Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2-3 days in thailand

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2007, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

2-3 days in thailand

BF and I are doing a 3-night stopover in Thailand on the way to meet friends in Australia. Currently we have plans to stay the first two nights in Bangkok (@ Weston Grande Sukhumvit, which I somehow scored for 220 baht/night), then one night at the Sheraton Pattaya resort, then back to BKK for an overnight to SYD.

We arrive the first night, a Wednesday, at about midnight, so that really with this schedule we would only have one night on the town in Bangkok, and then all day thursday and a good part of the day on Friday in the Bangkok metro area, before heading to Pattaya.

Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts they are willing to share about what we should spend our time doing in those 2-3 days/nights? Is Pattaya a bad idea given the short stay and extra transit time we are involving? We would be interested in going out in Bangkok but we are not hardcore party types or anything - our interests are varied from cultural to shopping to dining. We are 34 and 27.

I have read some of the threads here and other sources, but I have not been able to get my arms around a list of "musts." I would assume we will be back at some time for a more relaxing amount of time, but any thoughts on how to spend a short stay would be very welcome!
Old Feb 25, 2007, 4:43 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
Given the short amount of time you are in Thailand, I question what value the side trip to Pattaya will give you. If you arrive at midnight Wednesday, essentially you will go to your hotel and sleep. There will be some street activity, markets and bars open, but they will close between midnight and 2am. That effectively gives you Thursday day and night to explore Bangkok, and some of Friday. Then it will be a 2-3 hour trip to Pattaya depending on your form of transport, and a night there, before returning to Bangkok to depart for Australia.
In Pattaya you will see a beach, more shops, and bars. I would think you could spend your time more enjoyably in Bangkok.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 7:50 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Agreed on Pattaya. I foresee a long transfer from Bangkok just to laze a day by the pool at Sheraton. The sewage pipes in Jomtien by the gay beach are just an eyesore. And it is impossible to take a beauty nap when you are prodded from all directions by touts and desperate money boys.

For Bangkok, it is possible to cover some of the best cultural sites over a day or two. Check Fodors for their BKK quickies for suggestions. I like the whole Grand Palace/Wat Pho via long boat trip.

On the gay side, even the non-hardcore guys enjoy starting the evening with a drink at Sirocco/Vertigo, then dinner at Eat Me, then cocktails (!!!) at Telephone/Balcony before squeezing in with the crowd at DJ. Give the boy bars a miss now that the boys have clothes on.

If you guys are naughty, turn up at Babylon at 12 noon to secure your deck chair for the meat parade. These days there are more body beautiful Euro clones than Asians in the place but it sure makes for better poolside ogling.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:48 am

Thumbs up 220 Baht/night

The Westin for 220 baht/night (~US$6). That's what I call a deal!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:34 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Avoid Pattaya. In nearly a dozen trips to Thailand, I have. And I don't feel like I've missed a thing. From what I understand, it has a vaguely pleasant beach but that's about it, apart from the sex industry (the city became what it is today as a result of being the leading R&R destination for American soldiers in Vietnam). Thailand has far more pleasant beaches, some ranking as world-class destinations, for which Pattaya is a very poor substitute. Get your Thai beach time on another visit, when you can do Koh Phi Phi, Krabi, Khao Lak, Phuket, or Krabi. Also, you need to allow much more time for transport than the Bangkok-Pattaya distance suggests; even with the elevated highway, you won't be doing 60 mph for the whole ride.

A day or day and a half is very little time in Bangkok, especially on a first visit. This thread, in the Thailand forum of FT, has a robust discussion of must-sees in Bangkok on relatively short visits or 3 days or so. It should be a handy guide for you.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Did Pattaya once and I really enjoyed the Marriott Resort there but that was it. Taxi's seem non-existent and the "Songthaew" (where you ride in the back of a pick up truck) are a scam. They are supposed to have low set prices of 10 baht but end up charging a lot more (50 baht) just to take you a few blocks. The nightlife in Pattaya is a sex wonderland for straight people and the beach is far from prestine.
The public bus is a very inexpensive way to get there and does not take that much longer than private car. Not too much different than a Greyhound. But either way the 2-3 hours can be draining.
In Bangkok, don't rule out Babylon. It is huge and relatively inexpensive to enter and lay out by the pool and drink or visit their comfortable sit down restaurant which is a decent value and tasty as well.
There are so many places to see in Bangkok and things are so spread out you will only be able to hit just a few sites.
Be sure to have something in writting to back up that rate you have. $6 does not sound right but I bet the hotel can be over $200 during peak times.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!

