Coronavirus in Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingfkb
Coronavirus in Germany

Update on entry rules: People’s Republic of China (excluding the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region) is classified as an “area of variants of concern in which a variant of particular concern threatens to emerge”

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...ublicationFile

Changes since last amendment As of 0 a.m. (midnight) on 9 January 2023, the People’s Republic of China (excluding the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region) is classified as an “area of variants of concern in which a variant of particular concern threatens to emerge” (see below for information regarding corresponding obligations to furnish proof before entry and/or obligations for random testing after entry into Germany). On account of the dynamic development of infection rates, short-notice changes to classification are possible at any time.

Note: As of 0 a.m. (midnight) on 7 January 2023, with the entry into force of the “Eighth Ordinance amending the Coronavirus Entry Regulations”, the previous category of “areas of variants of concern” (an area of variants of concern in which a variant of particular concern already exists) is complemented by an additional, new category:

An area of variants of concern in which a “variant of particular concern threatens to emerge”. Classifying an area as such is associated with an obligation to furnish proof upon entry into Germany (through proof of testing using a nucleic acid test (PCR) or PoC antigen test).

To help detect potential newly emerging or re-emerging particularly dangerous virus variants, the newly introduced section 5a of the Ordinance on Coronavirus Entry Regulations enables the competent authorities to require additional random testing after entry into Germany from areas of variants of concern.

There is no obligation to register before entry into Germany.

An obligation to quarantine (“obligation to self-isolate”) upon entry into Germany or a “ban on carriage” still only applies for regions classified as areas of variants of concern, in which a variant of particular concern already exists. The criterion for distinction is therefore whether a variant of particular concern already exists or (only) threatens to emerge.

Since beginning of April almost all rules and restrictions have been lifted!

Currently, there are no general borders closure, but see link below for restrictions. There are still controls at certain borders, but in general free movement with the European Union is possible. Currently no country is listed as a high risk area or a virus variant area. Please always check the current list at Robert-Koch-Institut (RKI) since it can change.

There are also quarantine requirements if you travel to Germany from a virus variant country. Among those are all those, who are on the list of the

The Federal Ministry of Health as set up a homepage with FAQ for those travelling to Germany. Addition information could be found on the homepage of the ministry of foreign affairs (Auswärtiges Amt)

Corona rules in Germany
In general all restrictions have been lifted. Restaurants, bars, clubs, museums, sport venues are open and can be entered without a mask or any additional checks. Only exceptions are:
Public transport: Almost in every state a FFP-2 mask is required
Hospitals, assisted living homes or other institutions with vulnerable people: A FFP-2 mask is required

3G or 2G rule (currently not applied)
If you travel around Germany you will come across the 3G or 2G rules. The G stands for
- Geimpft / Vaccinated
- Genesen / Recovered
- Getested / Tested

3G means that you must be either fully vaccinated, recovered or tested to enter a location
2G means you must be either fully vaccinated or recovered to enter a location. A negative test is NOT sufficient
In addition you need will often need an FFP2 mask.

If you see something like 2G+ or 2G Plus it means that in addition to your fully vaccination or recovery you MUST provide a negative test!

The simplest way to proof your vaccination or recovery is a digital EU certificate. If you are a tourists without access to such a certificate the yellow WHO vaccination passport is sufficient or for Americans your CDC card. Always have some kind of identification ready. Some locations are not familiar with the CDC card and you might need to discuss with them.In addition the official rule is fuzzy and leaves open what a comparable proof of vaccination is. See below:

Es muss sich um ein digitales COVID-Zertifikat der EU oder einen vergleichbaren Impfnachweis in digitaler oder verkörperter Form (Papierform) in deutscher, englischer, französischer, italienischer oder spanischer Sprache handeln. Abfotografierte verkörperte Nachweise gelten nicht als digitale Nachweise. Nachweise in digitaler Form sollten vom berechtigten Aussteller digital ausgestellt und digital dem Berechtigten übermittelt worden sein.

