Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GLBT Vancouver Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Snow predicted first 2 days of the New Year.
Whoppie!! Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

Last edited by Rejuvenated; Dec 24, 2004 at 11:10 am
Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G; Delta Diamond; AA EXP; Marriott LT Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Yup, definitely snowing here, it's kind of a shock to me after a few days of rest in Los Angeles. The Westin Grand is very nice, but I should have taken a cab here instead of the Airporter, since it went very far out of its way to come over to the Westin Grand. Thanks for the suggestions of the hotel and places to go...
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:48 pm

Programs: AC-2MM & 75K
If you want more reasonably priced hotels try:
1. The Sylvia - Old Hotel with polyester, flowered bed spreads like your Mom but right on English Bay sea wall within metres of Stanley Park.
2. Blue Horizon on Robson Street - Ask for a mini suite which gets you on the upper floors facing north which is off the street and quieter and has amazing views of the north shore mountains.
3. Coast Plaza - all suite hotel near English Bay and Stanley Park.

Walk the Stanley Park Sea Wall or rent a bike and ride around and around. It's amazing. Head up to the north shore mountains for a hike or a mountain bike ride or a ski. Night skiing on Grouse Mountain is great with amazing views of the City. Head to the Granville Island Market and the Museum of Anthropology at UBC.

Have fun!!!
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dbyyz
Night skiing on Grouse Mountain is great with amazing views of the City.
Only beautiful when its not snowing or else you'll see nothing but clouds.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:48 am

Question GLBT Friendly Suggestions for Vancouver, BC, CA?

I will be going on a 7-day Alaskan Cruise in May and will be spending a bit of time in Vancouver. I was wondering if anyone knew of any must-see attractions for a first-time gay traveller.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Well, since this a gay forum I assume your asking about gay stuff.
Be ready the Canadian exchange rate sucks now. Remember that the exchange was recently CDN$1.65 to US$1.00 but is now almost $1 to $1. Dim Sum and All-you-can-eat Japanese Sushi is big in Vancouver. Chinatown is one of the biggest in North America.
After a steady decline a few years ago, like most other gay districts in the world, the gay district that is on Davie Street is making a strong comeback. Albeit as a destination for everyone to dine with a choice of diverse restaurants.
The month of May will have great weather with fairly long days. I like stopping into the bar 1181 (formerly Tight Lounge) early in the evening because I like the chic atmosphere. Later in the evening I seem to always end up at Odyssey but realize things start really late now that you can drink until 3 am. Many like Celebrities but I find the crowd way too straight, on typical nights it seems pretty dead, and the doormen play the silly straight-club games with roped off lines, clipboards and headsets even when it the place empty.
Oasis is a fairly unique piano bar/restaurant if that interests you. Fahrenheit 212 is a decent sauna. The afterhours scene in Vancouver is big but I am not sure what the latest place is now. I am not sure how you can do it but if you can get out to Wreck Beach near the U.B.C. it is one the biggest nude beaches in North America depending on how the weather is when you are there. Seattle is a mere 3 hours from Vancouver so if you have enough time you might stop be Seattle. Allow plenty of time to cross the border since you will be traveling with the Canadians on their shopping binges.
I have a lot more to say so I will post again when I have more time.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 7:02 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, Hilton, Marriott
Thanks westcoastman - perfect timing as I'm in SEA and YVR next week!
Old Jan 10, 2008, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by DesertDave
Thanks westcoastman - perfect timing as I'm in SEA and YVR next week!
No problem.
For Vancouver, BC I prefer this http://www.gayvan.com/events.htm for upcoming events and this http://www.gayvan.com/bars.htm for bars.
For Seattle, WA I prefer this http://www.gayseattle.blogspot.com for upcoming events.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:07 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, Hilton, Marriott
Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2008, 1:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
I'm going today

Is there a gym where the boys are? Not a bathhouse, but a gym?
Old Jan 11, 2008, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by pdquick
Is there a gym where the boys are? Not a bathhouse, but a gym?
Stumped be there. I hear Denman Fitness come up the most on the "Gay-Friendly Gyms of the World" lists. Fitness World is listed on places such Damron and Gay.com.
Sorry I couldn't be more help but hopefully a local will chime in.

Check out dicussions on the gay site RealJock.com since people talk about Vancouver on there but they are more interested in really working out.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:33 am

Tried out Fitness World.It ws mixedNo bod much wsas checking eadh other out

Originally Posted by westcoastman
Stumped be there. I hear Denman Fitness come up the most on the "Gay-Friendly Gyms of the World" lists. Fitness World is listed on places such Damron and Gay.com.
Fitness Workd was ok, but the serious workout guys couldn' be bothered. The open shower has some potential for people to hook up later, but i didin't see it happen. As I left, I happened to see a downstairs area. wonder if those have any more potienial.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Oh you can oogle at the doormen at the OPUS hotel where the bathrooms have no shades too !

http://www.opushotel.com/opus.html
Old Jan 19, 2008, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Oh you can oogle at the doormen at the OPUS hotel where the bathrooms have no shades too !

http://www.opushotel.com/opus.html
I stayed at the Opus. The staff seem to have been selected for a certain superficial cuteness--not that there's anything wrong with that--but they don't know a lot about hotel service.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: Star Alliance, KLM Flying Blue
Cheap Hotel in Vancouver?

I am going to Vancouver in June as part of a journey down the West Coast. My itinerary will be going to Chicago for a week and then flying out to Vancouver. Then either ferry to Vancouver Island and a ferry to Seattle or just amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle. Then a flight from Seattle to SFO. Then from SFO either out to Vegas and then back to LA or down to LA with maybe a train to San Diego.

Can folks recommend a hotel which is cheap and clean in the Vancouver area? I am not fussed so about stars.

Any other tips would be appreciated too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.