Thanks for the advice and links to other threads; I did a search but it's tough to wade through the clutter sometimes. The Pattay nix jives with my suspicions... trying to do too much (as usual).

For the Westin, I was wrong, the rate was 260 Baht; I have my starwood confirm showing it as a prepaid non refundable rate... we'll see what happens.

Rate Information
Rate Description :
Daily Rate per Room : THB 260.00
Total Room Rate : THB 520.00

Additional Mandatory Charges : Vat of 7.70% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate.
Svc Chg of 10.00% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate.

Cancellation Policy: Non-Refundable Deposit- Too Late To Cancel A 1 Night Penalty Is Applied. Cancel Before March 04, 2007 4 Pm Hotel Time To Avoid 100 Percent Penalty.
Rate Plan Description: Res Via Internet Only, Fully Prepaid, Cancel Rules Apply, No Changes Allowed, Cancellation Outside 48 Hrs.Forfeit One Night, Within 48 Hrs.Forfeit Entire Stay
GTD/Deposit Policy: 100 Percent Deposit Charged On January 25, 2007. For reservations guaranteed with a form of payment at time of booking, rooms are held until hotel check-out time the day following arrival. For reservations not guaranteed with a form of payment at time of booking, rooms are held until set cancellation time per the rules of the reservation. In the event more guests arrive than can be accommodated due to hotel overbooking or an unforeseen circumstance, and hotel is unable to hold rooms consistent with this room hold policy, hotel will attempt to accommodate guests, at its expense, at a comparable hotel in the area for the oversold night(s), and will pay for transportation to that hotel.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:24 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
260BH (US$8) !!!! For a hotel that charges Bh6000 (US$171)???
You got yourself a great deal! Cancel Pattaya and just enjoy the sheer Westin experience!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:37 am

There is so much to do in BKK. It is a fascinating place, albeit crowded, noisy, polluted, etc. Chinatown rocks, as does food all over town. Great shopping. So fun to just ride up and down the river to the end of the line. 3 days isn't long enough at all. Especially with jet lag. PS. There are lots more interesting places to go next time than Pattaya. Maehongson, to name one. Koh Samui to name another.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Alawyer
260BH (US$8) !!!! For a hotel that charges Bh6000 (US$171)???
You got yourself a great deal! Cancel Pattaya and just enjoy the sheer Westin experience!
Can the OP share how he got the 260BHT rate? Pretty please
Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by lakwelone
Can the OP share how he got the 260BHT rate? Pretty please
I think the price he was quoted was actually in US$ as there are two decimal places "260.00" Good luck to OP on getting the room for 260 Baht!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by rgronenb
I think the price he was quoted was actually in US$ as there are two decimal places "260.00" Good luck to OP on getting the room for 260 Baht!
I was shocked as well, I was on the Westin site looking for that rate.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:24 am
Original Poster

More thanks and comments on Westin reservation

Thanks again for additional advice; I've gone ahead and canceled Pattaya as we'll have more than enough beach time in australia.

Definitely going to try to get some tailored clothes, try to see a palace or two, a market, a boat ride - geez that already sounds like a lot. Some of the suggestions on clubs/social environs look great too. I am very appreciative of the advice, and, quite honestly already feeling less "stressed" about the traversing component without having to deal with getting to/from Pattaya.

Meanwhile to answer some questions about the rate - It was just dumb luck; I was nosing around the SPG site a couple months ago looking at whether to book using points or pay for rooms and the westin rate popped up at 260 baht. It was a pre-pay rate and I have saved and printed both the email confirmation and the reservation confirmation on the SPG website that show the rate in baht; I should take my charge slip receipt as well, I suppose. The rate was gone the next day. It's a pre-pay fully non-refundable and has already been charged (and paid for) on my Amex. I know that things like priceline rates don't even show up necessarily at the hotel, so that I am not sure if they will see the rate when I check in or not? I suppose I will get hosed on this but wonder if I can contest on credit card (SGP Amex). We will see. Wonder how starwood is about honoring these rates...

Last edited by ryan-twob; Feb 27, 2007 at 6:53 am
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by ryan-twob
Wonder how starwood is about honoring these rates...
Well since it's been months, it would be difficult for them to claim error at this point. SPG posted rates for the Le Meridien Khao Lak in UGX instead of USD and offered a compromise rate of $50 USD/night. I think you'll be fine since it's a prepaid rate and you have already been charged. Let us know how it turns out.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:32 am
adr

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, IC RA
try Bed for dinner/supper/drinks, if you ar there on gay-night (Sunday?? can't remember)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.