Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Checking luggage at FRA during layover

Old Nov 12, 20, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium

I will transit FRA, arriving morning, on my way to Berlin, departing evening. I would like to check my carry-on small luggage so I can do a day-trip to Heidelberg. Flying in and out on Lufthansa.
Thank you for your advice.
Old Nov 12, 20, 2:57 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Where are you flying from?
Old Nov 12, 20, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

New York (JFK)
Old Nov 13, 20, 12:22 am
Suspended

Baggage storage info:

https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en...e-storage.html

Use the one in T1B arrivals. It's going to be the shortest detour on your way from the gate to either the train station or the rental car counter. (I strongly recommend taking the train to Heidelberg.)
Old Nov 13, 20, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Indeed. Cars are not useful for the old historic centre of Heidelberg.
Old Nov 13, 20, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Perfect. I'll take the train. Thank you.
Old Nov 13, 20, 5:37 am

Not to be a buzzkill, but are you flying this year and have been in US longer than 72 hours prior to arrival? If so then technically you wouldn't be allowed to do a day trip on your transit.

The Covid rules basically say that you are allowed to transit, but if you aren't just transiting, which existing the secure area isn't, then you need to go directly into quarantine for at least 5 days. Check the Coronavirus Testing at the Airport section of the Frankfurt Airport website.
Old Nov 13, 20, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
That's a good point. Are you permitted to enter Germany OP?
Old Nov 13, 20, 1:48 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If the OP is 'on the way to Berlin' then one has to assume s/he is allowed to enter Germany
Old Nov 15, 20, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
That's a good point. Are you permitted to enter Germany OP?
I live half the year in Miami and the other half in NYC. Due to Covid-19, I did not return to NYC last May so I am still in Miami and, hopefully, will return to NYC in May, 2021. I'm hoping the vaccine will exist by then and I will have access to it.

If all of that happens, I will fly to Germany at the end of May. I now have decided to overnight at a FRA hotel and leisurely train to/from Heidelberg. Then, fly on to Berlin. Of course, none of this may happen, especially if Covid-19 is not tamed.

I thank everyone for all of the advice which is very informative.
Old Nov 15, 20, 2:05 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by uncle wiggily View Post
I live half the year in Miami and the other half in NYC. Due to Covid-19, I did not return to NYC last May so I am still in Miami and, hopefully, will return to NYC in May, 2021. I'm hoping the vaccine will exist by then and I will have access to it.

If all of that happens, I will fly to Germany at the end of May. I now have decided to overnight at a FRA hotel and leisurely train to/from Heidelberg. Then, fly on to Berlin. Of course, none of this may happen, especially if Covid-19 is not tamed.

I thank everyone for all of the advice which is very informative.
Good luck but I wouldn't count on it
Old Nov 15, 20, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In that case, I would not even be remotely concerned about any of this, nor would I book anything before mid April. Between schedules, admissibility, quarantine (and what quarantine entails), there is no reasonable way to do any planning at this stage.
Old Nov 16, 20, 5:49 am
Suspended

Yeah, it's not possible to book the train at this stage anyway. (However, you can count on the trip to take under 1h each way and not be very pricey.)

If you want to book a hotel in Heidelberg at this time, don't book anything which requires a pre-payment. Heidelberg's hospitality industry is hurting badly under covid. Some hotels, including the CP Heidelberg, have shut due to bankruptcy. Probably wise to avoid anything involving pre-payment for the overnight in FRA, either (for the same reason).

As for the flight into FRA, I would not have a problem with booking now for next May provided I find a good deal. You can rebook flexibly and the chance of LH going broke are fairly slim. Of course, it's entirely reasonable to hold off with committing to booking any part of the trip until February or March of next year.
Old Nov 16, 20, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

My plans in detail

I'm planning on flying the UAL Dreamliner from EWR to FRA. Check into Airport hotel, shower, nap and train to Heidelberg for the afternoon/evening. Fly LF A320 to BER the next day. Last time I was in Berlin was in the 70s. Lots to see/experience.

Fly AF A321 to Paris, CDG. Lived in Paris in the 80s. Been back many times. Paris is my heart's home. Love France. Love/hate les francais.

Fly RAM A321 to Casa/transfer to RAM Dreamliner to JFK.

I hope to do this trip in May. If Covid-19 prevents it then, September.

Thanks for all your tips.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: