Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

MUC USA to Schengen connection on separate ticket - arrival procedure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Watergate

I am flying ATL-MUC on Delta with checked luggage. On a separate ticket (same day, about 3 hours connection), I am flying MUC-BUD on LH. US passport, so no visa required.

What will I be doing when I arrive at MUC?

I'm looking for as much detail as possible - where is baggage claim and customs, are they close by (I can't find a decent airport map), is there a counter for re-checking bags onto another flight? Will I need to exit the sterile zone and re-enter?

I won't be able to through check my bags as I'm on multiple airlines and tickets. I assume that I'll need to clear customs to go to baggage claim because Germany will be my first Schengen country even though I have an immediate onward flight to another Schengen country.

Additionally, I've read that MUC is very efficient and can handle 30 minute connections. Barring exceptional conditions, what is a reasonable MCT?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
You simple follow the signs, follow the signs to the other terminal, go to departures and follow the signs again. Passport and customs will be in Munich. Your flight to Madrid will be treated as a domestic flight. Munich cannot handle 30 minutes connections of your kind but three hours are really comfortable.
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
To clear up some terminology first...you don't have a connection, you have two independent flights. Now, there is a comfortable buffer of three hours, which is generous for Munich, but understand that, if your DL flight is very late, for example, and you do not arrive in time to board your LH flight, that entire ticket will be cancelled and you'll be on the hook to buy a new one. The same is true for your (I presume) return flight, except that a one-way MUC-ATL is going to be expensive. There is no such concept as MCT for separate flights.

The second terminology item is customs. Unless you are importing something illegal into Germany, or leaving goods above a declared value, you'll likely have no interaction with customs at all, and walk through the green aisle as you exit airside. What you mean is immigration/passport check/border control.

So, you land at T1 and walk to passport control, get your suitcase from the belt immediately behind, walk out through the revolving door. You then follow the signs to T2 and check in for your LH flight. Go through security and then to your gate.
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
You simple follow the signs, follow the signs to the other terminal, go to departures and follow the signs again. Passport and customs will be in Munich. Your flight to Madrid will be treated as a domestic flight. Munich cannot handle 30 minutes connections of your kind but three hours are really comfortable.
...and Budapest also!
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
...and Budapest also!
From my currently Australien perspective it is in the neighbourhood.
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Watergate
Originally Posted by LondonElite
So, you land at T1 and walk to passport control, get your suitcase from the belt immediately behind, walk out through the revolving door. You then follow the signs to T2 and check in for your LH flight. Go through security and then to your gate.
Ah this is what I was interested in. So I do actually 'leave' the airport and re-enter as anyone off the street would, including re-clearing security? Thank you for clarifying.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichardNixon
Ah this is what I was interested in. So I do actually 'leave' the airport and re-enter as anyone off the street would, including re-clearing security? Thank you for clarifying.
Well, you don't actually leave the airport, you will go down a ramp after collecting your bag, then walking underground through a mini mall until you get to the forecourt of T2. Cross that and you'll soon see the LH check-in desks, with security just behind that. From picking up your bags to the check-in desks I would imagine it can't take you more than about five to seven minutes walking.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardNixon
This is pretty obvious. As you need to collect your luggage you will have to leave the secured area and need to clear security. This would not be required if you travelled with hand luggage only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.