Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New York bars

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2010, 10:14 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by jmuzz
Never had a problem getting into a gay bar with a foreign ID, even those that scan. Therapy, G, Rockit, Splash, Gymbar, Vlada, Phoenix. All ok, the straight places, now thats a different story!

j
I think the issue is more the legitimacy of this particular id. Foreign IDs are certainly almost always accepted (as they should be).
Old May 13, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Originally Posted by patchan8984
I'll be partying in NYC, arriving Friday at Amalia/Rockit...haha woo hoo!
if DLNYC and I finish our trip plans in time, I will be at Rockit as well this Friday.
Old May 21, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by dmf_singapore
I'm going to be in NYC for a week in July with my partner, but unfortunately he's only 20. Since we live in Asia he obviously has a Vancouver drivers license (wink - which he picked up in Bangkok). What are the chances that an ID of that sort will allow him into the clubs?
If the doorman knows that Vancouver is a city and not a province, he might question the validity of the licence (cities don't issue id). I hope it wasn't too expensive.
Old May 21, 2010, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Derek
If the doorman knows that Vancouver is a city and not a province, he might question the validity of the licence (cities don't issue id). I hope it wasn't too expensive.
And I would think a doorman would question why a passport isn't being used as ID. Even for a land crossing now you need a passport or passport card.
Old May 21, 2010, 9:22 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
And I would think a doorman would question why a passport isn't being used as ID. Even for a land crossing now you need a passport or passport card.
I would never risk losing my passport to get into a bar. Granted, they don't ID outside of the US, and I haven't looked 18 for a couple of years, but...

I have heard a few inexperienced bar staff request a passport from foreigners, but I've also heard a few state that they have to see US-issued ID, which is total bull. The overwhelming majority of (NYC) bars will accept foreign-issued driver's licenses, or similar IDs.

We want foreigners here. Nothing keeps me in a bar like a bunch of Europeans.
Old May 26, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: MileagePlus, HiltonHonors, AAdvantage, Starwood Prefered Guest, Marriott Rewards
Any suggestions for "seasoned" gays in NY?

I am in Manahattan over Memorial Day weekend. I am far from being 20 - age 50. Any suggestions for a sophisticated gay club? I am aware of The Townhouse.

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread from the younger set
Old May 26, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by DLNYC
I/We want foreigners here. Nothing keeps me in a bar like a bunch of Europeans.
Mmmm, tasty!

Originally Posted by ClipperJon
I am in Manahattan over Memorial Day weekend. I am far from being 20 - age 50. Any suggestions for a sophisticated gay club? I am aware of The Townhouse.
That's a tough one. I'm guessing you know all the usual places, G Lounge, The Monster, Therapy, The Ritz. The Townhouse is really in a class of its own.

How about popping into the bars at some of the restaurants on the Runway (Eighth Ave between 14 and 23)? The bar at Gascogne can be fun. Or try Cafe Loup, a restaurant with a bar on 13th St and Sixth Ave. The food is good and it's probably 40% gay.
Old May 26, 2010, 5:01 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by ClipperJon

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread from the younger set
What are you talking about? Splash attracts an EXTREMELY sophisticated crowd.
Old May 27, 2010, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
What are you talking about? Splash attracts an EXTREMELY sophisticated crowd.

The few times that I do go into to Splash, mostly on the off peak hours to hang out with some of the bartenders that I know, it makes me glad that I have the time and money to pursue other interest in life other than sitting on a bar stool every night getting looped.
Old May 27, 2010, 9:33 am

NYC Bars are B-O-R-I-N-G

Face it. There is no night life really left in NYC. I live here and it is the pits. If you want to have fun, go to just about any city in Europe, and it is off the charts.

New York is VERY puritanical and Disneyfied. What a huge bore!
Old May 27, 2010, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by saint82
Face it. There is no night life really left in NYC.
I suspect your user name was your favorite club..... @:-)@:-)

http://www.discomusic.com/clubs-more/884_0_6_0_C/
Old May 27, 2010, 9:54 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by saint82
Face it. There is no night life really left in NYC. I live here and it is the pits. If you want to have fun, go to just about any city in Europe, and it is off the charts.

New York is VERY puritanical and Disneyfied. What a huge bore!
^^ to Europe. I always feel bad when Europeans ask my opinion on where to go dancing. My answer? "Back across the pond. And take me with you."
Old May 27, 2010, 9:55 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
I suspect your user name was your favorite club..... @:-)@:-)

http://www.discomusic.com/clubs-more/884_0_6_0_C/
Noticed that too. Unfortunately, all I know of the Saint is "At Large." BP is our one decent party.
Old May 27, 2010, 11:22 am

Noticed that too. Unfortunately, all I know of the Saint is "At Large." BP is our one decent party.
I suspect that in 1982 you were just a smile on your mother's face.
Old May 27, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
^^ to Europe. I always feel bad when Europeans ask my opinion on where to go dancing. My answer? "Back across the pond. And take me with you."
So true, and the more I think about it, the more I wonder why I still live here. All you can do at any of our night spots anymore is drink (which I enjoy, btw). Few places for dancing, only one cruise bar (with a security detail), no true saunas, and once well defined gay neighborhoods that grow more diffuse and integrated every year. As a gay destination, all New York has going for it is a few hundred thousand gays. I suppose if you set up your Manhunt account and bring your laptop, you're all set, but meatspace-wise, NYC has been coasting for decades on its reputation from the 70s.

But how do you change this? It's never going to be the 70s again, but many places in Europe manage to have diverse diversions. Why can't we?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.