Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gay Marriage anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by youngORDboi
Be Hypothetical all you want. I know for a fact I'm dating American Citizens.
So that's how I got in this predicament... I did not immediately ask if he was a US Citizen, and then show him the door when he said no. See, you are never too old to learn something.

Anyway, let's try another hypothetical. Your boyfriend has a medical emergency (you choose: car accident, plague, whatever) and is unconscious and the hospital will not tell you what is going on, nor let you make any treatment decisions.

BillJ
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:11 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GeorgeK
Let me guess you're single right???

I used to think the same thing when I was single 15 years ago. Now 15 years later, having been lucky enough to be in a very healthy and loving relationship, I want the right to chose to marry.

I want the same protection that my siblings have when it comes to health care rights and decisions as we get older. Yes, we have the wills and all of the legal documents but to walk into a hospital and say "he is my legal spouse" has a lot of immediate rights/privleges without having to dig out a will or living document if you need to get into an IC unit to see your partner.

The word "Marriage" also has a sentimental meaning in this country and I want nothing more than to marry my spouse, legally in this country with our friends and family.

Lastly, just because "marriage" may not be for you, can you at least try to understand and to support those of us who really want too. My partner and I have no interest in adopting or having children but I don't complain when gay families are fighting for adoption rights in FL or other parts of the country. I fully support the cause.

The time is right to PUSH and DEMAND for our right to marry and if you're not for it then don't get married but again, please try to support it.
I love Roseanne Barr when I heard her recently say "why are gay people pushing for marraige anyway, have'nt they already sufferred enough!?"

But seriously, we were so close to getting a legislative majority and stalling Bush, and the "liberal" courts had to put us back on the front burner of scaring the "fundies" to the polls.

Let's want what we want but strive for reality. Reality is that the word marraige scares them way to much, and who ends up losing, we do, year after miserable year. Everytime the fundies run to the polls to vote against us, they pull all the ( R ) levers also. We would already have hospital, tax, and inheritence rights on the federal level if we just hit America with the words "Civil Union". You substitute any polling question out their with those two words and we go way above 50% in almost every demographic. I'll settle for "seperate but equal" , for now. They are too stupid to know that it is the same thing. Eventually enough of them will die off and you can have your "marraige." But in the mean time, let's be smarter than them and just change the words to our benefit. It is only for 10 years or so.

As for marraige, the hetero world has already botched that up badly enough. What is their success rate for this "sanctity", 45/46%. Give me break fundies! If you want to protect marraige and the family, get a constitutional ammendment to ban divorce "outside of God's law." Allow re-marraige only in the event of adultery or death of a spouse. THAT is God's law. AHH, but now they start to squirm, see them, squirming in their pews? Now they are uncomfortable because your pointing the finger of truth at them, the real destroyers of "family values."

As for me, I'm with Roseanne!!

Last edited by jadedinsider; Oct 30, 2006 at 6:28 am
Old Oct 30, 2006, 2:57 am

Programs: SNBA Privilege Blue, FB Ivory, M&M basic
What is marriage? According to Wikipedia: "A marriage is a relationship between or among individuals, usually recognized by civil authority and/or bound by the religious beliefs of the participants. The fact that marriage often has the dual nature of a binding legal contract plus a moral promise can make it difficult to characterize."

It's exactly what's in this last sentence which makes the debate on the introduction of the possibility for same sex couples to get married so difficult, both in the US and other countries. In my opinion it al depends on how secular a state is, both in law and day to day reality. The more secular a state is, the less its laws are influenced by religious morality and the easier it is to press for a modern application of the law.

The same for the law on marriages. In a secular state ideally a marriage with rights from and duties to the state is a civil marriage, where the relationship can only be recognised in the town hall F.e. after calls for full equality for all citizens, whether straight or gay, in the Netherlands no special law was made for same sex couples to get married. It was as simple as getting the reference to man and woman to be scrapped from the marriage law.

Unfortunately there was a catch. Because of international pressure, as far as I know, there was/is no possibility for gays and lesbians to adopt children from outside the Netherlands.

Dutch religious traditionalists (one could call them also fundamentalists) argued that this drive for equality is against what the Bible teaches. That argument was countered: churches are still free to decide whoever they marry. Obviously Roman catholic churches do not wed same sex couples, however after long debates quite a number of the protestant churches followed the civil wedding law and made it possible for same sex couples to have their wedding blessed in the church.

My advice in this debate would be to have a step by step approach. Aim for civil union as a first step. At the same time try and make it clear to the public at large that in a modern western society civil wedding and church wedding are/should be two separate matters. If all citizens in our societies are supposed to be equal for the law then the legislators should also consider making it possible for the gay and lesbian citizens to marry for the law.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:24 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thank you royalwing!!!

