Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

SW: Disparaging comments from Pax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW: Disparaging comments from Pax

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2005, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by ecaarch
When they talked about one of the FAs, I woulda said, "He is kinda cute...do you think he's available?"
Yes!

I also probably would have pulled out my Advocate and OutTraveler magazines, smiled as I made sure to display the occasional sexy print ad (hmmm, seen that Hyatt one with the frolicking couple in the waterfall?), and -- as I always do -- leave them behind for future travelers to peruse.

Rednecks and bigots travel on all airlines. I wouldn't not fly on SW because of an odd passenger or two (hmmm, have you ever seen Airline?).
Old Sep 22, 2005, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by FlyLots
I am really not trying to let this color my view of SW, and specifically my stereotypes of the type of people that fly SW, but it's getting really hard......
I am having a difficult time taking your post seriously. You are making a remark about someone saying derogatory comments about a group of people.

Your first sentence includes derogatory comments about a group of people (i.e. SW passengers).
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:52 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 16, 2007 at 2:44 am
Old Sep 23, 2005, 7:05 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by trvlr70
Ignorant people are everywhere in this country. Comments like his just make him appear unintelligent and immature. Who cares?
Sorry to jump in, but from where I sit I have invariably found that those who have the most to say have the most to hide.

The majority of balanced people are totally uninterested as to whether "he/she "is" or not".

For my money, I would treat this as ignorance and another symptom of fares cheap enough to allow people like this to graduate from Greyhound buses. PLease do not think that this is confined to your country. One unspeakable pig (in CW) asked me whether the Cabin Purser was "a bit bent"

"I'm sorry" I said " whatever do you mean?"

I mean said he in the sort of tones in which one usually addresses one's servants

"Is he, Madam, to your knowledge a practising homosexual? If he is I do not want him serving me as I might catch something." (I'm giving you the bare bones of this - it was surprising that he went on living past that point)

"No Sir, I am sure that you will not be exposed to any unfortunate infections. As regards the Purser's sexual orientation, that is his business and none of mine, however I am sure whatever activities he undertakes he will practice as practice as we all know makes perfect. Now if you have any further doubts, I am happy to re-seat you elsewhere where you will be in no doubt whatsoever."

That shut him up!
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PLT, UA-Prem, BA-Silver, SPG-PLT, Hyatt-PLT, Hilton-GLD
Originally Posted by 4thplz
I am having a difficult time taking your post seriously. You are making a remark about someone saying derogatory comments about a group of people.

Your first sentence includes derogatory comments about a group of people (i.e. SW passengers).

Criticism taken. I would point out that I worded the first sentence the way I did to say that I realize that I have stereotypes about SW passengers and my having them makes me uncomfortable and I try and correct them. However, this incident did nothing but support those stereotypes unfortunately.

I would also say that while I do not fly SW all that often, it would never occur to me not to fly them simply because I don't want to be around "that type of passenger". I tend to avoid SW, simply because I don't like their product offering, as I don't have the ability to either pay more or upgrade to a superior cabin in terms of room and service and most importantly I find the lack of preassigned seating to be silly, annoying and unfortunately my schedule does not afford me the luxury of getting to the airport in time to secure an "A" boarding card.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
Classy with a "k". Ignorant people suck (and not in a good way).
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:30 am

I don't see a point in getting offended over such incidents unless you're prepared to say ot do something about it. Otherwise, aren't you just giving yourself an ulcer while he blithly prattles on?
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
The one time this happened to me, I was sitting in F on a CO flight. The guy next to me made a few comments about the male flight attendant to me, and the flight attendant was within hearing range and definitely heard them. I happened to have copies of current issues of both The Advocate and Out in my bag. I pulled them out and proceeded to read them and make it very obvious to the guy sitting next to me who had made comments about the male flight attendant's orientation that I was not straight. That shut it up real fast. The passener next to me also appeared quite disgusted when my drink got refilled about three times as often as his did during the dinner service by the male flight attendant working in F. The flight attendant was also much more polite to me, addressing me by name throughout the flight. When I was finished with my dinner tray the flight attendant said "Would you like for me to remove your tray, Mr. Sullivan? May I get you anything else?" A few minutes later when rude guy was finished eating, the flight attendant said "Are you done?" and before an answer was given he jerked the tray up off the guy's table.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ssullivan
The one time this happened to me, I was sitting in F on a CO flight. The guy next to me made a few comments about the male flight attendant to me, and the flight attendant was within hearing range and definitely heard them. I happened to have copies of current issues of both The Advocate and Out in my bag. I pulled them out and proceeded to read them and make it very obvious to the guy sitting next to me who had made comments about the male flight attendant's orientation that I was not straight. That shut it up real fast. The passener next to me also appeared quite disgusted when my drink got refilled about three times as often as his did during the dinner service by the male flight attendant working in F. The flight attendant was also much more polite to me, addressing me by name throughout the flight. When I was finished with my dinner tray the flight attendant said "Would you like for me to remove your tray, Mr. Sullivan? May I get you anything else?" A few minutes later when rude guy was finished eating, the flight attendant said "Are you done?" and before an answer was given he jerked the tray up off the guy's table.
Nobody takes care of family like family.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 9:17 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Originally Posted by 4thplz

Working for them, you probably see a lot more WN passengers than we do. Those negative ones I've run into on WN and DH generally seem to be the type of people that don't get out too much and are probably drawn out by low fares, while the negative ones I've run into on US/UA/NW are those that apparently travel too much (probably on business accounts) and feel entitled.

While 95% of the passengers aren't those that you notice, the 5% are the ones that make the impression and get applied as the global perspective of that type of passenger, especially when you infrequently travel that carrier.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:16 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
That shut him up!
I hope you all treated him as badly as he deserved !
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:44 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by GK
I hope you all treated him as badly as he deserved !
Trust me!
Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Sorry to jump in, but from where I sit I have invariably found that those who have the most to say have the most to hide.

The majority of balanced people are totally uninterested as to whether "he/she "is" or not".

For my money, I would treat this as ignorance and another symptom of fares cheap enough to allow people like this to graduate from Greyhound buses. PLease do not think that this is confined to your country. One unspeakable pig (in CW) asked me whether the Cabin Purser was "a bit bent"

"I'm sorry" I said " whatever do you mean?"

I mean said he in the sort of tones in which one usually addresses one's servants

"Is he, Madam, to your knowledge a practising homosexual? If he is I do not want him serving me as I might catch something." (I'm giving you the bare bones of this - it was surprising that he went on living past that point)

"No Sir, I am sure that you will not be exposed to any unfortunate infections. As regards the Purser's sexual orientation, that is his business and none of mine, however I am sure whatever activities he undertakes he will practice as practice as we all know makes perfect. Now if you have any further doubts, I am happy to re-seat you elsewhere where you will be in no doubt whatsoever."

That shut him up!
^ (snickering here...)
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:25 am

Programs: NWA Lowly Silver ; Priceline Whore
regarding the original situation, I would have said, "You seem unusually obsessed with them.. why is that?" ... winked at the woman... and then gone back to my book...
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:59 am

I, for one, have never done anything behind a barn before, but I'm very curious, and I probably would've asked that sw passenger to give me details on what its like

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.