Wiki Posts
Search

Members in PHX area

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles, US Dividend Miles, AWA Flight Fund
Members in PHX area

Hi... I'm a DC-based guy who grew up in the Phoenix area (well, Scottsdale), and now I am going to be coming back to Scottsdale periodically to spend time with my mom, who's ill. Still, man does not live by mom alone (I know, there's some dark humor there), but since I am going to be spending maybe a week there every month, I was wondering if people had any ideas of things to do there.... mom and dad live in waaaaaaay-north Scottsdale. I'm pretty much a clean-cut kind of guy, so no leather bars please.... outside of that, I'm open to about anything.

Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Amsterdam on Central Ave near the Westward Ho (Roosevelt I think?) is a fun place to hang out. Granted, I haven't been there in a couple of years now, but I always had a good time there. It's a martini lounge type place with an outdoor patio.

I know someone will probably slap me for making this comparison, but it reminded me a bit of the Abbey in LA. Just a bit though.

As for other places, there are some bars on Camelback Rd between 7th Ave & 7th St. (Not) Surprisingly, not too far from a certain all-boys Catholic high school I once attended.

As for other haunts, someone who has been out more recently than I can probably spout them off...but some names that come to mind:

Boom on Van Buren somewhere...Club w/ after hours.
AZ-88 a martini bar that is more hetero, but they make good drinks. That's in Old Town Scottsdale by the art museum & library.

That's really the only places I ever went to while visiting, but if anyone has anything more recent to add, I'm quite curious.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by devildc
so no leather bars please
Darn, the Padlock (http://www.padlockaz.com) could use a devil or two.

The most popular bar in town is Charlies (http://charliesphoenix.com). If you (like me) cannot stand more than 10 seconds of hillbilly drawling -- er, sorry, country music -- Charlies does have afterhours on Friday and Saturday with conventional dance music. The bar is packed solid all weekend long.

Roscoes (http://www.roscoeson7.com) is also somewhat popular with the cleancut jock set. Phoenix has 20+ bars. Echo magazine is online (www.echomag.com) and maps them out for you so you can sample accordingly.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 3:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by rchavez
Amsterdam on Central Ave near the Westward Ho (Roosevelt I think?) is a fun place to hang out. Granted, I haven't been there in a couple of years now, but I always had a good time there. It's a martini lounge type place with an outdoor patio.

For all the times this year I have been out to PHX I have yet to visit any gay night life - I hold my self to NYC standards (I'm a Roxy Saturdays, Avalon Sundays [i soo miss limelight], XL anyday, and Splash Bar once and a while - kind of person) and everything else (aside from maybe LA) tends to pail in comparaison!

I've quite often heard about the Amsterdam - I hear they are expanding or something like that moving from just being a bar to having a dance floor? Like I said so I hear...

-Vincent
Old Jul 7, 2005, 3:46 pm

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
Amsterdam is great. OUT mag even named it the best watering hole. Nice staff and friendly locals
Old Jul 7, 2005, 4:24 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by vincom
For all the times this year I have been out to PHX I have yet to visit any gay night life - I hold my self to NYC standards (I'm a Roxy Saturdays, Avalon Sundays [i soo miss limelight], XL anyday, and Splash Bar once and a while - kind of person) and everything else (aside from maybe LA) tends to pail in comparaison!

I've quite often heard about the Amsterdam - I hear they are expanding or something like that moving from just being a bar to having a dance floor? Like I said so I hear...

-Vincent
Heh...sounds like you and I share the same haunts here at home. It's only when I go pull family duty that I find myself trying to sort out a decent drink with cute guys, a trendy/upscale vibe, and good music in PHX. (I know, could be a bit of a tall order!) Of all the places that I have tried in PHX, Amsterdam is by far my favorite. But in comparison to other homo watering holes I've frequented over the years, probably about a 15 or 20.

As for their expansion, I'll check w/ a friend of mine. I just hope that whatever they're planning, they don't lose the outdoor space. I really enjoyed that patio.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 8:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by RChavez
Heh...sounds like you and I share the same haunts here at home. It's only when I go pull family duty that I find myself trying to sort out a decent drink with cute guys, a trendy/upscale vibe, and good music in PHX. (I know, could be a bit of a tall order!) Of all the places that I have tried in PHX, Amsterdam is by far my favorite. But in comparison to other homo watering holes I've frequented over the years, probably about a 15 or 20.

As for their expansion, I'll check w/ a friend of mine. I just hope that whatever they're planning, they don't lose the outdoor space. I really enjoyed that patio.
mmmm Perhaps we've run into each out here about manhattan? ha ha ha I'll be the one proud waving my Continental Platinum Elite Card LOL

Amsterdam I was told does a cover charge on some night after 11pm... (well started doing so) I have my "people" out in PHX I can ask - I normally dont talk about such things.. couple of my freinds out there are from here and minorly mis NYC nightlife

-Vincent
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:58 pm
In Memoriam

I found out that they are making the patio larger and etc at Amsterdam...

good news ehh Rchavez?

-Vincent
Old Jul 8, 2005, 2:51 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by vincom
I found out that they are making the patio larger and etc at Amsterdam...

good news ehh Rchavez?

-Vincent
Ahh, very good news indeed. I'm a huge fan of anywhere I can drink in the outdoors... ^
Old Jul 9, 2005, 8:19 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Was at AMS last night... er.... 7 hours ago.