It must be a digital EU COVID certificate or a comparable proof of vaccination in digital or physical form (paper form) in German, English, French, Italian or Spanish. Photographed embodied evidence is not considered digital evidence. Evidence in digital form should have been issued digitally by the authorized issuer and transmitted digitally to the authorized person.

"Local Hotspot meassures" in Germany are possible

In case of high incident rate each state can decided to reimplement additional measures. Please check the websites of the individual states for more information

Curfew / limitation of movement
There are NO curfews

Gatherings
There are NO limitations

Travel
Check the current travel rules at Re-Open Europe - Germany Document checklist

Travellers over the age of 12 must carry with them proof of vaccination, recovery or a negative test result (PCR or antigen). Documents equivalent to the 'EU Digital COVID Certificate' (EUDCC) are accepted if they meet the same requirements:
  • Proof of vaccination after receiving full vaccination. Vaccine certificates are valid for 270 days. Vaccines authorised by the European Union (EU) or vaccines which are licensed in a third country and identical in formulation to a vaccine in the EU are accepted.
Or
  • Proof of recovery showing a positive PCR test result carried out at least 28 days but no more than 90 days prior.
Or
  • Negative result to a test taken no earlier than 48 hours before the actual time or scheduled time of entry. Where entry takes place using a carrier, the scheduled time of departure is decisive.
Entry from high-risk and virus variant countries/areas

Special rules apply to travellers arriving in Germany from countries designated as "high-risk" or "virus variant." High-risk areas are where there is an increased risk of infection or where there are other indications that there is such risk; virus variant areas can be areas with widespread occurence of a mutant strain of the virus that is not prevalent in Germany. With only a few exceptions, including German citizens, airlines are prohibited from carrying persons from areas of variant concern.

Although no countries or areas are currently identified as high-risk or virus variant, this situation may change at short notice:
  • Travellers arriving from such international risk areas must complete the Digital Registration on Entry form before they arrive.
  • Travellers entering Germany following a stay in a high-risk area enter home quarantine for 10 days. Home quarantine can be ended early by submitting proof of vaccination or of recovery via the upload portal Digital Registration on Entry. If these documents were already submitted, no quarantine is necessary. For all others, quarantine can only end with a negative test result.
  • Travellers approved for entry from a stay in an area of variant concern enter home quarantine for 14 days. At the time of entry they must present their carrier with a negative PCR test result. Proof of vaccination or recovery does not suffice. In the context of cross-border traffic into Germany, this proof may be demanded by the Federal Police. If using a carrier to enter Germany, the PCR test result must be less than 48 hours old at the time of the scheduled start of the journey.
  • Furthermore, the German authorities may require travellers who spent time in an area of variant concern to take additional PCR tests after entry.
  • Children who have stayed in a high-risk area are no longer required to enter quarantine on arrival.
Learn more

Federal Ministry of Health

Social Life
No limitations.

Sport
No limitations

The general rules are summarized
  • FFP2 mask for public transportation and hospitals
  • General hygienic rules recommended

Federal Government
Information on the homepage of the Federal Government in Berlin

There might be some difference as of today for the federal states:

Federal States

Baden-Württemberg
Information on Homepage

Bavaria (Bayern)
Information on homepage

Mandatory to wear FFP2 mask in public transportation.

Berlin
Information on homepage

Brandenburg
Information on homepage. You need to look for the different information There seems to be no special page.

Bremen
Information on homepage

Hamburg
Information on homepage

Hesse (Hessen)
Information on homepage

Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen)
Information on homepage

Mecklenburg-Vorpommen
Information on homepage

North Rhine - Westphalia (Nordrhein-Westfalen)
Information on homepage

Rhineland Palantine (Rheinland-Pflaz)
Information on homepage

Saarland
Information on homepage.

