Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

SW: Disparaging comments from Pax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW: Disparaging comments from Pax

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL GM
OT, but funny

This reminds me of my one-and-only trip to a WalMart--in Virginia Beach, on a family vacation. I was standing around, people-watching with my brother-in-law (who had also never been to a WalMart, and looks it). These two really dumb-looking guys in their early 20s were talking about how Steven Segal was suppsoedly a mafioso. One said "No way--I heard he was a f*ggot!" Forgetting where I was, I blurted out "God, I hope not!" in my best Auntie Mame voice. They looked at us with terror in their eyes, and fled.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:21 pm

Thanks for the laugh!

I got a mental picture of Rosalind Russell with a cart!
Old Sep 27, 2005, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), AS MVPG, DL DM, HH Dia(life), Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by vincom
I avoid the typical pax of SWA... Vincent
And what does a typical SWA pax look like????

GENERAL COMMENT - NOT AIMED AT ANY ONE INDIVIDUAL
It is interesting to me how people can complain about being stereotyped or offended by stereotypes when often, "in their writing", they identify stereotypes in others....
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:16 pm

Vaguly in the same vein...

I’m occasionally asked how it is working with a bunch of ::insert your word of choice here:: Usually my response is something along the lines of “I love it, they actually keep the galley clean, and don't try to hit on me!” It’s great fun. But my favourite is when PAX ask something along the lines of ‘so how many flight attendants are gay, really?’ I look them right in the face and sweetly tell them that in my year working here, I have *never* worked on an all-straight crew. The inevitable response is a shocked unbelieving look, “Not even once?” “Not once”. I keep smiling, and then this usually slowly fads to understanding looks and a laugh when it dawns on them. Some never get it, though.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bayotter
These people think that everyone else agrees with them, which is why they go on and on.
I read After the Ball a little while back and it made this point over and over again. A major tenet of the strategy they outlined to combat homophobes was to "jam" these people up by making it clear that (1) most people disagreed and (2) saying these kinds of things about gays was not going to win them approval from friends or other people they look to for approval.

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
"No Sir, I am sure that you will not be exposed to any unfortunate infections. As regards the Purser's sexual orientation, that is his business and none of mine, however I am sure whatever activities he undertakes he will practice as practice as we all know makes perfect. Now if you have any further doubts, I am happy to re-seat you elsewhere where you will be in no doubt whatsoever."
Priceless, Pucci as always.

I was actually just telling my partner your story of the "my wife doesn't talk to the hired help" pax.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:49 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
I had a wonderful friend who was in a department store once when he heard a man (loudly) tell his son, "That's the kind of shirt fags wear and I'm not buying it for you." My friend turned around and said (fairly loudly), "Excuse me sir, but I'm a fag, and I would NEVER wear that shirt." The effect was priceless.

Last edited by sushibear; Sep 29, 2005 at 7:16 pm
Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:41 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by FlyLots
Does this happen alot? Similar experiences? Anyone would have handled it differently? Anyone would have been enraged rather than simply dumbfounded?
As anyone who's watched Airline can attest, he was probably just "under the influence of being a homosexual." Happens all the time at Southwest
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sushibear
I had a wonderful friend who was in a department store once when he heard a man (loudly) tell his son, "That's the kind of shirt fags wear and I'm not buying it for you." My friend turned around and said (fairly loudly), "Excuse sir, but I'm a fag, and I would NEVER wear that shirt." The effect was priceless.
Bravo!
Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
As anyone who's watched Airline can attest, he was probably just "under the influence of being a homosexual." Happens all the time at Southwest
What a piece of work that guy was
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Nothing wrong with a "Sir, I find your conversation offensive and if you don't shut up voluntarily, I'll shut you up involuntarily". Of course, if he doesn't shut up you have to do something about it, but I'm sure a few of the FA's would be willing to play the old security card to assist in this type of situation.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 7:11 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Doppy
What a piece of work that guy was
I'm I the only one who keeps hearing the voice of Nicholas the gate agent at BWI in every post in this thread?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.