The back patio has been there a while--- they put a fence on the W side of the building, 8 feet from the building, and stuck 2 new bars with bartenders there. Then- and this is new, i.e. less than 3 weeks old: they put a fence in front of the bar so they take up like 1/2 the city sidewalk (!) in front. I was out front for a good hour and watched the dynamic of people coming to AMS while others walked to the str8 latin bar down the block, and yet other goth foks going to a different spot up the street. Quite a mix.

Unfortunately I'll be out of town for thenext few weekends solid (check the MR seminar thread) but let me know when you're in town next.

PHX is by no means a NYC, but there really is good variety. Since you're a DC boy, let me try to do this:

If you like xxxxxx, then try yyyyyy
Cobalt 2nd Floor // Amsterdam
Cobalt 3rd floor// Harleys club Fri/Sat- then move to Charlies after hours
Apex // Harleys club Fri/Sat- then move to Charlies after hours
Lizard Lounge Sundays// Karamba Fridays
Chaos // Paco Paco or Karamba Saturdays
JRs // Amsterdam (Mondays are good, but most other night has people)
Green Lantern // Friends (bear) or Padlock (more leather)
The Mill // Aint Nobody's Bizness
Omega // Roscoes on 7th or La Roca
The Fireplace // Incognito
Titan Bar // La Roca
Freddies Beach Bar in Arlington // Pookies
BS West, the only bar in Scottsdale, is most like a JRs crowd in a Omega setting- with lights on.

Hope this helps. Post when you're in town next. There are a couple of us family folk around- not many, but a couple.

Last edited by Viajero Joven; Jul 9, 2005 at 8:28 am
Old Jul 9, 2005, 11:09 am
In Memoriam

clearly Viajero Joven is a PHX expert

-Vincent
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles, US Dividend Miles, AWA Flight Fund
DC boy coming to Phoenix

Originally Posted by Viajero Joven
Was at AMS last night... er.... 7 hours ago.

The back patio has been there a while--- they put a fence on the W side of the building, 8 feet from the building, and stuck 2 new bars with bartenders there. Then- and this is new, i.e. less than 3 weeks old: they put a fence in front of the bar so they take up like 1/2 the city sidewalk (!) in front. I was out front for a good hour and watched the dynamic of people coming to AMS while others walked to the str8 latin bar down the block, and yet other goth foks going to a different spot up the street. Quite a mix.

Unfortunately I'll be out of town for thenext few weekends solid (check the MR seminar thread) but let me know when you're in town next.

PHX is by no means a NYC, but there really is good variety. Since you're a DC boy, let me try to do this:

If you like xxxxxx, then try yyyyyy
Cobalt 2nd Floor // Amsterdam
Cobalt 3rd floor// Harleys club Fri/Sat- then move to Charlies after hours
Apex // Harleys club Fri/Sat- then move to Charlies after hours
Lizard Lounge Sundays// Karamba Fridays
Chaos // Paco Paco or Karamba Saturdays
JRs // Amsterdam (Mondays are good, but most other night has people)
Green Lantern // Friends (bear) or Padlock (more leather)
The Mill // Aint Nobody's Bizness
Omega // Roscoes on 7th or La Roca
The Fireplace // Incognito
Titan Bar // La Roca
Freddies Beach Bar in Arlington // Pookies
BS West, the only bar in Scottsdale, is most like a JRs crowd in a Omega setting- with lights on.

Hope this helps. Post when you're in town next. There are a couple of us family folk around- not many, but a couple.
Thanks... your reply has got to be the ultimate of "ask a simple question, get everything you ever wanted to know." I've printed it out for future reference. I've found out that my company's Phoenix office is on Osborn at about 13th Street, so my next question is which, if any, of the bars you listed might be a good place to stop in and have a drink or two after work?

Oh, and I'm pretty much a preppy kid who grew up into a.... preppy adult. The only bear I'm really into is the stuffed panda my niece gave me, the only leather is my belt and shoes, and the only drugs I've ever done are the ones my doc gives me. Am I boring or what???
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:18 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by devildc
...and I'm pretty much a preppy kid who grew up into a.... preppy adult. The only bear I'm really into is the stuffed panda my niece gave me, the only leather is my belt and shoes, and the only drugs I've ever done are the ones my doc gives me. Am I boring or what???

Nahhh... I'm that kind of person. At 21 I am preppyish, at 18 I was, at 17 I was (etc etc you get the point), and I will continue to be too. You're not weird at all (Though coming from me I don't know what kind of reassurance that is).

-Vincent

Last edited by vincom; Jul 14, 2005 at 12:20 pm
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:26 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Happy hour spots? I'd check out La Roca (lot was *packed* at 6pm Tues. when I drove past) and Roscoes. I once went to Roscoes for happy hour, had a conversation with an FTer, and yet another FTer overheard and said hi-- this was like 5pm some weekday with only 6 people in the whole place. Small world!

There are 2 places close to your office: Plazma at 1540 E. Osborne and Paco Pacos at 3045 N. 16th St-- but Paco Paco isn't open for happy hour. Really don't know about Plazma-- it's been under new ownership for a few months, and I don't think many people go. But La Roca really seems like the happy hour palce-- it's maybe 3 total miels from 1300 E. Osborne at 4129 N. 7th Ave.

PS Do let me know if/when you're around--- of the few Phx family folk, I'm the only one in the central part of town, and 13th St/Osborne isn't far from me at all.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:25 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
Just thought I would join the conversation and at least say hi. Yes, I am another PHX member. My partner and I live in Scottsdale, and I guess many people would call us boring, but you won't find nicer people (IMHO)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.