Saxonia (Sachsen)
Information on Homepage

Saxony-Anhalt (Sachsen-Anhalt)
Information on Homepage / detailed information Homepage

Schleswig-Holstein
Information on Homepage

Thuringia (Thüringen)
Information on Homepage

Related discussions threads about travel in / to Germany

Summer tourism in Germany
Quarantine rules relaxed (May 2021)
Covid19 testing in FRA / MUC

Updated on April 22st 2022

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2020, 4:28 am

Programs: UA-½K
Originally Posted by escape4
How exactly are hotels in Munich policing this? Will I need to tell them at check-in what is my purpose in the city?
They present you with a legal form you are to sign stating your purpose of stay. This is what the Marriott did to me this past weekend.

They will also take interest in any supporting documents (like an essential worker letter).

Be aware that they are doing this for legally protecting themselves. From my experience, the hotels are nearly clueless on the rules (aside from the number of days of quarantine) and I had to give them the notice published by the Bavarian government to help them out. It's the first official thing they've seen.

Note that just because I said they are clueless as to the details, this does not mean they are failing to take matters seriously regarding sanitation & social distancing.

Immigration, customs are giving more scrutiny, as they are actively trying to weed out tourists. However, they have no info as to my responsibilities once I arrive.

One issue I have had to deal with was how to be tested after 5 days. There's plenty of testing opportunities in Munich, but everything is set up for German citizens only. If you are not a citizen, apparently you cannot be tested. The facilities told me to contact the local health authority, and when I did, they gave me locations for citizens to be tested and told me I am responsible for filling in the registration form required for people flying in from overseas. Great info, but useless.

It appears the only way I have found to be tested is at the airport at the Test&Fly center. There are two testing centers there - one is for citizens, the other Test&Fly one is a paid service. Bonus is you get your results in a few hours if you test early in the day.

I have a couple days left of quarantine before going there.
escape4 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
To avoid any misunderstanding: I am not planning to provide false info, I am just curious if I have to expect any queues leaving the Schengen airside area.
I went through FRA and MUC last Sunday afternoon. All I can say is the lines (for me) were non-existent. My travel companion and I had just one person in line in front of us at passport control. I was greeted by bored passport control officers who were dumbfounded that two Americans showed up to enter Germany. They used the time to thoroughly scrutinize our travel, as there was no obvious rush to deal with. This involved quizzing me on the purpose of my travel (essential business), looked over my digital registration, past stamps in my passport, looking very carefully over the documentation I brought with me (invitation letter from German company, German essential worker form, recent COVID test, proof of digital registration). This was the first time they ever demanded that I show them proof I had a return ticket.

Not at all like the experiences I had going there multiple times before, with long lines and hardly a glance (or a rare question) before they stamp your passport and send you off. This trip was also the first time I was corralled by customs in Munich. I don't know what set him off, but he probably saw the baggage tags as we went by and decided to take a closer look.

Again I was peppered with questions, mostly to determine why I was there before it went to the normal "any meats or vegetables?" He checked our stamps and sent us on our way fairly quickly.

So aside from a closer look by the authorities, it's a pretty quick process.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Well, I’m glad they’re doing their job.
flyertalker28120 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Well, I’m glad they’re doing their job.
They aren't the only ones. I got a call at 10pm tonight to my hotel room. It wasn't the local authorities, but the hotel manager calling to see if I was in my room, where I belong for the next day or two. I don't know if they have problems with other guests sneaking out, but I've been well behaved.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 10:01 pm

For COVID testing in Munich, the least hassle seems to be the Test & Fly center located on level 4 of Terminal 2 at the airport (up escalators from level 3 and go to the far north end of the terminal). 128 euros will get you tested and results set in 3-6 hours, especially if you get there early (they open at 5AM). Testing is quick - I was in and out in less than 3 minutes and they don't flinch when shown a US passport. So quick, terminal parking was 5 euros as well.

