Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam / Netherlands Car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

My partner and I will be in Amsterdam next month for three days. I can rent a nice car fairly cheap with Sixt during that time. Anyone have any advice if its worth it or not to get the car?

We're staying at the Intercontinental and I don't know if we will want a car for intra-Amsterdam travel and if there is anything for us to be travelling to during the day that woul require a car? Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I wouldn't. The city is compact, public transportation is good, taxis are plentiful and the bicycles will drive you insane. I don't know what the Intercontinental would charge you to park the car, but you would also have to park once you get where you're going, which would also be a pain. OTOH, they seem to like to park all over the sidewalks.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Don't bother.

As ILuvParis says, A'dam and Holland have wonderful public transport.

If you're only in for three days, the car will be a waste and I'm sure parking charges will be astronomical.

Even if you want to go outside A'dam, trains are fast, cheap and very reliable.

A'dam is a VERY walkable city. And when you get tired, take a canal tour and rest your feet.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 5:13 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jgoodm
My partner and I will be in Amsterdam next month for three days. I can rent a nice car fairly cheap with Sixt during that time. Anyone have any advice if its worth it or not to get the car?
How exactly does this query specifically relate to gay travel?
Old Mar 31, 2006, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by oiRRio
I think the OP and his partner might be gay. Nevertheless, I'm sure he appreciates your thoughtful response on whether he needs a car.

Seriously, however, he probably should have asked whether he needs a car to get from his hotel to any of the gay venues in which he might be interested or posted it somewhere else. Maybe he also knows that in this particular forum he will get a quick response on questions about Amsterdam because it is such a popular destination for gay travelers.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I think the OP and his partner might be gay. Nevertheless, I'm sure he appreciates your thoughtful response on whether he needs a car.

Seriously, however, he probably should have asked whether he needs a car to get from his hotel to any of the gay venues in which he might be interested or posted it somewhere else. Maybe he also knows that in this particular forum he will get a quick response on questions about Amsterdam because it is such a popular destination for gay travelers.
Although not said, yes I did mean to ask about gay related places in Amsterdam. That is why I gave the name of the hotel I was staying at so those in the know would have a frame of reference from my starting point to the gay areas.

Also, yes, this forum tends to have a lot of travellers to Amsterdam.

Not sure why taking the trouble of responding to complain my posting here, but nevertheless, thanks for the responses.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:40 am

Best advice: Don't rent a car if just visiting central Amsterdam. Airport taxi is 15euros flat.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by oiRRio
Maybe he wants an available back seat!

Actually, don't rent a car. I wouldn't even take a taxi in to town. There are trains that take your directly from the airport to the center of town very inexpensively, and very frequently.

Have fun.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:29 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

All right - let's get back on topic and not whether or not this question is appropriate for this forum - anyone that feels a post is not appropriate for this forum should use the "report post" function (red triangle on the bottom left portion of each post) and one of the moderators will certainly take a look at the post/thread and act appropriately.

Thanks,

peteropny - co-moderator - GLBT
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:16 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Pointeater
Best advice: Don't rent a car if just visiting central Amsterdam. Airport taxi is 15euros flat.
That is the BUS. A taxi from Schiphol Airport AMS to Amsterdam city center is between 30 and 40 euro.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:19 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by jgoodm
Hi All,

We're staying at the Intercontinental and I don't know if we will want a car for intra-Amsterdam travel and if there is anything for us to be travelling to during the day that woul require a car? Thanks.
Never, ever rent a car for travel within the city of Amsterdam. Parking costs 4 euro per hour, trams, bicycles and pedestrians will drive you crazy, your travel time will be longer than when you walk or take public transport. Amsterdam is a very walkable city and for longer distances just rent a bicycle.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:40 pm

Programs: just above cargo
Not worth it at all. It's a city with a small centre, parking is expensive and difficult (as it should be), and unless you're going for the art (I guess someone has to ), you won't be in a fit state to drive half the time anyway.

What *is* worth doing is renting bikes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.