FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gay Tokyo
Thread: Gay Tokyo
View Single Post
Old Oct 5, 2004, 7:08 pm
jkc22

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by Nado
I have a Tokyo trip coming up in late November and will soon be trading a large # of SWUs for hotel nights (haven't decided which hotel or where yet).

Given my desire to be central to the tourist attractions, shopping, entertainment, subways and the gay area, I'm leaning towards finding a hotel in the Shinjuku Ni-Chôme area as recommended by fellow gay Flyertalkers.

A FT search suggests that the Grand Hyatt is the best hotel within this area. For those who have stayed at the GHT and the Park Hyatt, should a gay traveler forgo the luxury of the Park Hyatt to be closer to everything? Perhaps there are other luxury hotels to consider?
Er.... Grand Hyatt is at Roppongi Hills, which is in Minato-Ku.....whilst Park Hyatt is in Shinju-Ku. I think you were thinking about the Century Hyatt, which is also in Shinju-Ku.

Whatever your preference is, SKIP the Century Hyatt, as it is a very average hotel. I highly recommend the Park Hyatt, as it is an experience to stay there.

I usually stay at the Grand Hyatt over weekends, then move to the Park Hyatt on weekdays. The former hotel is very very reasonable if you know some CSFB people as they can get you a cheap corporate rate there.

I've stayed at both on award and on company dime, and both hotels treated me very well regardless of what I was paying (or not paying at all).

For photos and info, go to the Japanese sites, www.parkhyatttokyo.com and www.grandhyatttokyo.com as they provide much much more info than their English counterparts.

My last stay at the Park and Grand was back in August, and I'll return later in this month to both hotels for 3 nights at each. I'll be happy to report any recent changes (if any) at both hotels.