Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Seattle Gay Nightlife Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seattle Gay Nightlife Review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
I am in my early 20s and have found the Seattle scene to be kinda iffy. Hit and miss, if you will. Granted, I'm a student and spend most evenings in a book, but don't feel like because you're not yet 21 that you're missing a great deal. Enjoy Seattle!
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:03 pm

Programs: United MP (Platinum), AS (75K), AA (GM)
I have just gotten back from a long weekend in Seattle and agree with the OP's review. I only wish I had read it before I left.

I'm from the east coast and I found The Cuff to be a bit too big for the size of the crowds that were in there. But then again, since was from out of town, I really didn't know when the "best" time to go was on Sunday night. I've found that the "sweet spot" time for every bar is different.

I'll also agree with other posters about the general gay-friendlyness of the city. I was also in several "straight" bars but saw many gay people there and for straight people it was simply not an issue or a big deal.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by tj722
I'm from the east coast and I found The Cuff to be a bit too big for the size of the crowds that were in there. But then again, since was from out of town, I really didn't know when the "best" time to go was on Sunday night. I've found that the "sweet spot" time for every bar is different.

I'll also agree with other posters about the general gay-friendlyness of the city. I was also in several "straight" bars but saw many gay people there and for straight people it was simply not an issue or a big deal.
Thanks for your follow-up. I cannot emphasize enough to not limit yourself to gay restaurants or clubs. I make the same mistake by limiting myself when I travel to other cities as well. The city is as gay friendly as it gets and there are some good restaurants downtown and some hip "gay-friendly" clubs (but not "gay") on Capital Hill and in Belltown. If you are traveling alone most nice restaurants provide friendly but still upscale dining at their bar.
The sweet spot for The Cuff on Sunday is early evening before 10 PM probably as is the case of most Sunday night beer busts. But like any city the scene has its ups and downs from week to week and the past couple of months (October - December) have been pretty icky in Seattle. For obvious reasons the Cuff will pick up as days get longer. I have observed more straights out and about in the gay area recently. Straights are always out early and often despite the weather.
Now doing Seattle of a weekday is a feat unto itself so I must come up with some ideas for that but I bet other people here have spent a lot more time at the clubs on weekdays during their stays in Seattle than I have.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Here are some updates for Seattle:
1) At The Cuff I hear that Friday night is typically not that good but the club still insists on charging a $4 cover. Recently the dance floor was empty yet I was told that it was busy for a Friday for that club.
2) I have been told that the "sweet spot" for the Cuff on Sunday is between 8 and 10 pm. Still some people after 10 pm but most of the younger crowd has moved on by then.
3) Madison Pub has been fairly busy early both Friday and Saturday night and typically develops a short line to get in (even though the club does not seem to be at capacity). They never charge a cover.
4) I have been told that at Purr Cocktail Lounge everyone moves on to either Neighbors or The Cuff at midnight so don't bother going there too late.
5) Even on slow weekends Neighbors seems to gather a crowd very late at night (after 1 am) that move there from the various other bars. Remember that their weekend cover is only $5 before midnight - $8 after.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by westcoastman
3) Madison Pub has been fairly busy early both Friday and Saturday night and typically develops a short line to get in (even though the club does not seem to be at capacity). They never charge a cover.
A line? Your kidding right?
I guess I need to get out more... I can not even imagine standing in line at the Madison Pub...
Old Dec 18, 2006, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

I read on the Seattle Times that Seattle has the 2nd highest conentration (about 12%) of gays outside of San Francisco (about 15%) in America. But as a newcomer, it just doesn't feel that way or am I missing something?

