Wiki Posts
Search

New York bars

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by samonyc
So true, and the more I think about it, the more I wonder why I still live here. All you can do at any of our night spots anymore is drink (which I enjoy, btw). Few places for dancing, only one cruise bar (with a security detail), no true saunas, and once well defined gay neighborhoods that grow more diffuse and integrated every year. As a gay destination, all New York has going for it is a few hundred thousand gays. I suppose if you set up your Manhunt account and bring your laptop, you're all set, but meatspace-wise, NYC has been coasting for decades on its reputation from the 70s.

But how do you change this? It's never going to be the 70s again, but many places in Europe manage to have diverse diversions. Why can't we?
Because things change. A new generation comes in (something as gay men we are experiencing for the first time) and wants to do things their way. Mention the Black Party to a bunch of 20 somethings and what you get is "ewe, old men walking around nearly naked, yuk." Technology has totally changed hooks ups, dating, and in general the way people (specifically young people) interact.

The real estate market has also changed particularly NYC. When I arrived in NYC in 1995 the West Side was clubs, taxi repair shops, warehouses, and a few run down delis. Now look at it.

Also, the acceptance of gay men and women will mean a more homogenous society. Back in the 1970s and 1980s it was a total us versus them world. We wanted nothing of their world and they wanted nothing of our world. This is changing despite the ignorance that still exists. Also back to the big city thing, a young gay man no longer needs to move to a very large city to have an open and fun life. Just take a look at Columbus, OH, Portland, OR, Tampa, FL, etc. Why move to an overpriced and living challenged environment.

Nothing in life is static. You move with the flow. Do I miss my wild Roxy then off to Twilo chemical fueled night well into the next day era. Sure, I had a blast. But now I finally have the means and time to explore the world and take up other interest. I now invest more time in myself, including my health and trying to still maintain a pleasing physical appearance, and being a roll model for younger guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.