You can set appointments - info is here: https://www.munich-airport.com/coron...irport-9526455

Note the there are two types of testing centers on this page, the top one is for citizens, the bottom one "Test & Fly" is for anyone.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 2:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It is for residents, the citizenship is not really relevant. That said no one will check anything, you just sign up and show up with the QR/confirmation code and get tested. An Indian colleague got the (free) test ahead of his travel to use for entry in India. No one said anything.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
It is for residents, the citizenship is not really relevant. That said no one will check anything, you just sign up and show up with the QR/confirmation code and get tested. An Indian colleague got the (free) test ahead of his travel to use for entry in India. No one said anything.
I'm just going by the term "Bürger" which in my lousy German is "citizen". As a citizen or a resident, I am neither (I am assuming "resident" here means the same as it does in US immigration) - as I am on business travel for a month or so. I fully believe you are right, as the limited information I have read says that testing is free for anyone. Bavarian information says citizens/residents get free tests upon demand whenever they want. The Health Authority for my area (80805) did not give any real options. Additionally, I do not want to be tested by possibly misrepresenting myself.

Since getting tested is required to both break quarantine and visit my worksite, getting a timely test is critical - so the paid route was preferred by my employer and the worksite, as neither were able to confirm I could get tested in any other way. Since I am permitted to break quarantine after 5 days solely to be tested, I don't want to be running around the city looking for options.
As for the paid route, it was shockingly easy and results were delivered in 6 hours.

I'm just posting my experience in the hope it is useful to others. Isn't free testing ending on Dec 1st anyway (for everyone or travelers only?) or did they extend it?
Old Dec 13, 2020, 4:52 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

I have upated the WiKi with the latest information regarding the lockdown in Germany, which will start on December 16, 2020.

Feel free to add information, which you consider important or correct information, which is not correct.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: LH M+M
Maybe a clarification.. take-away is allowed, but no consumption on the spot (e.g. Gluehwein-Wanderungen)
Old Dec 14, 2020, 6:28 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I just want to add that Baden-Württemberg has a nightly curfew from 20:00 - 5:00 now and Bavaria from 21:00 - 5:00. Other states are expected to follow.
Police are actively enforcing this in the cities and with checks on the roads.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 12:09 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
State of Brandenburg will have a curfew from Dec. 16 - nightly between 22:00 and 5:00
Old Dec 15, 2020, 6:21 am

Hessen does not have a state-wide curfew but individual Kreisen do, 9pm to 5am:
  • Kreis Groß-Gerau: seit Freitag, 11. Dezember, bis 22. Dezember
  • Main-Kinzig-Kreis: seit Freitag, 11. Dezember, bis 20. Dezember
  • Stadt Offenbach: seit Samstag, 12. Dezember, bis 23. Dezember
  • Kreis Offenbach: seit Samstag, 12. Dezember, bis 20. Dezember
  • Kreis Limburg-Weilburg: seit Samstag, 12. Dezember, bis 22. Dezember
  • Kreis Fulda: seit Samstag, 12. Dezember, bis 20. Dezember
  • Kreis Gießen: seit Sonntag, 13. Dezember, bis 22. Dezember
  • Wetteraukreis: ab Dienstag, 15. Dezember, bis 24. Dezember
  • Odenwaldkreis: ab Dienstag, 15. Dezember, bis 23. Dezember
  • Rheingau-Taunus-Kreis: ab Mittwoch, 16. Dezember, bis 30. Dezember
  • Kreis Hersfeld-Rotenburg: ab Mittwoch, 16. Dezember, bis 23. Dezember
  • Schwalm-Eder-Kreis: ab Donnerstag, 17. Dezember, bis 10. Januar
  • Stadt Hattersheim (Main-Taunus): seit Samstag, 12. Dezember, bis 3. Januar
Source: https://www.hessenschau.de/gesellsch...perre-100.html
cockpitvisit likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 9:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Universal confusion in BER last night:

Old Dec 21, 2020, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Universal confusion in BER last night:
Saw that already - a (not so) great example of Vorauseilender Gehorsam. By all regulations, the passengers had to be let through, since they landed before the flight ban. Instead, airport authorities(?) kept inventing and modifying rules.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Germany has extended its ban on direct travel from the UK to 20th January: https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/coronavirus
FLYGVA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.