Is everything concentrating/happening in Capitol Hill and only there?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Capital Hill reached its peak several years ago. While it still holds the concentration of clubs and bars it is far from the hub or "gay ghetto" that it use to be. The gay community has become more assimilated within the city core thanks to shows such as Will and Grace. Much to everyone's surprise the day of gays drinking in gay bars, getting gay haircuts, eating at gay restaurants and waving rainbow flags is coming to an end.
According to the Seattle's Stranger Newspaper: "Gays and lesbians are being so rapidly assimilated into the mainstream of American life that it sometimes feels as if we may drown. Much of what we think of as gay culture--the attitudes, hairstyles, sex, and lefty politics that set us apart--is being rapidly undermined by a mainstream culture that wants to see us assimilated, as well as by gays and lesbians who want to assimilate."
Even in the suburbs outside of Seattle the feeling of acceptance in drastically different from the days when I was growing up 30 miles outside of the city. However, trying to find anything "gay" in the suburbs (including Bellevue) can be difficult beyond a few isolated clubs mostly frequented by lesbians. For a new gay resident trying to adjust to Seattle not having a strong core or base camp to gravitate to can certainly be disconcerting.
While at least 12% of Seattle's population is gay I also think at any given time a large amount is in committed relationships. The city provides formal Domestic Partnership registration and most government and many local private employers provide full benefits to DP's (Microsoft, WAMU, Boeing, etc.).
The key is to take advantage of this assimilation and enjoy whatever you enjoy most in the entire city with confidence and a strong self image, realizing that your paths will always cross with many gays and lesbians in wherever you decide to visit or play.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 6:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite, Avis First, Hertz PC
I would definitely agree. Even if 12% of Seattle's population is the second highest compared to SFO - in sheer numbers it doesn't seem quite comparable. The assimilation could be a good explanation for this feeling.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Capital Hill reached its peak several years ago. While it still holds the concentration of clubs and bars it is far from the hub or "gay ghetto" that it use to be. The gay community has become more assimilated within the city core thanks to shows such as Will and Grace. Much to everyone's surprise the day of gays drinking in gay bars, getting gay haircuts, eating at gay restaurants and waving rainbow flags is coming to an end.
According to the Seattle's Stranger Newspaper: "Gays and lesbians are being so rapidly assimilated into the mainstream of American life that it sometimes feels as if we may drown. Much of what we think of as gay culture--the attitudes, hairstyles, sex, and lefty politics that set us apart--is being rapidly undermined by a mainstream culture that wants to see us assimilated, as well as by gays and lesbians who want to assimilate."
Even in the suburbs outside of Seattle the feeling of acceptance in drastically different from the days when I was growing up 30 miles outside of the city. However, trying to find anything "gay" in the suburbs (including Bellevue) can be difficult beyond a few isolated clubs mostly frequented by lesbians. For a new gay resident trying to adjust to Seattle not having a strong core or base camp to gravitate to can certainly be disconcerting.
While at least 12% of Seattle's population is gay I also think at any given time a large amount is in committed relationships. The city provides formal Domestic Partnership registration and most government and many local private employers provide full benefits to DP's (Microsoft, WAMU, Boeing, etc.).
The key is to take advantage of this assimilation and enjoy whatever you enjoy most in the entire city with confidence and a strong self image, realizing that your paths will always cross with many gays and lesbians in wherever you decide to visit or play.
Thanks for the reply and information. That was my intuition but nothing beats the perspective of a local. Actually, I am not the type who is into the San Francisco Castro style of city - that is a bit too much for me. I kind of like the subtleness of Seattle except as a newcomer, it can be hard to adjust when you get a feeling that no one else is around! As for gays in committed relationships, that sure is a positve development that I am happy to see - so long as there are enough singles around. But I have this fear that all the good ones are already taken... Ah well...
Old Dec 24, 2006, 3:25 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I agree to a certain extent with you. I live on the hill but before moving to the hill had been coming up here for about 9 years. Over the last 5 years I have noticed a decline but I think that with the new construction of both condos and apts the hub of Capital Hill Broadway where most of the issues seem to be will soon fade away and a new Capital Hill will be born since there will be a greater vested interest in this particular area. Even though Capital Hill is no longer the gay ghetto there is still plenty of gayness to go around and well having the straights up here can be quite entertaining.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 3:38 am

sorry double post

Last edited by fly4funsea; Dec 24, 2006 at 3:39 am Reason: double post
Old Dec 24, 2006, 3:41 am

I have had some issues with service as well. I have actually had such a bad experience there one time I yelled at the hostess and walked out of the place. Chefs are pretty quick but the servers are in no hurry to get the food to you so you have to be aggressive with whoever walks by. Some of the dishes are decent but chicken salad does not sound like something I would order there. They have a decent hamburger and sometimes have early bird specials on weekdays which include strip steak, salad and dessert for around $13.
I would save Broadway Grill for a warm summer afternoon as a location for prime people watching with expectations of a casual meal. Service can suck and don't let them sit you in the back unless you prefer dark windowless dining.
Yup gotta agree with the service. It often times can be darn right nonexistent! Well unless you are one of the super uber pretty ones If one chooses to dine on Broadway here are my suggestions in no particular order. Tacos Guymas, Pho 900, Pho Tran (?), Charlies (if you like old school jazz you'll like it here), Espresso Vivace for coffee and Julia's on Broadway. Julia's has some really kick butt breaky and a grrrrrrreat burger.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly4funsea
Yup gotta agree with the service. It often times can be darn right nonexistent! Well unless you are one of the super uber pretty ones If one chooses to dine on Broadway here are my suggestions in no particular order. Tacos Guymas, Pho 900, Pho Tran (?), Charlies (if you like old school jazz you'll like it here), Espresso Vivace for coffee and Julia's on Broadway. Julia's has some really kick butt breaky and a grrrrrrreat burger.
I hate to say this but personally I find the service at Julia's to be the worst on the Capital Hill and mostly because of the slow cooks even with no crowd. IMHO, The breakfast is amazingly terrible and most people I know would not go to there unless they were attending one of their weekend shows. The original one in Wallingford is probably better but the one on Broadway does not make the cut for me or most people I talk to.

