Wiki Posts
Search

New York bars

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2010, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
New York bars

I'll be heading to New York with my partner for a quick city break (if possible BA strike does not ruin our travel plans). Would anyone here (local or otherwise with up to date info about NY bar scene) have any suggestion for a nice bar to go for a drink after dinner? We are looking for a lounge/coctail type of bar or even a nice beer joint.
I've read some positive comments about the Therapy on 52nd street. Any ideas? We'll be staying at the Bowery on 3rd street, so perhaps some suggestions closer to our hotel.
I know that there are a plethora of gay bars close to our hotel and in lower Manhattan in general, but as we are not in the mood for bar hopping any advise would be appreciated.
Did a quick search and it seems that NY bars have not been discussed on this forum recently.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Therapy and Vlada are nice- but as you mention, they are on the opposite side of the city.

Not sure when you will be in the city, but on Tuesday's BBar is the hot spot, which is right near your hotel on E 4th. Also, for beer, Phoenix on E13th has $2 pints on Wednesdays and pretty good specials all week long. Most of the other E Vill bars are a little bit more cruisy (Eastern Bloc, Urge, The Cock), but fun nonetheless.

For lounges, Hells Kitchen and Chelsea are your best bets. Chelsea is closer to your hotel- if you are looking for a beer bar, I'd recommend Gym Bar, which is a gay sports bar.

My favorite lounge in Chelsea is XES..certain other members of this board prefer G (but they only take cash, which annoys me).

Lots and lots of options as long as your aren't looking for dance clubs, which NYC is sorely lacking these days -except for Rockit on Friday nights (very fun) or Club 57 on Saturdays.

Sorry its all over the place. Let me know if you need any other advice!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Therapy, Vlada, and XES are my favorite lounges. Glad I don't live the city or I would be broke going all the time lol!!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club
XES is nice but I have to admit to being one of those that prefers G Bar, cash notwithstanding.

If you want somewhere very lounge-like, there's always the TownHouse on the UES but it tends to get mixed reviews. I know the guy on the door who's a sweetheart which probably pre-disposes me to mention it
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like it will be Therapy or XES one night and something more laid back the other. We'll be in NY from tuesday to saturday. I am sure it will be busy on fridays but how are the growds during the week? What about the Boiler Room?

Of course it does not necessarily have to be a gay bar. We can easily have our drinks in a nice mixed/straight bar, but those are usually more easier to find and easier to just "walk in" without prior info about the place. Some gay bars can look nice out side but once you've entered and have your first drink in your hand you realize that it is not the kind of place you want to have your post dinner drink with your boyfriend. If you know what I mean
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:42 pm

There's a somewhat new bar called VIG - Very Important Gays, which is in Gramercy/Murray Hill area on 27th/Park Ave. Went there this weekend for the first time and it was nice. Not my fav neighborhood but it's closer to your hotel than the HK bars. It's got two areas, the front one being more loungy, and the back one, darker and I believe there were some people dancing. It's similar to Therapy.

Another spot in HK is Bartini on 10th Ave btw 45th and 46th. It's the newest of the HK bars and gets really crowded after 11ish. Good music and there's a small dance floor that gets packed! If you go early, you'll see less people and it's got more of a lounge feeling.

Enjoy NYC!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
I just require a couch for me to fall asleep on lol!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by JCinNYC
Another spot in HK is Bartini on 10th Ave btw 45th and 46th. It's the newest of the HK bars and gets really crowded after 11ish. Good music and there's a small dance floor that gets packed! If you go early, you'll see less people and it's got more of a lounge feeling.
Another vote for Bartini. It's definitely quieter but I like it.

Therapy is good; I think Vlada is better on the right night.

pitbrian - I've given Gym Bar three chances and all three times it was miserable. I still often suggest it to my other half, and I get in big trouble.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
pitbrian - I've given Gym Bar three chances and all three times it was miserable. I still often suggest it to my other half, and I get in big trouble.
Couldn't agree more, there's nothing exciting about Gym bar unless the OP is into watching sports or pool at a bar. Drinks are pretty bland.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by seanp7
Another vote for Bartini. It's definitely quieter but I like it.

Therapy is good; I think Vlada is better on the right night.

Originally Posted by JCinNYC
Couldn't agree more, there's nothing exciting about Gym bar unless the OP is into watching sports or pool at a bar. Drinks are pretty bland.
Yea- I'm not so much a fan of Gym, but had to suggest it since the OP mentioned beer (and that's got to be the beeriest place in Chelsea, no?).

I'm usually pretty popular there, if only for my height. Most people think I probably play basketball, but you boys know better!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by pitbrian
certain other members of this board prefer G (but they only take cash, which annoys me).
Whoever could you mean??

FWIW, there's an ATM in the back, and the Duane Reade at the corner has a no fee ATM if you're with Chase. Enough reason to switch to Chase!

It's too bad there's not something closer to the OP's hotel. I suppose one could go to the Boiler Room for a beer, but it's not really anything special.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
Whoever could you mean??

FWIW, there's an ATM in the back, and the Duane Reade at the corner has a no fee ATM if you're with Chase. Enough reason to switch to Chase!
Chase had me at 50,000 CO miles a year for checking accounts

But that still doesn't negate the fact that I don't earn miles buying my booze with cash!!!!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by pitbrian
But that still doesn't negate the fact that I don't earn miles buying my booze with cash!!!!
If G took cards, I'd always be sitting in the front of the plane. You know, it's important to set goals in one's life.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
Restaurant lounge

If your looking for a good dinner and drinks, at the same place, try Niso's (8th & 19th) or Lasagna (8th & 20th). Their bar scene is very friendly and the bartenders (Adam, Alex, Josh - at Niso's and Andrew, Debbie at Lasanga) are extremely fun and entertaining.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
If G took cards, I'd always be sitting in the front of the plane. You know, it's important to set goals in one's life.
I never understood why G does not take CCs. While there is the merchant fee and of course fraud danger I would think the additional revenues from drunks short on cash but somewhat more able on credit would offset this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.