Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

New Orleans Hotel Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2005, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G; Delta Diamond; AA EXP; Marriott LT Plat; Hyatt Globalist

My friends and I are going to a wedding in Baton Rouge in November and since none of us had been to New Orleans, we thought we would spend a couple of days there. Any hotel recommendations? If anyone's had some good experiences at some of the hotels there, please let me know. I don't know New Orleans at all, but I am looking to stay somewhere safe, as we probably will be going out late at night. Are there areas to avoid and areas that I should see? Any travel recommendations would be appreciated as well...like places to see and eat, etc. Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
A lot depends on your budget. I'd definitely find a place in the French Quarter because you can walk to the fun spots in the area. Your hotel should be able to give you safety tips, but I think you'll be fine and have lots of fun.

If you're careful, the well traveled parts of the Fench Quarter are fairly safe. However, late at night, if you wander a block or two off the beaten path you can find yourself in trouble. Best piece of advice I ever got was walk on the opposite side of the street from where the cars are parked. Streets in the French Quarter are one way. Bad things don't happen a lot to tourists, but they do happen.

One caveat: Some people are surprised to find NO a little grungy in appearance. I guess pictures in travel magazines make it look pristine. It's not. At all. Just be ready for that and realize it's "part of the charm." I can recommend restaurants: Bayona, Peristyle, Commander's Palace (a cab ride) to name three. Most of those will require reservations several days to a week in advance. No matter what anyone tells you avoid "The Court of Two Sisters."

Have fun. November's usually a great month.

Last edited by sushibear; Aug 14, 2005 at 8:20 pm
Old Aug 14, 2005, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
My B/F is a native and we make the trek a couple of times a year to see the "in-laws". Sushibear had some excellent comments I second them all. For a good restaurant guide go to www.nola.com for reviews.

Since your signature says that you have status in several hotel programs, I would find a hotel in the Quarter that you can get for free with points. In New Orleans, gay-friendly (or at least tolerant) would be assumed. As a Marriott PointHo, I have found the Rennasiance Pere Marquette to be my favorite. As Sushibear said, do not wander off the beaten path (a location "near the French Quarter" is no good).
Old Aug 17, 2005, 9:22 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
There are tons of hotels in NOLA and most are very convenient easy to get around and safe....just keep your city streetsmarts....there are many gay B&Bs as well. People like the W's.

DEFINATELY AVOID THE COURT OF 2 SISTERS!!!

For the closest to the gay bars....Bourbon House (I think a Wyndym hotel) is kitty corner to the Pub and Oz.

Stuff to do aside from the usual:
*Graveyards (if you go to commanders for lunch, there are some accross the street)
*Drag Bingo with Bianca on Fri nights 6 PM at the Oz
*Sing-a-long Sunday afternoons early eves at Good Friends upstairs
*Sunday tea all over
*Julia St art gallerys (modern and cool stuff), daytimes and 6-9 PM every first sat of the month
*Bywater art market every 3rd sat of the month with Brunch at Elizabeths a block or so away
*Frenchman street with lots of good music bars and restaurants (better later in the night)
*Vaughn's Lounge with Kermit Ruffin's every Thurday night, late starting around 11 or so....in the Bywater....between sets their is free red beans and rice

My food recommendations:
*Raw oysters at ACME (on Iberville) or better at Couter Brown's (at Riverbend, carrolton and St Charles)
*Dinner at Marisols (at Charters and Esplanade near the French Market) or Dick & Jenny's (?Napolean & Tchopatoulas)
*Lunch at Commanders Palace or if you like duck, the Duck Breast, Almond Butter and Petter Jelly Sandwich for lunch at Bayonas (and upgrade from the traditional PB&J!)
*Late night, something from the Quartermaster Deli AKA The nellie deli (St Phillip & Bourbon) or something at the Clover Grill (Dumaine & Bourbon)
*Everyone has to do Biegnets at Cafe Du Monde (St Ann & Decatur)
*For fried/boiled seafood, Deannies (Iberville & Dauphine) or Jack Dempseys in the Bywater (Poland & Charters)
Old Aug 18, 2005, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Gold (lifetime/1.7 MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
On the higher end, try Hotel Maison de Ville, especially their secluded Audubon Cottages. You'd never know you were staying in the heart of the French Quarter. http://www.maisondeville.com ^

We will be staying there again the next time we are in the Big Easy.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:20 pm

Programs: Platinum AA, Gold Skymiles, *wood Platinum
this is a great place

my #1 recommendation, but sshhhh....
Old Aug 28, 2005, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Smile

Here are two trip reports from a recent visit to New orleans.

During my visit I stayed at the W Hotel (poydras) and the Hilton Riverside
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Revived an old thread and perhaps part of the advice is no longer accurate due to the hurricanes of a few years ago.
Apart from the large chain hotels in the French Quarter, are their any Gay B&Bs that provide good value?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:23 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Haven't been there in a long time -- my bad, I know -- but just the other day did a thorough hotel search for a straight friend for his very first visit. Conclusion: for a French Quarter location, loads of charm etc. in a mainstream hotel, the Royal Sonesta would be the pick; many many others to choose from of course, including much newer properties, but many also seem to have some downside or another. Omni would be the other choice for this type of lodging, but it sounds like major room renovation is going on this season, so best to avoid it for right now. There do seem to be lots of great deals to be had at this time, even over Thanksgiving week. If you particularly want Gay lodgings, a little search should also turn up nice things I believe; try Purpleroofs.com for instance and see what they offer. Have a great time there and let us know about it...
Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:12 am

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Update: My friends just got back, they adored the Royal Sonesta, its location, and its restaurants too.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Update 2: I got back last Sunday from a Thanksgiving trip to New Orleans. Stayed at Hotel Astor, located at the beginning of Bourbon St. A good location with a nice restaurant.

However, the time of the year was less than ideal due to "Bayou Classic", the annual football game between Grambling State University and Southern University.
The town was filled with thousands and thousands of fans which led to overcrowded streets and some brawls. I am a male and are ok with it, but for women it would probably have been very uncomfortable and sometimes scary.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:15 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I lived in NOLA so didn't stay in any hotels, but lots liked the W French Quarter since it's more unique in the way the hotel is set up and actually in the Quarter. The other one isn't far and more traditional W set up...
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:50 pm

We are going here in May 2010 for week

http://www.thegreenhouseinn.com/home2.html

Heard its really good and nice place.
Have not been personally so guess need to wait until May
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I lived in NOLA so didn't stay in any hotels, but lots liked the W French Quarter since it's more unique in the way the hotel is set up and actually in the Quarter. The other one isn't far and more traditional W set up...
+1.

Stayed at the W FQ a few times (and will be there again in May). Great boutique type property but standard W amenities. Stumbling distance from all of the bars on Bourbon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.