Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Single gay male traveling through Iran

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Single gay male traveling through Iran

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Please help me understand why any gay man would want to go to a country that slaughters their citizens for being gay? Why would you want to offer support to any country that practices such discrimination and barbaric behavior with your tourist dollars ? (And certain US States are not immune from my boycott.)

And I don't mean this with any anger....I really do want to understand how the lure for adventure and journey can trump ( bad choice of words) a country that is so politically and religiously against gays.

Last edited by david55; Jun 17, 2016 at 3:26 pm
Old Jun 19, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Absolutely not.

I've visited North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Yemen all since getting Global Entry, and no problems at all.

brave traveler!

Originally Posted by david4455
Please help me understand why any gay man would want to go to a country that slaughters their citizens for being gay? Why would you want to offer support to any country that practices such discrimination and barbaric behavior with your tourist dollars ? (And certain US States are not immune from my boycott.)

And I don't mean this with any anger....I really do want to understand how the lure for adventure and journey can trump ( bad choice of words) a country that is so politically and religiously against gays.
boycotts don't work. and tourism and cultural exchanges have a stronger impact for rights than anything else
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by passioninlife77
I met some wonderful LGBT folks in Tehran, Shiraz, and Isfahan. It was interesting to know their perceptions, experiences, and POVs. It made me appreciate freedom even more and reminded me that we should never take freedom for granted.
great thread

there are some (LGBT) travel agents, although they may only work with fees or more expensive trips, that have had press coverage describing them arranging meetings for their traveler clients with high profile LGBT residents of the countries they are visiting, seem to recall one being mentioned was a 'supreme court justice' in a middle eastern / north african country.

also mentioned agents keep track of hotels/etc with LGBT managers/staff, etc.
(i have seen that discussion re hotel staff/owners come up elsewhere on FT.)
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson

brave traveler!

boycotts don't work. and tourism and cultural exchanges have a stronger impact for rights than anything else
You missed the point.
While some may have a boycott intention, for ME and for many others is not about boycotting.

It is about feeling safe and secure, and welcomed.

Upon a choice of vacations destinations, there are hundreds of interesting places in the world to visit where one does not have to even "wonder" if one will be ok. And that's why someone posted the question, paraphrasing,"why on earth would someone choose a Muslim country where being gay is penalized by law as a vacation destination".
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
great thread

there are some (LGBT) travel agents, although they may only work with fees or more expensive trips, that have had press coverage describing them arranging meetings for their traveler clients with high profile LGBT residents of the countries they are visiting, seem to recall one being mentioned was a 'supreme court justice' in a middle eastern / north african country.

also mentioned agents keep track of hotels/etc with LGBT managers/staff, etc.
(i have seen that discussion re hotel staff/owners come up elsewhere on FT.)
If this is true, I Am sorry, no offense, but this sounds ridiculous.

How much does access to this list cost? $500? $1000. pfff.
And once I get my hands on the list, what do I do with it?

And what is the point on arguing that there are gays in Iran, Iraq, etc.
Of course there are (at what state of coming out to themselves, who knows).

People are not evil, in general, all Iran or Iraq arn't evil. Many of them (Iran especially) are probably very open to learn about American/ European culture and lifestyle. But that's not the point at all. The point is that one has to be very cautious when going to these countries, since being gay is penalized by law, or if anything, one can just skip these countries at all.

Looking for a gaycation or hoping for a hookup in any of these countries is starting the vacation with the wrong foot, IMO.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosdca
list
huh?

Originally Posted by carlosdca
And what is the point on arguing that there are gays in Iran, Iraq, etc.

Looking for a gaycation or hoping for a hookup in any of these countries is starting the vacation with the wrong foot, IMO.
did anyone say that in this thread?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:10 am

LIST:
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
...high profile LGBT residents of the countries they are visiting...
...hotels/etc with LGBT managers/staff, etc.
Who cares about these "high profile" people?

Can a travel agent do the same in the US and arrange meetings with, ehem, Kanye West? Hillary? the Kennedys?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

context was countries like iran, which this thread is about

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.