Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

SFO --> Folsom Street Fair Weekend 9/23-27 DO/Gayla - now confirmed with some events

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO --> Folsom Street Fair Weekend 9/23-27 DO/Gayla - now confirmed with some events

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat
We are able to book the Hilton (Non refundable) or Marriott Marquis at average rates of $119. Any feedback on which of the two to choose?

This will also be our first time in SFO.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by EWRTravelers
We are able to book the Hilton (Non refundable) or Marriott Marquis at average rates of $119. Any feedback on which of the two to choose?

I am staying at the Mariott (unless Parc 55 has some cheaper rooms open up) and will be my first time staying there. The first time I stayed in SF was at the Hilton on Farell and I thought it was borderline dump but that was in 2000 so they could have renovated it since then. I thought the hotel was outdated and there were a lot of homeless and undesirables in the area. Not sure how much better the marriott will be.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
I stayed there about two years ago (it's a relatively common Priceline win) - the area is still dodgy, but it shares the problem with all the hotels in that area. The rooms were not bad.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2
You can always count on quality reading at Marriott hotels. God Bless.

http://holtju2.smugmug.com/photos/831583186_fwmD6-L.jpg
I always thought that was extra toilet paper in case you ran out of it...
Old Jul 7, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, DL, BA, LH
If you stay at the Hilton, when coming and going, just stay on the east/Mason St. side of the hotel and the neighborhood is fine. If you go west toward Taylor St. there's a support center for the homeless which makes that side a bit more colorful.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club

Marriott Marquis is a much better location.

I have a contact with the GM there, and will be calling today to see if I can get a group rate for the previously posted $99/night which seems to have run out.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:33 am

Grabbed $99 for Saturday but $139 for Sunday.

Let me know if anything opens up for the Sunday =)
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Does anyone happen to know what the name or code for the group rate (someone made a reference to a group rate being available earlier in this thread) at the SFO Marriott Marquis was?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by USirritated
Does anyone happen to know what the name or code for the group rate (someone made a reference to a group rate being available earlier in this thread) at the SFO Marriott Marquis was?
The Folsom St. Fair rate is under
(800) 228-9290, Group code: FMSFMSA
Though their rate is $159
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:03 am
Original Poster

No, someone mentioned a special rate of $99 for that weekend.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seeksreal
The Marriott is available for $99/night at http://www.awardshowhotel.com/. It is also the official host hotel for Folsom Street Fair so probably a great place to be that weekend.
It was Seeksreal who posted about the $99 rate, but if you go through the site, evidently you have to be an event attendee for the GayVN awards, and their room block is running out from what I can see. The Folsom rate is considerably higher.

HOWEVER, I just put a call in to the manager who I know there, and asked whether we could get that rate if we took 10 rooms or more, and he said that he would check on it and get back to me within an hour or two. I asked for $99 per night for September 23 - 27 (4 nights, but if someone only wanted to stay for 2 or 3 of those nights, it should be okay if he is able to get me that rate).

I also asked whether he could get me the suite that I was upgraded to the last time, so we could have a private party (the suite is HUGE), and he said that he would check on that too.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Okay guys, here is the skinny....so to speak.

The manager I know at the SFO Marriott Marquis has come through for me/us!

He gave me permission to make reservations at the $99 rate for whatever nights were available through the group desk, and gave me the toll free and the code for making the reservations through Marriott PassKey. He also said that whatever nights were not available at the lower rate through the group desk that once I have the confirmation codes, he MAY be able to link them together (group wise, not payment wise) and get an override for the nights at the higher rate. I was able to book the nights of September 23, 24, & 25 at $99/night, and the night of September 26 at $139/night, on two different confirmation numbers. If you do not wish to stay all four nights, then just book the nights that you want, there is no minimum and no maximum ($99 rate is only available Sept 22-28 I believe, "as long as supplies last"), either for the number of nights, or the number of rooms, though each room rez needs to be made individually. However, grab the nights that you want, and then my contact will TRY TO OVERRIDE the higher rates if that is what you end up with.

The Marriott PassKey (group bookings) phone number is 800-266-9432.
The group booking code is "GayVN2010"
(You will need to tell the rez agent to break up the dates in order to get the $99 rate, otherwise the rate will default to $139 for all four nights.)

For anyone who is interested in this rate, please hurry and make the reservation, because September 23 and 26 are close to being sold out.

Once you have your confirmations, please send me either a private message here, or to my direct e-mail address ([email protected]), with your name and your confirmation numbers, and I will pass them on to my manager contact. In case anyone is concerned, your credit card numbers or personal information will not be visible to me or to my manager contact, only your name, dates, and confirmation numbers will be visible. However, including your your cell phone number would be helpful, though not required.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

PS. Although it is not required, even if you are not asked for it, including your Marriott Rewards number in your rez will benefit you, since your reservation will earn both EQN and points/miles, as applicable.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by USirritated
The manager I know at the SFO Marriott Marquis has come through for me/us!

He gave me permission to make reservations at the $99 rate for whatever nights were available through the group desk,
Way to go!
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:03 am

I think the 26th has sold out of $99 rooms.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:46 am
Original Poster

I think the 26th has sold out of $99 rooms.
Yes, they have, including for me. However, as I said in my last posting here, make the reservation anyway, two actually. The first reservation for the nights you want at $99, and the second reservation for the nights at $139. Send me the confirmation numbers, and my management contact will TRY to override those $139 rate nights to $99 for everyone. I presenting have two reservations, one for September 23, 24, 25 @ $99, and a second reservation for only September 26 @ $139. I am waiting for the people who want to stay there to make their reservations and to send me their both of their confirmation numbers and names (telephone number helpful, but not required), and I will call my management contact there for everyone. That is how he asked me to do it. If anyone doesn't understand, please let me know.

PS. The hotel's discount rate for Folsom Street Fair is actually $159, so this is a significant savings for us no matter what.

PPS. Another choice would be to stay here for the nights at $99, and then move to another hotel for the nights at $139. However, since the reservations are cancelable until 6 PM day of arrival, if the rate is not able to be overridden, you will have the choice to cancel either or both reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.