Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2-3 days in thailand

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Prepaid is great! Now that it has long since been charged there should be no questions from the hotel or SPG. When you check in all they should care about is that the rate is "prepaid." Someone clearly made a mistake.
I am confident you made the right choice by staying in BKK. BKK can take some time since the city is spread out and most of the time the roads/taxicabs in the tourist areas can be a nightmare. I always stick with the skytrain when I can.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:18 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Lots of Pattaya-bashing, some of it deserved, but Pattaya is what it is and has been that way for decades. Some of it is fairly lowdown and sleazy, but it can also be a lot of fun if you put your lorgnette away once in awhile. Still, I would only suggest Pattaya to a gay traveller who has already been to Thailand once or twice and definitely not to someone who is in the country for only 2 or 3 days.

As for the song taeos being "scams," I've never had a problem. The rule of thumb is that if you hail a moving song taeo (I usually wait for the driver to honk to see if I want to be picked up), it is the 10 baht fare. If you go up to an idle song taeo or ask the driver to deviate from the normal route, you are hiring it as a private vehicle and the rates will be higher (check out the chart that is usually on the window between the cab and the back of the taxi). In those cases it is best to negotiate the rate BEFORE you climb aboard. Of course there will be some taxi-scamming done (usually of the naive or inebriated), but I have often found that the accusations of scamming by song taeo drivers have more to do with misunderstanding or miscommunication. I typically paid 20 baht total traveling from Naklua to Dongtan Beach, which is a ride of perhaps 10 or more kilometres, as this normally entailed taking two separate "taxis" at 10 baht each.

Last edited by Rampo; Feb 27, 2007 at 1:45 pm
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Rampo
Lots of Pattaya-bashing, some of it deserved, but Pattaya is what it is and has been that way for decades. Some of it is fairly lowdown and sleazy, but it can also be a lot of fun if you put your lorgnette away once in awhile. Still, I would only suggest Pattaya to a gay traveller who has already been to Thailand once or twice and definitely not to someone who is in the country for only 2 or 3 days.

As for the song taeos being "scams," I've never had a problem. The rule of thumb is that if you hail a moving song taeo (I usually wait for the driver to honk to see if I want to be picked up), it is the 10 baht fare. If you go up to an idle song taeo or ask the driver to deviate from the normal route, you are hiring it as a private vehicle and the rates will be higher (check out the chart that is usually on the window between the cab and the back of the taxi). In those cases it is best to negotiate the rate BEFORE you climb aboard. Of course there will be some taxi-scamming done (usually of the naive or inebriated), but I have often found that the accusations of scamming by song taeo drivers have more to do with misunderstanding or miscommunication. I typically paid 20 baht total traveling from Naklua to Dongtan Beach, which is a ride of perhaps 10 or more kilometres, as this normally entailed taking two separate "taxis" at 10 baht each.
There are some fun daytime activities and very popular drag show productions in Pattaya but most gay travelers are interested in the night life and it is very straight and sleazy. Almost worth going for the entertainment value of watching straight people both young and old acting out and seeing them way too intoxicated as if they are on drugs.
The "song taeo" ride in question went 2-3 blocks along its normal circular route and charged us 50 baht per person (100 total). Part of the problem is that I DID negotiate with the driver. Had I just jumped in and got out I probably would have only paid 10 baht which was posted with a sign in the back. I totally disagree that taxi scamming is done JUST to the naive or inebriated. Many taxi's in Thailand would scam you if they could so that is why it is important to know your stuff ahead of time. One time, after insisting they use the meter on a relatively short trip in BKK, I followed our route on a map and began to notice he was taking kind of longer circular route and still not avoiding traffic. After reaching over 100 baht I paid and got out of the taxi and got on the skytrain. Wasted a good amount of time. Another time my partner just offered 50 baht flat out rather than using the meter and the taxi got us to the Hyatt at a record pace within just a few minutes. Some rides were OK but you always have to be on your toes.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Originally Posted by ryan-twob
Thanks again for additional advice; I've gone ahead and canceled Pattaya as we'll have more than enough beach time in australia.

Definitely going to try to get some tailored clothes, try to see a palace or two, a market, a boat ride - geez that already sounds like a lot. Some of the suggestions on clubs/social environs look great too. I am very appreciative of the advice, and, quite honestly already feeling less "stressed" about the traversing component without having to deal with getting to/from Pattaya.

Meanwhile to answer some questions about the rate - It was just dumb luck; I was nosing around the SPG site a couple months ago looking at whether to book using points or pay for rooms and the westin rate popped up at 260 baht. It was a pre-pay rate and I have saved and printed both the email confirmation and the reservation confirmation on the SPG website that show the rate in baht; I should take my charge slip receipt as well, I suppose. The rate was gone the next day. It's a pre-pay fully non-refundable and has already been charged (and paid for) on my Amex. I know that things like priceline rates don't even show up necessarily at the hotel, so that I am not sure if they will see the rate when I check in or not? I suppose I will get hosed on this but wonder if I can contest on credit card (SGP Amex). We will see. Wonder how starwood is about honoring these rates...
Well done, OP! This is really a find. Having the receipt and reservation confirmation will be great. Be ready to have these challenged by the hotel but stand your ground.

There are some nice tailors along Sukhumvit but even more touristic rip-offs. My suggestion is to check out the usual recommendations but inspect the materials/prices with a fine comb. Like most moneyboys, there is a good reason why some tailors are out there touting for custom.

Think Pink @ Bed Supperclub on Sunday nights was a bore. And the food really needs to be improved. Go real late at midnight or if DJ is too packed.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:13 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Rampo
Agreed - Pattaya town itself is kind of sleazy. However, the Sheraton is located south of town up on the hill and shares the private beach with the Royal Cliff Beach Resort (disclosure run and owned by members of my family - which was started in the mid-70s and is the largest resort in Pattaya. So this area is relatively insulated from the sleazy part of town itself but near enough if that's your interest.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 1:47 am
adr

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, IC RA
Agree with the general Pattaya-tone. Spent one of the worst days of my life there. Yuk.

In Bangkok, Skytrain is great. In peak hour, a short trip can take an hour or so by taxi, or 10 minutes by Skytrain. And they are nice and clean.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:21 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by westcoastman
I totally disagree that taxi scamming is done JUST to the naive or inebriated.
I'm pretty sure that I said "usually" and not "JUST," and I was writing specifically about Pattaya. I rarely have a problem with metered taxis in Bangkok either, but I do avoid the ones hanging outside hotels or popular nightlife areas.

Also, I don't think that either the Sheraton and Royal Cliff are on the regular baht bus routes, so one would probably have to negotiate a fare or take a mocy taxi. The only metered cabs in Pattaya are those that have brought a passenger from Bangkok or the airport and are looking for return passengers (after the drivers finish their siestas).

I know Pattaya is not to everyone's taste, but I've had fun there and met great people as I have in Chiang Mai, Phuket, Bangkok and many other places in Thailand. And I have noticed that quite a few Mid and Hi So gay Thai (who tut tut about how sleazy Pattaya is) somehow manage to pop on down for a weekend now and then to hit and hire at the gogo bars. But never with their non-Thai friends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.