Search

Which Hotel in Auckland?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2005, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Question Which Hotel in Auckland?

Will be there for a short trip in Feb just 3 days. Thanks all.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Nov 15, 2005 at 10:32 am
Old Nov 3, 2005, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL,
The Hyatt.

Have fun in Auckland.

David
Old Nov 3, 2005, 11:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K UAL Premier Exec
I'd suggest the Park Hyatt. Great location.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:12 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Your budget

Personally I like City Life (www.citylife.co.nz) - you usually get a suite and it's in the heart of town with what passes for gay bars not too far away. The Hyatt is somewhat remote and certainly a good hike uphill
Old Nov 7, 2005, 7:56 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Hilton Auckland

Going to throw in a vote for the Hilton. Nicest 5 star property in all of AKL I think.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Which would be the best interms of the to the main bars ?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:19 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Crown Room Club Member, United Mileage Plus, HiltonHonors
When I was in Auckland this past June I stayed at the "Spencer on Byron Hotel." It was just outside the city center, but was easily accessible by a city bus which got you into the city within five to ten minutes depending on traffic. The rates were reasonable and each room had a bedroom area, living room area, small kitchenette with a fridge, oven and dishwasher, as well as a washer and dryer. It's rated as a 4 1/2 star hotel and the rooms are going for about $119/nt at the moment.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 7:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DavidHatt
The Hyatt.

Have fun in Auckland.

David
I also like the Hyatt, especially if you reserve a room on the Club Floor. The views are great, especially from the Club Lounge. We were there over a weekend at the end July, and the staff were very attentive. The only caveat is the hill you will have to climb to get to the hotel, but we got used to it.

The Mercure Windsor is a nice boutique hotel. I stayed there in 2002. It's on Queen Street, so you'll be close to all the shopping and dining in central AKL. (There's also a Mercure at the end of Queen Street that used to be a Novotel.) Check the Accor Hotels website for deals, because they occasionally have good rates including breakfast on the weekends. If you stay at the Windsor and are a light sleeper, make sure you get a room that does NOT face Queen Street.

http://www.accorhotels.com.au/
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:03 am

Mercure Windsor

I've stayed at the Mercure Windsor on several occasions (as have colleagues) and the rooms are so variable that getting a decent one is a total lottery. Some are excellent, others are ..........
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have still not booked the hotel so please keep the comments coming as the Hyatt is a good choice but with my arthritis I do not look forward to the slope.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 10:55 am

Angry Not the Hyatt Regency!

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I have still not booked the hotel so please keep the comments coming as the Hyatt is a good choice but with my arthritis I do not look forward to the slope.
If it's the Hyatt Regency, forget about it. The service is lousy. Stayed there 2 yrs ago and they never made the room until well after 6pm even when we left the room early 8.30-9am, left the "MAKE UP" sign on the door and called to housekeeping to make the room! Complained several times to the manager and he didn't do a thing about it. Worse part about it, we paid for one of their more expensive Jr. Suite room.

I finally complained to Hyatt Corp through their website, and they refunded 1 night stay of our 4 nights there.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 9:39 am

Service

NZers pride themselves on their supposed egalitarianism and you will sometimes find poor service as a result. "I'm just as good as you are" (a common attitude) doesn't lend itself to "What can I do to make your stay more comfortable?"
Old Nov 28, 2005, 5:56 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I have stayed at the Hyatt three times -- smallish rooms but great club. Never had issues with service.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 5:35 am

Programs: Qantas Gold, Marriot Silver, Sofitel, USAir, Delta,Meritus,Plat IC Ambassador
Only stayed at the Duxton in Auckland and loved it.

I booked a cheap package months in advance for a work trip, they upgrade me to one of their 'apartment rooms' which was a suite with a nice kitchenette, a washer/dryer, a spa bath. Loved the breakfast (included in my room rate) downstairs and the room service food was quite good. My washer/dryer didn't work properly so they did my laundry the whole week at no charge (washed/dryed and folded and brought back within an hour each time!).

Luckily I wasn't sleeping in because there was a school next door and their class alarm bell rang right outside the bedroom.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you all, I am still waiting to book a hotel. read about the Sky City Grand, what is that one like? Any feedback?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.