Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Istanbul Travel Tips

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Istanbul Travel Tips

We're heading to Istanbul for 5 days on our way out to the Maldives. Of course, we're well aware of the country's attitude toward gay folks, the frowning of PDA, etc. But, aside from the negatives, any specific tips or advice that anyone can offer?

We'll be doing the typical touristy stuff, but would appreciate any off-the-beaten-track advice or unique experiences that shouldn't be missed.

How about gay bars? There seems to be a cluster around Taksim Square. Any in particular worth visiting? Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2023, 5:14 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
I don't believe gays or gay allies should support in any way destinations that punish people for whom they love or execute people for drawing cartoon figures or refuse to let women get an education. And that also includes airlines that are subsidized by these types of governments.

Our dollars should be spent where freedom, equality, and progressive ideas are practiced and encouraged.

An American black person visiting and exalting the greatness of Dubai just blows my mind. A place where 12% are natives and the rest basically indentured slaves.

It's illegal to be gay or lesbian in the Maldives. The islands are under Sharia law. You'll probably be fine at a private resort and many have experienced wonderful vacations there, but there's always that chance. Hope you come back safe.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
Our dollars should be spent where freedom, equality, and progressive ideas are practiced and encouraged.
Then I might suggest that you move out of Utah.

Thanks for your lecture, though.
carlosdca, nov11 and PUCCI GALORE like this.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by chrisjur
Then I might suggest that you move out of Utah.

Thanks for your lecture, though.
Technically I live in Salt Lake City which is very progressive and inclusive in a state that is in general not. Similar in some ways to Austin, Texas. I wouldn't suggest that anyone like myself live anywhere else in Utah except possibly Park City although Park City would require a much higher income.

You should visit Salt Lake sometime.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 9:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
Technically I live in Salt Lake City which is very progressive and inclusive in a state that is in general not. Similar in some ways to Austin, Texas. I wouldn't suggest that anyone like myself live anywhere else in Utah except possibly Park City although Park City would require a much higher income.

You should visit Salt Lake sometime.
I've been many times and can second. SLC is not greater Utah, just like Istanbul is not Constantinople uh the rest of Turkey.

Look, any big metro is going to be relatively LGBTQ+ friendly or at least not hostile, aside from maybe Tehran and IDK Riyahd/Kabul/wherever whacko religious nutjobs rule, in an otherwise-hostile country/state. I live at the edge of metro Atlanta and it's a big blue dot in a sea of trumpy idiots. Same as many other places.

You both chill.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 12:36 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
interested - we are heading to Instanbul for three weeks (we are hoping to go to Amman and Tel Aviv if the situation settles down ) before we do a Cunard Cruise to Barcelona .

We want to visit Anzac Cove as that is so important In our Australian and New Zealand History - but no other real plans as yet.

We will be in IST - mid September - earl October 2024

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.