Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Istanbul gay friendly hotels ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2003, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue

Has anyone got any sugestions for Gay friendly hotels in the old city for a romantic weekend mid Octobre ? I have seen the Empress Zoe which looks nice and the Ararat Hotel (rooms look small). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Oct 6, 2003, 10:57 am
DKM

I'm going next May and have done some digging. Check out this site:

http://www.istanbulgay.com/hotels.htm

The Sarnic looks nice. That's where I think I'll end up.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Constantanople?
Old Oct 7, 2003, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Yes Doppy, Constantinople.

Thanks DKM, I have sent off a few availability requests, and also found another hotel which looks fun, the Empress Zoe www.emzoe.com

Will let you know where we end up and what it was like.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 4:19 am
Suspended

I am in the process of booking a trip to Istanbul - can anyone share any updated information? I will be there late August through the Labour Day weekend.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Well, I'll be staying at the Apricot Hotel (which I found on the gay-friendly istanbul hotels site) from March 28-April 2. So I'll let you kids know! Wish me luck.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.85MM // AS MVPG100K // TK Elite Plus // AA EXP // Bonvoy TE // Hyatt Explorist
The Four Seasons is the best hotel in Istanbul and is really a value as far as Four Seasons goes. Check it out...the rates might suprise you. I've stayed there as well as the Inter-Con...also nice.

Don't have any gay-specific advice tho...sorry. Have fun!
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:05 am
Original Poster

We ended up at the Ararat hotel – www.ararathotel.com - which was a lovely little hotel, but the rooms were really small and the hotel very very noisy. Friendly welcome, great view form the terrace, but difficult to recommend it.

I’ve been told that hotels in Istanbul are all very noisy, but here are a few that I short listed at the time and managed to see during the trip :

Empress Zoe www.emzoe.com – looked really nice – but go for a top floor room with terrace or their new garden suites – otherwise very small rooms.

Ibrahim Pasha www.ibrahimpasha.com – very nice views from the terrace – well situated for the grand bazaar and old town

Blue House Hotel (haven’t got the website) standard sort of rooms but nicely placed and great terrace.

I have to agree the Four Seasons http://www.fourseasons.com/istanbul/index.html is absolutely fabulous if you can stretch your budget it is definitely the best choice in town.

Our long weekend was cut short by a slight accident (I twisted my ankle and tore a ligament - so I recommend a good pair of walking shoes to visit the old town) and didn’t get to see all we had hoped, but would love to go back. After having done the old town and the grand bazaar, do not miss the Egyptian Bazaar (great for spices of all kinds) – Galata and the “Tünel” tram to take you up to the new part of town – the shops and cafés of Beyoglu etc… If you have time a cruise on the Bosphore is supposed to be a must.

Hope this helps – have a great trip.

Old Mar 20, 2004, 6:07 pm

I've stayed at the Hilton in the Taksim district several times. It is quiet (unlike many hotels in the older districts) and has a nice view of the Bosphorus. Plus, there's always that HHonors credit to consider. There is also a very good buffet breakfast included. To get to the older parts of the city you will need a taxi but they are plentiful and cheap. Istanbul has to be one of my favorite cities, and it's hard to imagine anyone having a bad time there. The grand bazaar goes on forever, but most of the merchandise is repeated over and over. There seems to be a system where each of the stalls is obligated to buy from the same wholesaler. The Egyptian (spice) bazaar is more accessible, and there is the added advantage that just outside the bazaar is a shopping area(meaning the stores on the streets adjacent) frequented by Turkish residents, without the cheap trinkets.

I also recommend without hesitation the ferry boat that takes you to Buyukada for day trips. This island has no cars, and instead you hire a horse buggy and driver to take you around.

The Bosphorus can be seen from Tourist excursion boats, or from the state ferry at one tenth the price. I've done both, and the only real difference is that the tourist boat has a canned monologue on a speaker system.

Hope you have a great time! Woody
Old Jan 15, 2005, 9:10 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Any updates? I'm going to be there for 2 nights in late February, on my own.
My friend and I stayed at the Apricot Hotel last year, and while it was fine, it's a bit noisy (it feels more like a large guest house, though you do have your own toilets), and it's about $40 per night. I have reserved the Best Western President Hotel, at $65 per night including airport pick-up, taxes, and BF (which, sadly, doesn't stand for "BoyFriend"; apparently, it's "BreakFast").
I sure wish I could somehow rationalize paying $190++ with no breakfast at the Four Seasons. It really is gorgeous. And it is actually the old prison used in "Midnight Express", remodeled into a hotel! Imagine that....OK, maybe I've rationalized it already!
Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Gold (lifetime/1.7 MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
We have stayed at the Four Seasons and it is well worth the price. Besides, several of the staff were obviously "members of the club". We were treated very well with no problems in us asking for a room with one bed. The friendly front desk guy even upgraded us to a rooftop terrace room with a gorgeous view, for no reason other than a smile for all I could gather. If you can get ANY Four Seasons hotel for 190 per night, do it.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:49 am
mjz

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Platinum
It's not in the Old City, but I stayed at the Conrad Istanbul in late November. We had an executive room on the top floor overlooking the Bosphorous. The executive lounge was very nice for free breakfast, snacks throughout the day and evening cocktails - the view was amazing. A couple of the gents working the lounge were gay and treated us quite well. The rate was $170 plus triple HHonors points. I would definitely recommend the executive or suite accomadations at this property.

By the way, Hotel Empress Zoe was my first choice, but since we are both HHonors Gold, we wound up at the Conrad.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:39 am

Programs: Bombay Sapphire; Sephora Plat
Any updates in the hotel field?
It seems like I'll be in IST for a long weekend around thanksgivings (i know, I'll do Turkey for turkey day!) and I'm looking for nice (and reasonably priced) acommodation near the sightseeings but also near to the 'action'...is that possible?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:47 am

Check out the W Istanbul thread. I really did like it. If you are SPG Plat, you will get a room with a small balcony overlooking the street.
Location is interesting for seeing a less-touristy part of Istanbul, but still only 5 minutes away from Taksim by taxi, and also a 5-minute taxi to the tram which gets you across the water (and continues, with a transfer, all the way to the airport).
Also stayed at the HI Istanbul City, but it's kinda pricey and needs an upgrade.
The Crowne Plaza Istanbul also looks like an interesting hotel with character, and some reasonably cheap rooms, and it's on the "tourist" side of IST.

In my mind, the best deal right now seems to be the HI Sisli, a brand new property in the city, a few minutes further than Taksim. It's only 15K pts (or 5K+US$60) per night.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: Bombay Sapphire; Sephora Plat
no points and/or status in any hotel here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.