Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Holly folly in provincetown dec. 4-6 - anyone been to this event?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold

I've heard about the Holly Folly Weekend in Provincetown for years and have always wanted to go. Well, it looks like this is the year! I've done web searches and found a few sites, but nothing about actual reviews or articles of the event.

www.hollyfolly.com

A few questions:

Has anyone been to this event in the past?

Was it well attended/interesting? What was the best part?

How was the weather in December? (I'm flying CapeAir and know PVC is not set up for IFR operations).

Any help would be appreciated! If you're going, maybe this would be a nice FT get together.

Last edited by PremExecSNA; Sep 7, 2009 at 8:53 pm Reason: added website reference
Old Dec 7, 2009, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
I just got back from Holly Folly weekend. In case anyone plans on attending this event in the future, here is a brief review:

PTown is a blast during the summer, but is quite a nice experience in the winter. The locals really went out of their way to decorate and put on a fun event. There were plenty of people in town, mostly from Boston or the neighboring states. It was not the summer mob scene but yet with enough attendance to keep things interesting.

The highlights of the weekend were a special performance by the Boston Gay Men's Chorus and the "Inn Stroll" where a number of B and B's opened their doors for tours with refreshments and entertainment. Shopping was also good with some great end of season deals.

Most of the attendees were 30+, coupled, or with groups of friends. There appeared to be few singles in attendance.

All in all, it was a worthwhile event with much potential for growth. If you cant get in the holiday spirit at this event, it ain't gonna happen...
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:53 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Thanks for the update. Have thought about HollyFolly before since I like PTown so much but wasn't sure out of season.

Was there much to do in the evening eg restaurants and bars open, or was it only the HF special events that were running?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:23 pm

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks for the review. I had always wondered about this weekend...

On a similar note, 10 or so of us decided to leave the big city on New Year's Eve weekend last year and head up to PTown. We had no idea what to expect, given that it was the dead of winter in a summer resort town.

To our surprise, many of the bars and clubs were packed. There were many seasonal hotels and restaurants that re-opened for the weekend and the bars/clubs were filled every night - sometimes too much so. The age ranges was all over the place (we were late 20s and early 30s and didn't feel too young or too old). It was such a good time that we considered doing it again this year, but opted to head a bit further north to Ogunquit, Maine.

Add to that the 6 inches of snow that dumped after we arrived and the town was picturesque like a Normal Rockwell painting...
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Morland
Thanks for the update. Have thought about HollyFolly before since I like PTown so much but wasn't sure out of season.

Was there much to do in the evening eg restaurants and bars open, or was it only the HF special events that were running?
There was plenty to do in the evenings. A lot of the great restaurants and bars were open and there was a nice crowd at A House, Crown and Anchor and the Gifford. Keep in mind PTown bars close at 1 so its not an all night scene. It's an odd feeling - the streets were quiet at night but the venues were packed. Very fun...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.