Wiki Posts
Search

Gay Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Gay Tokyo

I saw Tokyo mentioned in a few old threads when I searched, but found no threads dedicated to just Tokyo alone (and that were current!). I'm going in December/January, and meeting up with a friend who's gay and speaks some Japanese (I speak none), and have heard about the area around Shinjuku. Any recommendations/etc. about being a gaijin on the town?
Old Aug 15, 2004, 12:34 am

Programs: CX DM, NH Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Plat
Translator a big help!

Havent been thru Tokyo Shinjuku nichome since last year... but glad to hear you will have a translator. As you are no doubt aware, Japan lags behind most of Asia in its embrace of learning other languages (like English for instance). Wonderful, nice, hot, caring guys but just generally you won't find English fluency (even just a couple words) unlike the guys in BKK, HKG, heck even PEK or PVG! I really really like Tokyo, and Japan but the language barrier is fiercest here than anywhere else in Asia. Smile, rely on your friend and have a great time ... it is a lot fun!
Cheers
Old Aug 15, 2004, 4:18 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Aloha, Plinko. Agree with previous poster, a translator will be a big benefit. Most I have met speak very little English, and often dare not to begin a conversation in English. My ex was a Japanese speaking FA for UA so I have been many times. In Shinijuku I can recommend Fuji Bar (very popular with tourists, but still many Japanese). Also, Popular Bar and Zip are (were) very popular; and foreigners very welcome. English was widely spoken at King of College, however, it is a host bar (vgl men ).

If you have any other questions, I would be glad to help. Have an excellent trip!
Old Aug 15, 2004, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
I have been to Tokyo several times and have never had a problem with language. I speak no Japanesse. Best bar in town for foreigners is GB. Very international crowd and always crowed. The bartenders speak English and always assist in meet and greet situations.

Fuji is great, nice owner, but it is never busy.

Arty Farty is very close to GB, but has a very young crowd. At 38 I felt very out of place.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 4:14 pm

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
You'll have no trouble speaking English at places like GB and Dragon (although nobody probably speaks any language at all at Dragon!). Arty Farty and Advocates are also relatively foreigner friendly but as Seth Levy says above, they tend to cater to a young-ish crowd. Avoid places like Word Up! which although popoular, actively discriminates against foreigners.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 3:05 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I agree, there are a ton of foreigner friendsly (many farily well marked foreiger-phobic places) had a great time at GB, arty-farty and the advocate. I don't speak any Japanese either.

While in the area, if you like chocolate, find Pierre Marcolini, an AMAZING Belgian chocolatier that is right near that area as well....it's a nice side trip....
Old Oct 5, 2004, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I have a Tokyo trip coming up in late November and will soon be trading a large # of SWUs for hotel nights (haven't decided which hotel or where yet).

Given my desire to be central to the tourist attractions, shopping, entertainment, subways and the gay area, I'm leaning towards finding a hotel in the Shinjuku Ni-Chôme area as recommended by fellow gay Flyertalkers.

A FT search suggests that the Grand Hyatt is the best hotel within this area. For those who have stayed at the GHT and the Park Hyatt, should a gay traveler forgo the luxury of the Park Hyatt to be closer to everything? Perhaps there are other luxury hotels to consider?
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by Nado
I have a Tokyo trip coming up in late November and will soon be trading a large # of SWUs for hotel nights (haven't decided which hotel or where yet).

Given my desire to be central to the tourist attractions, shopping, entertainment, subways and the gay area, I'm leaning towards finding a hotel in the Shinjuku Ni-Chôme area as recommended by fellow gay Flyertalkers.

A FT search suggests that the Grand Hyatt is the best hotel within this area. For those who have stayed at the GHT and the Park Hyatt, should a gay traveler forgo the luxury of the Park Hyatt to be closer to everything? Perhaps there are other luxury hotels to consider?
Er.... Grand Hyatt is at Roppongi Hills, which is in Minato-Ku.....whilst Park Hyatt is in Shinju-Ku. I think you were thinking about the Century Hyatt, which is also in Shinju-Ku.

Whatever your preference is, SKIP the Century Hyatt, as it is a very average hotel. I highly recommend the Park Hyatt, as it is an experience to stay there.

I usually stay at the Grand Hyatt over weekends, then move to the Park Hyatt on weekdays. The former hotel is very very reasonable if you know some CSFB people as they can get you a cheap corporate rate there.

I've stayed at both on award and on company dime, and both hotels treated me very well regardless of what I was paying (or not paying at all).

For photos and info, go to the Japanese sites, www.parkhyatttokyo.com and www.grandhyatttokyo.com as they provide much much more info than their English counterparts.

My last stay at the Park and Grand was back in August, and I'll return later in this month to both hotels for 3 nights at each. I'll be happy to report any recent changes (if any) at both hotels.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 5:16 am

Park vs. Grand Hyatt in Tokyo

Originally Posted by Nado

The Park Hyatt is excellent, of course, but the Grand Hyatt is really quite nice too, in my humble opinion. The Grand is very new, great service, nicely designed rooms, etc. As jkc22 posted, perhaps a combination of the two would work. And yes, the Park Hyatt is in Shinjuku, but not in the midst of the gay bars. Still, it's closer than the Grand Hyatt in Roppongi.

Have fun in Tokyo! Hope you can enjoy some of the beautiful fall foliage on your visit.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 8:19 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
If you can afford it the Park Hyatt is WONDERFUL. I always stay there, but always am using free nights from Hyatt -- probably put in 25-30 nights there in the 10 years that it's been open -- bless Hyatt's frequent stay program. Certainly never had a problem bringing respectable "friends" back to room. If you are not into the bar scene just try cruising Shinjuku station -- the main facitility inside the ticketed area is always busy and always cruisy. The basement My City is also good. Quite a few other choices also in and around station. Should you stay at the Park (or for that matter the Century) they both have shuttle buses to Shinjuku on a fixed schedule which saves a 10-15 minute walk or $6 taxi. Feel free to email me if you want more specifics.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trd
If you can afford it the Park Hyatt is WONDERFUL. I always stay there, but always am using free nights from Hyatt -- probably put in 25-30 nights there in the 10 years that it's been open -- bless Hyatt's frequent stay program.
I don't have much experience with Hyatt's program. How difficult is it to redeem there?
Old Oct 14, 2004, 9:51 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Doppy
I don't have much experience with Hyatt's program. How difficult is it to redeem there?
Not impossible since Hyatt allocates award nights at every property every night but since this is an expensive and very highly regarded hotel, there's lots of competition for the award nights.

Feel free to visit the Hyatt forum which I also co-moderate
Old May 24, 2006, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I've looked through the threads in this forum but haven't found the following question specifically addressed: Has anyone had good or bad experiences checking into the Park Hyatt Tokyo as a same-sex couple? My partner and I have reservations there and wonder whether we will have difficulties (beyond perhaps having to say "Yes, the one bed we booked is really okay").
Old May 24, 2006, 6:18 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by SJC1K
Has anyone had good or bad experiences checking into the Park Hyatt Tokyo as a same-sex couple?
Some friends of mine stay at the PHT three or four times a year (two men in a room with one bed) and they rave about the service. They have also tried the GHT, which they also rated very highly.
Old May 24, 2006, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jib71
Some friends of mine stay at the PHT three or four times a year (two men in a room with one bed) and they rave about the service.
Thanks! My last worry is now gone. But I still don't think we'll opt for the "premium fantasy".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.