Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kuala Lumpur

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2003, 8:21 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Kuala Lumpur

Hi. Has anyone been to Kuala Lumpur? I have a 1 day/night stopover there and plan to go into town. I doubt I'll seek out any of the (sort of illegal, but sort of overlooked) gay venues, but does anyone know how safe it is for a young (gay) American guy to visit KL right now? (side note...because of cultural differences, I'm sure "American" will stand out and no one will even know that I'm gay even though in America it's pretty obvious...)
Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

It'll be fine - just behave yourself.

(ie, no grabbing a$$es on the subway)

Old Nov 17, 2003, 8:16 am

I was there this past August. No problems whatsoever.

Oh, if you plan to go up to the Skybridge of the Petronas Towers be sure to get there early. It's free but there are only a limited # of passes available.

We got there at the very end of the day. Almost were out of luck but a sad face and story about how we were leaving early the next day (partly true) produced 2 passes :-)
Old Nov 17, 2003, 8:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat.
Here is all you need to know about gay life in KL.

http://www.fridae.com/resources/kl-introduction.php

KL is the place where you want to be pampered since 5* hotel only costs you around $100/night. The Ritz Carlston KL has an excellent package (club room level, 1-hour massage, and a butler-drawn bath for around $100/night).
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:46 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
I'm leaning towards the Mandarin Oriental because of its location. It seems lovely...but a regular room is about USD100 and the package with Club level, massage, and lots of other misc. perks is USD170. Is it worth it?

[This message has been edited by chrisny2 (edited Nov 17, 2003).]
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:30 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
You might want to think about the Sheraton Imperial too. At 245 MYR, I think it's a good deal.

I was a little apprehensive about Malaysia at first, but ended up having a great time when we went in June. When you walk around KL around sundown and hear the call to prayer echoing across the city, you definitely have that "I'm not in Kansas anymore" feeling. I loved it. (My apologies if I'm not using the right term. )

Overall, I felt I got my fair share of "check out the tall blond gringo" looks, but I never felt uncomfortable during the trip.

[This message has been edited by snorkmaster (edited Nov 17, 2003).]
Old Nov 18, 2003, 4:17 am

Programs: TKeliteplus BAGold
KL is a great city to visit, easy to walk around and enjoy the sights. I stayed at the Shangri-La in February, excellent room and good food at a bargain price - booked through the hotel web site.
Enjoy yourself
Old Nov 18, 2003, 6:17 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I have been to KL about 10 times. As a Gay white American male, I've always been treated VERY well. In fact, I feel more comfortable in KL than I do walking the streets of any big U.S. city at night. Really.
As for gay venues, the dance clubs are all legal-- and the gay saunas (I can recommend Otot2, kind of near the Pan Pacific).
As for hotels, you can bring someone back to the room. I've stayed at several places in KL--the Pan Pacific ($60), the Melia (newly remodeled, $59), the Capitol (a very clean, modern 3-star right in the middle of the action for $32), the Century ($45), the Sheraton Imperial (fancy and about $65), and the only one I wouldn't recommend is the Pan Pacific, but only because the location isn't that great. If you're on a budget, I highly recommend the Capitol, because there is a Delifrance around the corner, it's a block from shopping, the eating street is 2 blocks away (delicious outdoor stalls that are licensed by the gov't --clean, safe, and cheap), and there are gay boys everywhere. Actually, if you bring your laptop, you're bound to meet guys using gay.com.
Enjoy KL--I sure do!
Old Nov 18, 2003, 8:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Mmm.. Delifrance! I can just smell those kaya buns right now!
Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:30 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by izzik:
Mmm.. Delifrance! I can just smell those kaya buns right now! </font>
mmm what kind of buns? lol jk
Old Nov 18, 2003, 1:36 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
The Mandarin Oriental is an amazing hotel and has one of the best locations (imho) if you are there for only 1 day. It's directly above the KLCC subway station (which means you can go almost anywhere - including KLIA - quick and cheap), and it's right next to the Petronas Twin Towers (which are quite amazing). The chinese restaurant at the M/O is superb and the restaurants/shops next door at Suria KLCC Mall are among the best in KL. Tip: If you want the best view of the KL skyline, take a taxi to Menara KL (KL Tower). The view is much better than from the Skybridge of the Twin Towers.

As for being American (or gay), I have taken my boyfriend to KL twice and we have never felt uncomfortable or afraid. My parents, on the other hand... Also, there is quite a sizeable expat population in KL (mostly white) and if you hang out in the city, you'll pretty much blend in.

I was born and raised in KL (lived there for 16yrs) so feel free to pick my brain on things to make your trip there more enjoyable!
Old Nov 29, 2003, 6:27 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I'll be in KUL from 1/17 to 1/20 on a "Malaysia Stopover". I got the Ritz-Carlton for $80/night in a club room.

Are there any clubs that people have been to and recommend for an American? I don't mind being around mostly locals, just want them to be friendly :-)
Old Dec 1, 2003, 12:40 pm

Most all of the clubs in KL are "tourist" friendly. I'd check out

http://www.utopia-asia.com/tipsmala.htm

for some tips on gay Malaysia, in addition to the link mentioned above.

Also wanted to mention that although it's my favorite hotel in KL, I wouldn't recommend the Sheraton Imperial for a short stay, as it's not really in walking distance of very much. (A new monorail recently opened up right out side the hotel, which helps, and the Dang Wangi LRT [subway] stop is nearby.) That being said, taxis are really cheap, so it's just more of an inconvenience. For a one-day stay, I'd personally chose the Mandarin or the new Westin.

Old Dec 6, 2003, 7:59 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Hi there

Just wanted to say that I have a good Malaysian friend that could possibly provide some up to date info on KL as he lives there

He is in his early 20's and maybe he could even hang out with you

Feel free to email me if u want more info!

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.