Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Connecting in FRA. Possible to get Covid test before next flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.6 MM, 1K, HHonors Diamond

Hello Flyertalk community,

Flying to FRA on UA in a couple of weeks with connection to GVA on LX. I should have about 2.5 - 3h before my GVA flight and was thinking of going to get a free Covid test in the main terminal. This will require that I exit, get the test (assuming that the wait time is reasonable, which it was the last time I went to FRA) and then go back trough security for my connecting flight.
Anyone has had an opportunity to do something like this? Any issue with going through security again? I wouldn't think so, but thought I would inquire with other expert flyers.

Thanks in advance for any insights,

Szbenny
Old Dec 10, 2020, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Are you permitted to enter Germany?
SFO777 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Are you permitted to enter Germany?
And Switzerland?
Old Dec 10, 2020, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
And Switzerland?
Very valid questions. I should have mentioned that I have a European passport, so yes to both.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Actually I have a feeling the answer is actually NO. You may not enter Switzerland (except CH nationals/residents) from the US even if you transit through Germany.
The current restriction is based on departure country:

List of high-risk countries and regions

All states outside the Schengen area, with the exception of:
–Andorra–Australia–Bulgaria–Croatia–Cyprus–Ho ly See–Ireland–Japan–Monaco–New Zealand–Romania–Rwanda–San Marino–South Korea–Singapore–Thailand–Uruguay
Old Dec 10, 2020, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bankops
Actually I have a feeling the answer is actually NO. You may not enter Switzerland (except CH nationals/residents) from the US even if you transit through Germany.
The current restriction is based on departure country:

List of high-risk countries and regions

All states outside the Schengen area, with the exception of:
–Andorra–Australia–Bulgaria–Croatia–Cyprus–Holy See–Ireland–Japan–Monaco–New Zealand–Romania–Rwanda–San Marino–South Korea–Singapore–Thailand–Uruguay
True, but one can still arrive in Switzerland, but will need to self quarantine. I am actually going to France from Geneva (same restrictions).

Any input on the possibility of doing a Covid test when transiting through FRA?
Old Dec 10, 2020, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA HA AS
I wouldn't recommend testing in a place you don't live. If it ends up positive you are stuck there.
malgudi and SilverJonten like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
You can get a test, but the results may not be not immediate.
There is nothing to physically prevent you from exiting the terminal once you've made it into the Schengen zone (which you will be able to with an EU passport).

See here for info and options.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
You can get a test, but the results may not be not immediate.
There is nothing to physically prevent you from exiting the terminal once you've made it into the Schengen zone (which you will be able to with an EU passport).

See here for info and options.
Thank you for the info. I flew to Frankfurt last October and did a test there, but it was my final destination. Got the results within 24h (indeed they are not immediate, but I don't need them right away). I'll continue looking into the option.
Thanks for the reply.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 4:55 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by szbenny
Flying to FRA on UA in a couple of weeks with connection to GVA on LX. I should have about 2.5 - 3h before my GVA flight and was thinking of going to get a free Covid test in the main terminal.
My understanding is the free testing ends on December 15th so it sounds like you'll need to 💰
Old Dec 11, 2020, 9:21 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Why do you want to get a test? It sounds like you are going to self-isolate anyway so does it really matter?

I believe that you would need a test before the flight if you were flying directly from the US to France. But I don't think anyone will check if you take a train into France from Geneva.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I know we're all in this together, but I wonder why the place in FRA should pick up the cost of a test when you are just transiting.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supine
My understanding is the free testing ends on December 15th so it sounds like you'll need to 💰
Thanks for the tip.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 2:15 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by szbenny
True, but one can still arrive in Switzerland, but will need to self quarantine. I am actually going to France from Geneva (same restrictions).

Any input on the possibility of doing a Covid test when transiting through FRA?
I do not have first hand experience but your statement does not agree with the Swiss government's statements:

" it is no longer possible for third-country nationals to fly to Switzerland from the USA via Toronto", so replace Toronto with Frankfurt.
https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/do...-id-80228.html

"A citizen of the third country may not enter Switzerland from a high-risk country, even if they travel in transit through a country that is not on the high-risk list."
https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...countries.html
Old Dec 12, 2020, 3:21 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by bankops
I do not have first hand experience but your statement does not agree with the Swiss government's statements:

" it is no longer possible for third-country nationals to fly to Switzerland from the USA via Toronto", so replace Toronto with Frankfurt.
https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/do...-id-80228.html

"A citizen of the third country may not enter Switzerland from a high-risk country, even if they travel in transit through a country that is not on the high-risk list."
https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...countries.html
The OP has a "European" passport. If this is a Swiss passport, or a passport from one of the 30 European countries that make up the EU/EEA, or a British passport until 31 December 2020, they are entitled to enter Switzerland for any reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.