Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Munich-outerlying areas

Munich-outerlying areas

Old Feb 19, 17, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Munich-outerlying areas

Will be arriving in Munich Sept 10 to pick up a BMW, Euro delivery program. Planning to get to Welt 9 am or whatever time tours begin the get car about 11 am. I'm told expect 90 min so let's say I'm leaving at 1 pm. My next stop is Lake Como, maybe Lugano. Just under 5 hrs quickest route but want to see Neuwanstein Castle(sp?). That's going to add some time, obviously so this is not going to happen along the way.

What's close to the Castle? Schloss Elmau I see but how far from Munich and the Castle? Other options? Maybe Garmisch-P? Other options? Wife's going to need luxury accommodations so not sure what other options exist. Been to Munich so looking to spend little time there. Just need a nice spot to spend one, maybe two days.
Old Feb 20, 17, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Jonesdds View Post
What's close to the Castle? Schloss Elmau I see but how far from Munich and the Castle? Other options? Maybe Garmisch-P? Other options? Wife's going to need luxury accommodations so not sure what other options exist. Been to Munich so looking to spend little time there. Just need a nice spot to spend one, maybe two days.
I usually combine Neuschwanstein with a trip to Oberammergau. Lovely little place. Take a look at the honeymoon suite at Hotel Maximilian - surely not the top end of "luxury" accomodation, but as close as you'll get there.
Old Feb 20, 17, 3:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I always take visitors to Neuschwanstein, but just take a look at the castle from the Marienbrücke and then head over to Schloss Linderhof. The latter is a much better representation of how crazy Ludwig was.
Old Feb 20, 17, 7:22 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Tegernsee could be an option. The Althoff is a decent house with 3 star restaurant.
Old Feb 20, 17, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Tegernsee could be an option. The Althoff is a decent house with 3 star restaurant.
I noticed that place on Virtuoso site. But I'd prefer to head in the direction of my next stop.

What about Fussen, seems to be reasonably close and on the way to my next destination. Anything interesting there?
Old Feb 20, 17, 10:07 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Jonesdds View Post
I noticed that place on Virtuoso site. But I'd prefer to head in the direction of my next stop.

What about Fussen, seems to be reasonably close and on the way to my next destination. Anything interesting there?
Not in the luxury-segment. If you search real luxury, Elmau is the best bet. Not the same league but still decent is Alpenhof Murnau.
Old Feb 22, 17, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
It's pretty hard to beat Elmau. Been there many times and never let down. It's a fantastic place to unwind, go hiking, eat delicious food...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: