Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

What rideshare (Uber, etc.) are available in Munich?

Old Dec 3, 19, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA

Uber seems to be everywhere. But I am not a big fan of them, and Lyft I know doesn't have coverage everywhere. What rideshare services are available in Munich at the moment?

Last edited by Cloudship; Dec 3, 19 at 11:43 am Reason: Fix a typo
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:02 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Ruby (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Diamond
Free Now is an equivalent that is available in whole of Germany. I have used them once in Berlin and was happy with it.
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Forget Uber, it is illegal in some cities in Germany and generally poorly run. As fransknorge says, get the FreeNow app (former MyTaxi) and that gets you a proper taxi. Do not select Ride, since that is just a rental car with a driver who probably doesn't have a taxi license.
offerendum likes this.
Old Dec 7, 19, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
87Do not select Ride, since that is just a rental car with a driver who probably doesn't have a taxi license.
They don't have a "taxi license" as these are not taxis. But they need what is a "Personenbeförderungsschein" in German. So no worries. I use them frequently in Berlin and Frankfurt and I am more than happy with the cars, the drivers and so more the price. Freenow (which is owned by Daimler and BMW) Ride is the answer to Uber's illegal activities.

By the way: Google with translate MIETWAGEN as Rental Car, it is however what would be a limo in the US or a minicab in the UK. Mietwagen is the legal term for this in German.
Old Dec 7, 19, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
They don't have a "taxi license" as these are not taxis. But they need what is a "Personenbeförderungsschein" in German. So no worries. I use them frequently in Berlin and Frankfurt and I am more than happy with the cars, the drivers and so more the price. Freenow (which is owned by Daimler and BMW) Ride is the answer to Uber's illegal activities.

By the way: Google with translate MIETWAGEN as Rental Car, it is however what would be a limo in the US or a minicab in the UK. Mietwagen is the legal term for this in German.
I speaka da language!

Two colleagues M/F recently ordered what they thought was a FreeNow taxi. He got out before her and when they were close to her final destination, the driver asked her whether the other passenger was her boyfriend. Turns out they ordered Ride, and were a little perplexed that the car was black.
Old Dec 7, 19, 11:39 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Sixt ride is also an alternative as they sometimes offer discounts. They work together with regular taxis. You can choose between normal and premium taxis, in fact the premium is a normal Mercedes or BMW. Not really premium but otherwise there may come a Dacia...
Old Dec 8, 19, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I speaka da language!

Two colleagues M/F recently ordered what they thought was a FreeNow taxi. He got out before her and when they were close to her final destination, the driver asked her whether the other passenger was her boyfriend. Turns out they ordered Ride, and were a little perplexed that the car was black.
You do schpeek Dschermän but others don't And a "Mietwagen" is certainly not a "rental car with a driver" but a licensed car with a driver holding a license, too. Freenow is not Uber. And this is Germany and not Springfield OH.

The question you reported on might result from an overdose of hormone but has certainly nothing to do with the brand. The latest so called "proper" taxi driver I had in Düsseldorf raised the frightening question "wo du wolle fahren??" after I told him my destination in proper Dschermän. His command of Arab language was by far better than his command of Dschermän.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Dec 8, 19, 7:17 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
You do schpeek Dschermän but others don't And a "Mietwagen" is certainly not a "rental car with a driver" but a licensed car with a driver holding a license, too. Freenow is not Uber. And this is Germany and not Springfield OH.

The question you reported on might result from an overdose of hormone but has certainly nothing to do with the brand. The latest so called "proper" taxi driver I had in Düsseldorf raised the frightening question "wo du wolle fahren??" after I told him my destination in proper Dschermän. His command of Arab language was by far better than his command of Dschermän.
I agree. There are issues with licensed taxi-drivers from time to time. In my hometown there was even a sexual offense. Fortunately this issues are very very rare and drivers without proper language skills are not a German problem.
Old Dec 11, 19, 8:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Long discussion about Uber here: Uber in Germany

Bottomline is that Uber in Germany is only a broker of existing service providers and is not allowed to operate the classic UberX model they operate in the US. The service providers that uber is offering you technically are supposed to come to you from their registered base each time. Of course they don't (because they accept a new ride the moment they drop off a previous customer) and technically break the law each time. Uber doesn't care because they didn't break the law. A similar situation exists with Uber in Spain.

Of course that doesn't stop global customers to whip out their uber app and order transportation to get from A to B.

Sixt ride and Freenow (former Mytaxi) operate differently and within legal guidelines. Munich additionally has 'Clever Shuttle' which offers shared rides in EVs.
Monty_GER likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: