Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Any gay male prostitutes in Amsterdam red light district?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any gay male prostitutes in Amsterdam red light district?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2004, 7:37 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Please Take Care!

I hope you do not mind me dropping in to the chat. My eyes nearly popped out like chapel hat pegs when I read the title. My immediate reaction was "Are their nuns in Rome?"!!

No, I want to say something very close to my heart, and as Blair is here I feel safe to do so (even though we never see him over at BA these days!).

Please please be careful. What you do is your business, but do take care. Sorry to sound like Mother Hen, but forgive a silly woman if she cares! I have lost too many lovely co-workers to the dreaded. People who were so full of life, so full of fun, and so very good at what they did. I was in Washington on a trip at the time of the quilt. A friend - a dear friend - took me. Miles and miles of quilts for all the fallen. it was like a World War War Cemetery. Row after row of someones that others loved to bits. Heartbreak was everywhere. Dignified Dads broke down into tears, and Mums stood silently grieving. We are trained at British Airways to console and comfort - but nothing could console on that level. I could not stop the tears and had I knew what 12 months held I would have shed more. The dear friend himself died the following June - yes you guessed.

So please, rmember that everyone of you who read this has someone who will be devastated if anything like this should befall you. Everyone is precious to someone else.

Forgive me if I have been too emotive, but you boys have made me wish to qualify for an honorary member of this Forum if you will allow (don't tell my husband - he seems to think that half our cabin staff end up in our lounge already).

If you are upset by what I write I will erase it. If it makes one of you think then - good. What you do is no one's business but your own. How anyone earns their living is up to them. Sorry if I've been a little bit heavy (jetlag!), and next post I'll try and lighten up!!

Hugs

Pucci
Old May 6, 2004, 7:47 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
No one should be upset! Thank you so much for your thoughtful contribution, and welcome our newest GLBT forum honorary member!

No, your post is without judgement, which would be the only thing that might offend anyone. People should play safely, but that doesn't mean a life without risk. A few quotes apply such as "The unexamined life isn't worth living," and "A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

It's the passionately and fully-lived life that made your lost friends so special to you and others.
Old May 6, 2004, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thank you, Pucci!! Hug back at you! ^
Old May 6, 2004, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Thanks for a great post, Puc's! Tu me manques - gros bisous.
Old May 6, 2004, 3:27 pm

you are funny...great sense of humor

Originally Posted by wharvey
I have to admit... I have never thought of window glass as safe sex protection...

Amazing what you can learn on FT.

William
Old May 6, 2004, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond
Is it a Rant?

A few thoughts, in no particular order:

1. Saying you are appalled by a thread topic but then noting that you would never "belittle someone's interests" sounds oxymoronic to me. Seems to me you just did.

2. It has been implied that sex workers are simmering cauldrons of viral (and sometimes bacterial) pathogens looking for their next meal. I wish to remind us that this is as logical as assuming that a really hot clean cut guy couldn't possibly be infected.

3. And lastly, and this one irritates me more than anything, people 'should' do whatever they think is appropriate for them. And it would be good for us to support and respect an individual's right to make choices regardless of whether or not we think that choice is appropriate or the one that 'should' have been made. We're not in his/her shoes.

I feel better now.
Old May 6, 2004, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
And as a straight female - I might want to have something to look at too

Seriously - what Blair and Pucci said

Play safe, but to each their own ^
Old May 6, 2004, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Legalize and regulate

The pleas for caution and safe sex are touching, but probably not necessary. One of the key advantages of legalized prostitution is the ability to check the workers for infectious diseases and to mandate condom usage. I'm sure there are lapses in safety with this approach, but it's a much safer situation than pushing the oldest profession into the underworld.

May your friend enjoy himself. Personally, I'd be interested in those AMS coffee shops with Bob Marley flags. Oh, and I hear there's some culture in Amsterdam as well.
Old May 6, 2004, 4:51 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Originally Posted by dhuey
May your friend enjoy himself. Personally, I'd be interested in those AMS coffee shops with Bob Marley flags. Oh, and I hear there's some culture in Amsterdam as well.
Same for me on the coffeeshops and culture!
But on topic, I have seen TV/TS sex workers 'behind the glass', but not 'traditional' (can I say that?) gay prostitutes. If your friend wants a man who looks like a man, that will probably be a 'special order', available only from a private club, and not the windows. I would suggest following the advice above which recommended the many gay nightclubs. You will find a much wider selection of potential partners there.
Old May 6, 2004, 7:08 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Pucci - thanks for your post!!
Old May 6, 2004, 8:36 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Oh Pucci welcome to the forum, we are indeed delighted to have you here - well I am. Now just imagine how much fun and mischief you can have here with you're famous hairbrush. ^

Of course you're comments are valid and from the heart and being in an industry like yours, you without doubt have been at the coal face for many years and seen so many good lives taken.
Old May 7, 2004, 2:23 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Thank you all so much (BiBi - Gros Bisous!). I opened up today in a little trepedation in case I had caused any offense.

May I make one comment. Of course life has risks. Every time any of us step outside the front door we are in danger (indeed when the bank statement is viewed by my beloved, there is plenty of danger in the home as well!) God, if what you believe I could die from making a mayonnaise with raw egg (how else am I supposed to make it?). Still we do not cross the road without looking, and we would not continue making mayonaise if the egg smells off (I have enough stink kicked up at work over denied upgrades (there said the forbidden word), hand baggage, catering/no catering, special meals/no special meals, the Champagne is too cold, the cabin is too hot, there's no R in the month or and this I will share, why I don't use enough blusher (I told them that if they had to listen to some of the passengers conversations as I do, they would know why I need no blusher (as though that were any of their business - the person who asked me was waving his stockinged feet and I could see his sweet little toenails peepeing thropugh the holes in his socks (soory to digress)) anything in general, and the trivial in particular)).

"A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

I agree totally, but who goes sailing uninsured in an ice-field? (I still cannot see what everyone else saw in Leonardo di Caprio (on screen and even less in the flesh). If I Pucci am going to drown it will be with any of the Chippendales, Or Robson Jerome.

May I say one thing, I have a big problem with the word "prostitute" - just samatics but I hate the word, it sounds degrading and does not even begin to describe the job (so I'm told!).

Anyway, now that I've found you all, I'd love to stay!
Old May 7, 2004, 8:04 am

The pleas for caution and safe sex are touching, but probably not necessary.
I agree. I hate it when someone straight tells me to "be safe" or "be careful". I'll be safe regardless of them telling me to, and I'll take the care I need to. Saying that to me many hours earlier is not something I will recall at the time it applies. Saying it tells me that they do not respect my judgement to do what I need to do to look after myself. They don't tell me to be careful crossing the road. If they want to say something better then "I worry when I hear you do..." would be preferable, for then I can try to relieve their fears, but don't tell me to "be safe".

One of the key advantages of legalized prostitution is the ability to check the workers for infectious diseases and to mandate condom usage. I'm sure there are lapses in safety with this approach, but it's a much safer situation than pushing the oldest profession into the underworld.
In my country prostitution has been decriminalised (not legalised). The Prostitutes Collective has worked for years to encourage the use of condoms and to keep the workers safe. This has the bonus of being safer for the customers.
Old May 8, 2004, 3:20 pm

I really don't see what the arguement is here..........I'm 47 y.o. and maybe some of you don't remember the 1980's, when gay men where dropping like flies. I've gone to, count 'em, 18 funerals where we buried FRIENDS & lovers. I can't get that out of my mind.

there is no arguement here
Old May 8, 2004, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
I agree with you on the safe sex advice, but as far as "appalling" goes, I must disagree. Prostitution is legal there, so it is, in my opinion, a valid question. I personally am against all forms of prostitution, but if it's legal and someone wants to ask about it, I say to each his/her own ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.