Wiki Posts
Search

GLBT Vancouver Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2008, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Stockycub1973
Can folks recommend a hotel which is cheap and clean in the Vancouver area? I am not fussed so about stars.

Any other tips would be appreciated too.
Define "cheap" please....

June is peak tourist season in Vancouver, and the height of the cruise ships traffic.. so expect to pay around an average of C$100 a night. There are some real dodgy hotels around, so stay within the downtown core and you'll be fine.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Hotel Sylvia

I love this place, but as the first reviewer says, "It's not for everyone." There are good pictures of it on TripAdvisor and the reviewers describe it well.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...mbia.html#TOPC
Old Jan 19, 2008, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
I am going to Vancouver in June as part of a journey down the West Coast. My itinerary will be going to Chicago for a week and then flying out to Vancouver. Then either ferry to Vancouver Island and a ferry to Seattle or just amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle. Then a flight from Seattle to SFO. Then from SFO either out to Vegas and then back to LA or down to LA with maybe a train to San Diego.

Can folks recommend a hotel which is cheap and clean in the Vancouver area? I am not fussed so about stars.

Any other tips would be appreciated too.
Funny when I saw your itinerary I was thinking about the trips to Europe when I would visit like 7 different countries in two weeks. Makes sense you are coming from Europe to have such an ambitious routing across North America.

I think your best bet will be the Granville Grand Hotel. It is a pretty clean remodeled hotel right next to Davie Street, Odyssey, gay stuff etc. Originally, the Fahrenheit, a gay sauna on Davie Street, bought the place and called it the Fahrenheit Hotel. They completely remodeled it and made it a nice gay hotel with some floors being completely nude. They went out of business.

Now it is a normal hotel called the Granville Grand Hotel with the same very simple but very clean and nice rooms with single occupancy rates around $49 CDN per night and includes a full breakfast. I think some of the rooms have limited bathrooms so check that out in advance.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:41 am

Programs: Star Alliance, KLM Flying Blue
As cheap as possible whilst still being clean and I wont get stuff nicked out of the room. I dont mind shared bathrooms.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance, KLM Flying Blue
I have 5 weeks off work. So have time to spend 5 or 7 days in each city. I have never been to Vancouver, San Diego or Las Vegas before.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:02 pm

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
I have 5 weeks off work. So have time to spend 5 or 7 days in each city. I have never been to Vancouver, San Diego or Las Vegas before.
How was your trip Stockycub1973 ? We are off the Vancouver at the start of July for 4 nights, will be there over a weekend. Any must sees or dos - judging by past posts, we seem to like the same things in London (ie: XXL and or Kings Arms) so any suggestions would be most welcome.

Oh and others --> please feel free to add any other suggestions !!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pdsuk
How was your trip Stockycub1973 ? We are off the Vancouver at the start of July for 4 nights, will be there over a weekend. Any must sees or dos - judging by past posts, we seem to like the same things in London (ie: XXL and or Kings Arms) so any suggestions would be most welcome.

Oh and others --> please feel free to add any other suggestions !!
I like Kings Arms. My fave in YVR is Pumpjack on Davie (in the Davie Village). It's a nice neighborhood type gay bar.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 7:19 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Nobbi
I like Kings Arms. My fave in YVR is Pumpjack on Davie (in the Davie Village). It's a nice neighborhood type gay bar.
Thanks for the suggestion Nobbi - we spotted this on the Gay YVR pages and will be sure to investigate
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Vancouver this weekend?

I'm heading up to Vancouver on the train Friday morning to spend the weekend doing I don't know what. Anything good going on that any of the YVRites may want to share?

I know its Canadian Thanksgiving and all, but if anyone is up for coffee, crepes, or a drink or few, let me know. Don't have much in terms of plans other than getting out of town on my own for a bit.

Got a reasonable deal at the Pacific Palisades, which is reasonable walking distance to Davie. I think. I hope so.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by 98103
I'm heading up to Vancouver on the train Friday morning to spend the weekend doing I don't know what. Anything good going on that any of the YVRites may want to share?

I know its Canadian Thanksgiving and all, but if anyone is up for coffee, crepes, or a drink or few, let me know. Don't have much in terms of plans other than getting out of town on my own for a bit.

Got a reasonable deal at the Pacific Palisades, which is reasonable walking distance to Davie. I think. I hope so.
Well I was out of town so hopefully the trip was enjoyable
Old Jun 3, 2012, 6:05 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic red
Vancouver + hotels

Hello guys and girls!
I'm planning on going to Vancouver towards the end of September and on the Tourism Vancouver.com website it gives a list of "gay friendly hotels".
Has anyone stayed at these hotels? Which one gets your vote?
Also which bars are best to go to?

Thank you for your help!
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
I know Vancouver extremely well, as I travel there a few times a year. I can recommend some great hotels, just tell me your price range and type of hotel (boutique, etc.).

The Vancouver gay scene, at least the nightlife, is really small. It's pretty much all located on a two/three block strip on Davie Street.

If you get a chance, hop on Amtrak or the new Bolt Bus service to Seattle. There's triple the number of gay bars here, and it's gorgeous in September.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
The list shown just seems to be a lot of the main chain hotels in the downtown area of Vancouver and I personally wouldn't pay much attention to it when choosing somewhere in Vancouver.

I have stayed in a few of them on various trips to the city - the Sheraton, the Coast Plaza and the Fairmont but to describe them as "gay-friendly", whilst almost certainly true, should not be interpreted to mean they are anything other than that (which is a bit of a vague credit anyway).

As seattletravelguy says, the nightlife is centred around a short stretch of Davie Street and I would just try to find somewhere that is walking distance from here towards the main bit of Downtown, Stanley Park or Yaletown.

I love Vancouver as a city to visit and in some ways it has a lot of similarity to Seattle (particularly visually with being on the coast with a mountain backdrop). However, Seattle just did not do it for me in the same way as Vancouver. I say this as a visitor and I think Seattle is probably an incredible city to live, offering an excellent standard of living.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, United 1K
I live in Vancouver and would be happy to answer any questions you might have. feel free to DM me.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic red
Thanks for all the advice guys.
In terms of hotels im looking for something for 3*+ as long as it has a bar/lounge/ restaurant within it im happy. Close to a station and easy enough to get to/fro the airport. Im looking to spend about 300-400 (480-640 CAD) for 4 nights. Due to me working in the airline industry I generally book hotels 3/4 days before I leave. Im just doing some of the leg work now!

Publicrelasian expect a multitude of questions coming your way!

Cheers guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.