Thank you for making my point much more eloquently than I ever could. Only in America does the boundary of civil and religious marriage cross lines. Correct me if I am wrong. Perhaps I should have said only in the western world? A perfect example of this for those of us more "simple" minded folks, Prince Charles and Camilla. I remember vividly their wedding day. They and the "Family Firm" trotted down to the city hall and performed a "civil" ceremony to be legally wed in the eyes of the state, they then proceeded to the chapel to wed in the eyes of the church. Two distinctly and seperate situations. Only in America do the lines blur. I am sure there are other places, but most western world nations have seperation of the two. Where else in western society does the clergy perform BOTH. Where else does the clergy say "by the power vested in me by the state of ____ ?" Talk about violation of the speration of church and state?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:10 am

Programs: SNBA Privilege Blue, FB Ivory, M&M basic
Originally Posted by jadedinsider
A perfect example of this for those of us more "simple" minded folks, Prince Charles and Camilla. I remember vividly their wedding day. They and the "Family Firm" trotted down to the city hall and performed a "civil" ceremony to be legally wed in the eyes of the state, they then proceeded to the chapel to wed in the eyes of the church. Two distinctly and seperate situations.
That is indeed an excellent example where state and church are separated and basically two ceremonies took place, a civil and a religious.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:53 am

Programs: MM
time to move on
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you can say confidently that you will never fall in love with someone who isn't a US citizen? You must have a better crystal ball than the rest of us.

Imagine your best friend, who you really care about, falls in love with someone who isn't a citizen. Then can you see the value of marriage?

In any event, like I said above, even if you don't want the rights for yourself, it doesn't mean that you can't have empathy for those who do. Like I said before, if the white majority didn't emphathize with African Americans, the latter wouldn't have the right to vote.

In a totally selfish world, whites wouldn't have given blacks the right to vote. In fact, to some extent voting is a zero sum game (the more people who vote, the less my vote counts), so expanding the number of people who had the right to vote actually takes away from those who do the expanding. (Unlike marriage, which is not a zero sum game.) Would you also be indifferent to losing your voting rights?
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:50 am

While for it, I dislike the fact that it seems to have become the defining goal for the LGBT community.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
how do they know you are gay? are you a little femenine?
No, just look good and well mannered. Versus some straight slop (and there are gay men that are also total pigs so don't get me wrong) wearing a baggy "Hooters" sweatshirt from Wal Mart. Like the other night when the 300 pound troll sitting next me was snoring and passing gas the entire flight. Spent about all of the flight in the first class galley with the FAs as to pass out from the stink.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Think about it: when you are a young man, all you want is sex, sex, sex. Who cares about relationships or that "deep" stuff?
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by behuman
Gay marriage ? Makes me vomit to copy the straight .

The UK solution with the "Civil Partnership" seems more appropriate to me as it gives legal status to a relationship for health, taxation, inheritance, immigration etc....

It is specifically same sex (unlikely the PACS in France) and can be done by simply registering with two witnesses. For the romantics a "ceremony" can of course be done and there are many businesses catering for the ridicolous and not so .

Gay identity to me is about NOT copying the straight with their obsession to procreate .
Well, we had our 'Civil Partnership' just over a week ago (October 20th!)

We have been together for ten years and for us it was important that we protect pensions, inheritance (no inhertiance tax in the UK between spouses) and the like. We faced the situation that if one of us died, the surviving partner would have had to have sold our house to pay the 40% inheritance tax on the estate. This is now no longer the case.

Plus of course we had a really great bash with 150 friends to help us celebrate

Nigel.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:43 pm
Original Member

Sitting here in Detroit overlooking the Detroit River and Windsor, ON gives an interesting perspective on the subject. There are loads of people who cross in either direction between Michigan and Windsor to go to work every day.

One acquaintance lives/citizen of in Canada, works here for a large consulting firm, crosses every day for work, his partner is a school teacher in Canada. He doesn't want to get married because it's awkward to cross into the US when you are (and he obviously does it every day).

Another acquaintance lives/permanent resident of Canada, works for large consulting firm, partner a banker/citizen in Canada. They married so they could live together (which they do in Canada). They wanted to be together, so they married.

I was seeing a guy in Windsor for about 6 months. Not a great relationship, but a strangely comforting feeling that for the price of a tunnel toll, I could be married with all the legal benefits thereto applying.

Clergy from the US can do ceremonies in Canada with little fuss. MCC/Detroit does it fairly often. Again, for little more than the price of a tunnel toll and recording fee in Canada, you can be legally married (even as both are US citizens).

Legal firms in Canada advertise weekly in our GLBT newspaper. It clearly is an untenable situation that every New Jersey decision puts a nail into the coffin.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:21 pm

Programs: MM
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Traveller

We have been together for ten years and for us it was important that we protect pensions, inheritance (no inhertiance tax in the UK between spouses) and the like. We faced the situation that if one of us died, the surviving partner would have had to have sold our house to pay the 40% inheritance tax on the estate. This is now no longer the case.

Plus of course we had a really great bash with 150 friends to help us celebrate

Nigel.
Congratulations! Wish you all the best.
Gary
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Traveller
Many contragulations and to many more happy years!
An FTer and no details about the honeymoon ?
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wcj1
So that's how I got in this predicament... I did not immediately ask if he was a US Citizen, and then show him the door when he said no. See, you are never too old to learn something.
That's what you get for not sticking to the American citizen only gay bars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.