reason I didn't mention them is the lack of any kind of air circulation.....I'm staying out of there until April 10th! LOL But it IS especially fun on a Sunday night...
Old Mar 16, 2009, 5:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
I am so excited for the smoking ban, I hope some day Orlando goes in that direction.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by DFWSkylink
*grin*
JC is a smoker so I think he's happy to be here before the ban takes effect

You also need to check out a few bars that weren't mentioned if you are going to get the whole experience

Woody's sports bar. Smaller place a couple blocks down from the main strip but always fun and always good drinks.

Not to forget food too, there is Cyclone Anaya's - a newish Mexican place just a block up from Cedar Springs. They make a pretty good Margarita

and one of my Favorite Restaraunts is the Bronx, right next to the Warwick Melrose hotel he talked about.

If you were going to be here on a Tuesday I would suggest "trashy bar tuesday" which is over away from the strip a bit with Crews Inn and Zippers. You might like it there with the dancers...

Can't wait to see you here at the end of the month JC. We'll make sure you have a great time!
Thanks, good stuff! Lets see how many of these place we get to see. Looking forward to it.

Yeah, one reason I didn't mention them is the lack of any kind of air circulation.....I'm staying out of there until April 10th! LOL But it IS especially fun on a Sunday night...
I'm staying till Monday and taking the day off, so sounds like that could be good plan for Sunday. Thanks for the info.
Old May 12, 2009, 8:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
...and Bengal Coast (http://www.bengalcoast.com/), both located in the Centrum building
Is that now where Dralion used to be? I really enjoyed that restaurant and loved the decor of the place. But it's been years since I was last there. I am surprised to see that Steel is still open. I thought it was having some difficulties a year or two ago.
Old May 19, 2009, 2:36 pm

My house is in the gayborhood. A mere 15 blocks from the end of the runway of Love Field.

Some thoughts.

First dangerous...please so much drama.

Melrose is the place to stay. Great historic hotel. Walking distance to nightlife. Just park the car.

Other bars a short drive/cab from Melrose:
Eagle - Great leather bar. New space opens next month. (Of course they have been saying this for two years)
If your taste is for the crystal meth go-go boys and are slumming it, the Tin Room can be fun on a weekend night. Great for the ego too. You are guaranteed to be the prettiest one there.
Sunday afternoon at the Hidden Door tends to have a lot of post softball players. (Post 3pm). Another spot where you will feel pretty

If you have a thing for latin guys there is a great gay old fashioned latin disco on Maple Avenue. Forgotten the name.

I second Northpark mall for high end shopping.

If you want a 1950's feel take a cab for lunch at the original downtown Neimans and eat at the Zodiac room with the last of the "Ladies who Lunch".

No need to visit the zoo. Plenty of animals on Cedar Springs and the Eagle.
Old May 19, 2009, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL Plat / UA Gold 1MM.
Originally Posted by MrMan

If you have a thing for latin guys there is a great gay old fashioned latin disco on Maple Avenue. Forgotten the name.
Kaliente. (sic)
Old May 19, 2009, 11:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
OP, there is nothing to see in Dallas. Find a nice hotel, lock yourself in your room for a few hours/get some exercise/etc, then make your way back to the airport for your onward flight
Old May 19, 2009, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Oh, sorry, I just read beyond the first post. I guess there is a lot to do in Dallas.
Old May 21, 2009, 5:26 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Hmm I think I'll have to try Roundup and Kaliente, just because they're two experience that you won't be able to match in London!

Some practical questions about DFW nightlife please...

1. What time do people go out usually?
2. Are people big on checking IDs? Usually I use my UK licence and it's ok but I know in some cities (I had a lot of problems in SEA for example), they'll only accept my passport.
Old May 21, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
Great info thanks to all contributors for this. I'll be on a short stopover in Dallas in July (17th) staying at the Adolphus or some such name... 3 questions for the locals or those in the know....
1. Is the hotel ok?
2. Is it far from any nightlife?
3. Is there a bar where the clientele is more my end of the age spectrum (40-ish... ahem!) than teenybopper?
THX for the advice
Phil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.