Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MUC Hotel close to Rail

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2023, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

MUC Hotel close to Rail

Looking for advice for a hotel stay near MUC. My son lives in Bavaria and we have him booked on Air Canada to come home for Christmas. Flight is 1130am, and he lives about a 2 1/2 hour train ride from Munich. He feels it a better idea to stay closer to the airport the night before, but also isn't looking to spend a lot of money either (meaning, not staying at the actual airport hotel). It will also be 8-9pm when he arrives in Munich due to leaving after work. I've been doing my best research I can using Google Earth and whatever train system maps I can find. Trying to find a hotel close to the train that also has the airport train stopping there. On Google Earth I saw a hotel in Moosburg across from the train and also one in Neufahrn, but honestly, I am having trouble figuring out the trains because there are so many of them and which are official websites. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 7:04 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Hilton Munich City is on top of Rosenheimer Platz S-Bahn station with a direct train link to the airport.
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/muc...n-munich-city/
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 4:36 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Be aware of train closures (works on the line) until 13. November 2023 : https://www.munich-airport.com/public-transport-260822

During that time, I'd suggest the Lufthansa direct coach, stops at the main train station and at Schwabing - the IBIS München City Nord is very close to that stop.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
We stayed at the Aloft and LeMeridien right across from the main Munich train station. Both were nice and not that expensive. Train to the airport in the morning.

At the airport, the Moxy is nice and cheap. They have a shuttle that runs to/from the airport, so he could just take the train to the airport, then the shuttle to the Moxy.
Personally, I'd stay near the main train station and go in in the morning.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Be aware of train closures (works on the line) until 13. November 2023 : https://www.munich-airport.com/public-transport-260822

During that time, I'd suggest the Lufthansa direct coach, stops at the main train station and at Schwabing - the IBIS München City Nord is very close to that stop.
Yes, the Express Bus stop is just across the Ibis.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by tom tulpe

Flight is for Christmas, so likely train service will be back to normal?

Originally Posted by DanJ
Looking for advice for a hotel stay near MUC. My son lives in Bavaria and we have him booked on Air Canada to come home for Christmas. Flight is 1130am, and he lives about a 2 1/2 hour train ride from Munich. He feels it a better idea to stay closer to the airport the night before, but also isn't looking to spend a lot of money either (meaning, not staying at the actual airport hotel). It will also be 8-9pm when he arrives in Munich due to leaving after work. I've been doing my best research I can using Google Earth and whatever train system maps I can find. Trying to find a hotel close to the train that also has the airport train stopping there. On Google Earth I saw a hotel in Moosburg across from the train and also one in Neufahrn, but honestly, I am having trouble figuring out the trains because there are so many of them and which are official websites. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Do you know what train he will be taking to get to Munich after work? Will he end up going through city center (Hauptbahnhof / Main train station) or coming into some other area?

If city center area, there are many hotels around the main station. Same if he is coming into Ostbahnhof / East train station. Both have easy access to the S8 train line, which is how he would get to the airport. These would be about 45 minute trip to the airport in the morning.

If he is coming a different way and would end up closer to the airport anyway, then something like the Moxy mentioned above could be a better choice.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Flight is for Christmas, so likely train service will be back to normal?

Do you know what train he will be taking to get to Munich after work? Will he end up going through city center (Hauptbahnhof / Main train station) or coming into some other area?

If city center area, there are many hotels around the main station. Same if he is coming into Ostbahnhof / East train station. Both have easy access to the S8 train line, which is how he would get to the airport. These would be about 45 minute trip to the airport in the morning.

If he is coming a different way and would end up closer to the airport anyway, then something like the Moxy mentioned above could be a better choice.
Trip will be originating in Weiden, and depending on what time he thinks will work for him, will either be direct to Munich or connect in Regenseburg. I'm pretty sure in my searches that there is a train from Regensburg he could connect with that goes direct to the airport (RE22), whereas the direct train from Weiden goes downtown. I think I might bite the bullet and pay the extra for him to stay at the Hilton at the airport so he doesn't have to deal with transfers. He's only been living there since July and he is a slow learner on the language. So I don't want him hopping off the train in one of the small towns at 9pm and trying to figure out how to get to a hotel, and then in the morning figuring out how to get to the airport (train or Uber or whatever). If he had more time, I'm sure he would love to be downtown and so some sightseeing, but the flight is at 1130am. Also, I know I'm talking like he's a teenager or something, but he is almost 22 lol so he's not entirely helpless. But unlike my daughter who has done tons of travelling on her own, this adventure of moving to Germany for work has been really out of his comfort zone, travel wise. Thanks everyone for your help, and please, if you realize I'm missing something, please let me know.
goodeats21 and pbiflyer like this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Mst convenient is probably the Hilton at the airport, right between terminals 1 and 2.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 12:48 pm
mag

Programs: LH M&M, FTL / *S
So, don‘t worry! Munich is a nice city and pretty international for Germany…

His train will arrive at Munich Main Station (Hauptbahnhof) which is pretty much downtown. From Main Station, he can use the express train (S-Bahn) connecting to MUC in the morning.

Just look for a hotel according to budget close to main station and he will be fine… still be able to stroll through Munich, have a beer or two and easily transfer to MUC.

Sofitel is phantastic, albeit 5 Star, Intercity Hotel or Flemings will do, 25hrs is definitely the most interesting.

In Paul-Heyse-Str. are a few budget options, too.
offerendum likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Trip will be originating in Weiden, and depending on what time he thinks will work for him, will either be direct to Munich or connect in Regenseburg. I'm pretty sure in my searches that there is a train from Regensburg he could connect with that goes direct to the airport (RE22), whereas the direct train from Weiden goes downtown. I think I might bite the bullet and pay the extra for him to stay at the Hilton at the airport so he doesn't have to deal with transfers. He's only been living there since July and he is a slow learner on the language. So I don't want him hopping off the train in one of the small towns at 9pm and trying to figure out how to get to a hotel, and then in the morning figuring out how to get to the airport (train or Uber or whatever). If he had more time, I'm sure he would love to be downtown and so some sightseeing, but the flight is at 1130am. Also, I know I'm talking like he's a teenager or something, but he is almost 22 lol so he's not entirely helpless. But unlike my daughter who has done tons of travelling on her own, this adventure of moving to Germany for work has been really out of his comfort zone, travel wise. Thanks everyone for your help, and please, if you realize I'm missing something, please let me know.
I think you are too pessimistic. If he isn't a totally helpless person, it will be fine even with changing trains. Munich is the city in Germany were the most people (Germans to be clear) address me in English. Also you don't leave the train at the wrong station by accident, especially as the airport is normally the final destination.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
I think you are too pessimistic. If he isn't a totally helpless person, it will be fine even with changing trains. Munich is the city in Germany were the most people (Germans to be clear) address me in English. Also you don't leave the train at the wrong station by accident, especially as the airport is normally the final destination.
I talked to him yesterday and we decided he would stay at the Airport Hilton. It's surprisingly affordable for an on-airport hotel, it's not going to be much more than staying in an area hotel and having to pay for transfers between train-hotel and hotel-airport. Not to mention the convenience. And he can go right to the airport from Regensburg. If he had more time, he would love to stay in downtown Munich and explore for a day but he works until mid afternoon on the Tuesday and the flight is late morning Wednesday.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I talked to him yesterday and we decided he would stay at the Airport Hilton. It's surprisingly affordable for an on-airport hotel, it's not going to be much more than staying in an area hotel and having to pay for transfers between train-hotel and hotel-airport. Not to mention the convenience. And he can go right to the airport from Regensburg. If he had more time, he would love to stay in downtown Munich and explore for a day but he works until mid afternoon on the Tuesday and the flight is late morning Wednesday.
Definitely the most convenient decision.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 9:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Also, I know I'm talking like he's a teenager or something, but he is almost 22 lol so he's not entirely helpless. But unlike my daughter who has done tons of travelling on her own, this adventure of moving to Germany for work has been really out of his comfort zone, travel wise. Thanks everyone for your help, and please, if you realize I'm missing something, please let me know.
You might let him plan his things on his own... that way one learns and becomes travel smart
offerendum and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
You might let him plan his things on his own... that way one learns and becomes travel smart
Baby steps, especially when it's my credit card lol. He is getting better at doing stuff on his own over there. He's gone to Nuremberg a few times on day trips and is going down to some castle near the Austrian border southwest of Munich for the weekend, booking all the arrangements himself.
goodeats21 and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.