Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Rio New Year Hotel Options--Advice Please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rio New Year Hotel Options--Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Sort of last minute, but the partner and I have decided to spend NYE in Rio this year as well. However, only 4 nights, so that rules out many of the hotels. Would the Portinari be a decent choice? From what I see it's not too far from the Sofitel, which people here seem to rate very highly....
You might have a luck contacting hotel directly to find out if they are willing to do a deal for four nights.

Last year I was thinking of going to Rio for the New Year and couple of days before NYE IC was suddenly open for redemptions as well.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:50 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
A couple of my friends from New York just booked in to Rio and elsewhere in Brazil over the upcoming New Year's holiday. They took advantage of (a modified version of) the package deal being offered by a TA in connection with Ric Sena's Alegria Events. www.alegriaevents.com will have a poster for the NYE party in Rio and a link to the travel agency. My friends reported that the whole deal was VERY expensive but came with a lot of inclusions that, they think, added significant value. You can also be assured that you'll be with lots of other GGG boys. The drawback: you'll be with lots of other GGG American boys.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:28 pm

Fortaleza=huge waste of money

Not having the correct information available to me, I was so excited to be arriving here in December 08. All the literature was positive, but sadly nowhere near the truth.
If you are Gay, and looking for a friendly destination, this is DEFINITLY NOT THE PLACE TO GO!!!
There is a grand total of 1 [one] gay bar that is open, and IF YOU ARE OVER THE AGE OF 25 THEY WILL MAKE YOU STAND IN LINE FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR, IF THEY WILL LET YOU IN AT ALL!
They seemed to rejoice in the fact that they had a "gringo" waiting out front as a more or less trophy, and in fact I finally lost patience offered $40 and they announced it to the crowd in bold gloating pathetic pronouncment.
I have been on a 6 month "round the world tour, Istanbul, bucharest, Prague, London, Lisbon, you get the picture, I have been welcomed with open arms.
Only when I arrive in bumfu** ignorant Fortaleza, do they deny anyone with whiter skin (and i think also) being over 25, they will use your face as a promotion to the entry of the locals, only young and stuck up are welcome!
How humiliating!
At all costs go to Fortazleza (if you have no alternative), but this is really good advice, if you are over 25,
Prepare to bre humiliated at the one and only gay bar in town!

Last edited by 6moworldtraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 9:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.