Wiki Posts
Search

Dallas - Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Dallas - Ideas?

I have 2 short trips to Dallas in the very near future:

June 20, an 8-hour layover at DFW, and from July 4 to July 6/7.
Any suggestions? I've never really been/discovered Dallas before. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated I'm 22 years old, if that helps.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:48 am
GSR

Programs: AA 2MM
As far as the 8-hour layover, you could go visit the AA C.R. Smith Aviation Museum. http://www.crsmithmuseum.org/home.htm. You should definitely check out Terminal D, the new one, which has some good dining choices.

In terms of leaving the airport, you would need to take a cab to do much of anything or else rent a car for a short time. There is a lot of shopping north of the airport at a place called Grapevine Mills (google it for more info). You could also drive to Ft. Worth and take in a couple of musuems there, including the Kimball or Modern or Amon Carter (check here).

HTH. Feel free to respond with any questions.

Last edited by GSR; Jun 18, 2007 at 11:58 am
Old Jun 19, 2007, 7:00 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I've gotten really cheap daily car rentals there before...like $30 all-in from Hertz. I don't know what there is to see (we went to the Zoo and out to eat when we had a long layover) but you should check the car rental rates before just going with a taxi.

On the negative, there may be a rental car surcharge since you're under 25, so check into that as you make your decision.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:59 pm

For the Zoo, that would be the Ft Worth Zoo (nice), not the Dallas Zoo (not so nice).

But yes, a car is pretty much required to do anything.

You could maybe catch the shuttle to the Trinity Railway, but it will take a lot of time. DFW is pretty much one of the worst for easy/cheap transit from the airport and will be that until 2013 I think when the light rail will finally reach the airport supposedly.

BillJ
Old Jun 20, 2007, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advices and suggestions. I've figured something out- at least part of it. A friend of mine is going to get me at the airport today and show me around for a few hours until its time for my flight later on in the day today

For the later part of the trip, I will definitely keep those places in mind. It looks like I will probably end up getting a rental car, which shouldn't be a big problem. I was initially planning to stay at Westin Galleria Dallas; and go nowhere else but from the airport to the hotel and back to the airport. Now that some people have given some ideas and stuff, I would like to see them.

Do you think Westin Galleria will be a good place to stay at? I choose Westin just because I have SPG Gold. That would give me late check-out and club room.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:05 am

The Westin is great if you like to shop.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 2:21 am

Wow! Dallas really sounds exciting. There is a museum and a zoo.

Come on people, here is a 22 year old asking on a GLBT site about what to do when visiting Dallas. Do you really think he wants to know about museums and zoos?
Old Jun 22, 2007, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SmoothGuy

Come on people, here is a 22 year old asking on a GLBT site about what to do when visiting Dallas. Do you really think he wants to know about museums and zoos?
Hey, I like museums ... and, maybe ... the zoo

What else would I be doing in Dallas then? Haha.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)

Okay, then how about the National Scouting Museum in Irving, TX.

During a 6-8 hour layover you're not going to hit any nightlife, so it's just a matter of what's available during the day. Furthermore, Austin is a lot more interesting. Dallas just doesn't have a lot of stuff from what I remember. Personally I'm not a nightlife person, so I wouldn't have suggestions there anyway. I would expect there should be some big things going on for the Fourth of July, but you'd have to go look those up.

Besides, I didn't see you make any suggestions. Maybe there really isn't anything else to do in Dallas...
Old Jun 22, 2007, 1:52 pm

Southlake Town Center

You can take a cab or drive your rental to Southlake Town Center. It is 10 minutes west on 114. You can park and shop, eat or people watch your 8 hours away! I much prefer it to Grapevine Mills. It is a great complex ... everything from movies to local boutiques to national high end stores or just have a Jamba juice or starbucks and browse!
Old Jun 22, 2007, 2:00 pm

more Southlake info

The brand new Hilton (small boutique style) just opened in Southlake Town Center. Along with all of the other great Town Center shops & eateries it is a great time to hang out with the "beautiful people". That is what we do in Texas... Eat, Drink and Shop!! Oh yes, I love the CR Smith. It is great for all ages.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 3:02 pm
GSR

Programs: AA 2MM
The OP's original 8 hour layover is over. It was two days ago, but I suppose the Southlake suggestion is a good one if someone searches in the future.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:30 am
Original Poster

The Southlake area sounds like something I might have to check out when I get to Dallas.

And yes the 8 hour layover is over. It was rather uneventful; here's part of my day on Wednesday: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=706112

I finally got stranded in Dallas for a night, and flew out Thursday morning
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:12 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum

Same thought here. We've got other forums for these kinds of suggestions!

The gay area in Dallas is called Oak Lawn. It's primarily centered around Cedar Springs Road and Oak Lawn Ave.

I haven't lived in Dallas since the mid-ninties, so some of this is probably out-dated, but not as much as you might think.

The strip is bookended by two bars, one for the boys and one for the girls. Being Dallas, they are called (yes, I'm serious) J.R.'s and Sue Ellen's. J,R.'s was a very preppy/frat boy kind of crowd in my day, but I know the bar kept getting bigger and bigger and probably expanded its focus. What was once the Village Station is now, I think, S4 "Station 4" and was always a great place to go. It's a mutli-level club with a huge dance floor, outside patios, and a drag show in the "Rose Room." It was always a great time and should at least be checked out, but I suspect JRs is more the place to be.

Don't miss an opportunity to head across the street to the Round-Up Saloon where you can enjoy watching the men two-step together. Trust me, it's not ironic for most of them. It is Texas, after all. If you're really brave, have one of them show you how. They'll love to show you, and you'll have a blast.

The other clubs up and down the street and around town all come and go much more quickly than these, so I doubt I know any of them. (Is there even still a Crew's Inn to go to on Tuesday nights??)

Who else has GLBT-oriented info to share for Dallas?

BTW, the great hotel in the area is the Melrose. It's a small, boutique hotel (maybe a small chain, maybe not), so you're not going for points, but for a place to stumble back to with your new friend(s). Don't worry, they've seen it all at the Melrose even though it is a very nice and charming hotel.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks, <b>robb</b>!

Originally Posted by robb
Same thought here. We've got other forums for these kinds of suggestions!

The gay area in Dallas is called Oak Lawn. It's primarily centered around Cedar Springs Road and Oak Lawn Ave.

I haven't lived in Dallas since the mid-ninties, so some of this is probably out-dated, but not as much as you might think.

The strip is bookended by two bars, one for the boys and one for the girls. Being Dallas, they are called (yes, I'm serious) J.R.'s and Sue Ellen's. J,R.'s was a very preppy/frat boy kind of crowd in my day, but I know the bar kept getting bigger and bigger and probably expanded its focus. What was once the Village Station is now, I think, S4 "Station 4" and was always a great place to go. It's a mutli-level club with a huge dance floor, outside patios, and a drag show in the "Rose Room." It was always a great time and should at least be checked out, but I suspect JRs is more the place to be.

Don't miss an opportunity to head across the street to the Round-Up Saloon where you can enjoy watching the men two-step together. Trust me, it's not ironic for most of them. It is Texas, after all. If you're really brave, have one of them show you how. They'll love to show you, and you'll have a blast.

The other clubs up and down the street and around town all come and go much more quickly than these, so I doubt I know any of them. (Is there even still a Crew's Inn to go to on Tuesday nights??)

Who else has GLBT-oriented info to share for Dallas?

BTW, the great hotel in the area is the Melrose. It's a small, boutique hotel (maybe a small chain, maybe not), so you're not going for points, but for a place to stumble back to with your new friend(s). Don't worry, they've seen it all at the Melrose even though it is a very nice and charming hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.