Charlies is one I forgot which was quite popular years ago back when smoking was legal. I should probably give it another try now since I no longer have to sit in a choking cloud of smoke.

I prefer Pho Cyclo for pho compared to other two. Pho Tran is the original and an award winner but I feel it is not really that good. PhoGa 900 (which means Chicken Pho) opened recently to rave reviews but something about the long and skinny design of this restaurant with lots of flies during the summer makes me feel like I am eating in a coffin. Maybe it feels better in the winter. But supposedly "the food is fresh" and good for non-pho entrees as well.

Espresso Vivace is very popular with locals and has excellent coffee but provides very limited seating (most of it outdoors at small tables). Be sure to try others if you can such as B&O (where Pearl Jam conceived its name), Bauhaus, Cafe Vita, etc.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 1:10 am

I hate to say this but personally I find the service at Julia's to be the worst on the Capital Hill and mostly because of the slow cooks even with no crowd. IMHO, The breakfast is amazingly terrible and most people I know would not go to there unless they were attending one of their weekend shows. The original one in Wallingford is probably better but the one on Broadway does not make the cut for me or most people I talk to.

Charlies is one I forgot which was quite popular years ago back when smoking was legal. I should probably give it another try now since I no longer have to sit in a choking cloud of smoke.

I prefer Pho Cyclo for pho compared to other two. Pho Tran is the original and an award winner but I feel it is not really that good. PhoGa 900 (which means Chicken Pho) opened recently to rave reviews but something about the long and skinny design of this restaurant with lots of flies during the summer makes me feel like I am eating in a coffin. Maybe it feels better in the winter. But supposedly "the food is fresh" and good for non-pho entrees as well.

Espresso Vivace is very popular with locals and has excellent coffee but provides very limited seating (most of it outdoors at small tables). Be sure to try others if you can such as B&O (where Pearl Jam conceived its name), Bauhaus, Cafe Vita, etc.
I guess I like the decor at the new Julia's minus the stage. I haven't had any issues with the food (yet) and the lack of an hour or so wait is nice unlike the one in Wallingford. I don't care for the noodles at Pho Cyclo cause they stick together like they've been waiting in queue in a cooler or something. Many of my Asian friends and a few who are Pho snobs have said the noodles shouldn't be sticking together. So I go to Pho Ga 900 and they take credit so I can still get my miles with Alaska ^ Vivace does have a location on Broadway and Denny (?) with tons of seating and a closed off meeting room for groups or if people need a quiet space to study or read. I like Bauhause sometimes in the summer because they have Kool-Aid and ding dongs LOL. B&O have some really yummy desserts but I'd stay away from the rest of the food, too foofoo for me.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Update for Friday 12/29:
At 11 pm there was a fairly long line once again for Madison Pub. The problem with their line is it is very slow - they only let in a couple groups every 5 or 10 minutes.
IMO Purr Cocktail Lounge was packed. The crowd was people in their 20's and 30's. The bartender felt it was relatively quiet there since most of the time she said you can't even move in there. Even with the full crowd getting a drink was pretty easy. I certainly would recommend stopping by Purr when in Seattle. Things get going well before midnight. It seems my impression that the bar is cliquish, has more to do with not having "the look" and less to do with an indifference towards stangers but everyone seemed to be very friendly with with each other. While it is more of a cocktail lounge they did have a DJ and there was no food being eaten despite the fact that they serve it.
Sugar was completely dead after midnight but there were a few pretty boys inside. They had a sign outside that said FREE COVER and the door man was recruiting people walking by to go in. At least it has a decent dance floor which Purr and Madison Pub do not. Sugar is the place to go for special events so watch their calander however it was not bad to pop in when there is no cover. They are really trying to push their Sunday night "Revival" parties (6-midnight) starting on Jan 14th so we will see how that goes.
Neighbors Nightclub was already charging $8 and was pretty dead which is typical before 1 am but I think even more so on this Friday night. Neighbors is NOT the place to go early in the night.
Mama's Pizza is a great place to grab a quick late night snack after or in between clubs. The quality slices are hot and fresh and continously being replenished in alternating varieties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.