Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Connection time in Tegel

Connection time in Tegel

Old Oct 4, 19, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Connection time in Tegel

Is 2 hours enough time to make an international connecting flight in Tegel airport with checked luggage?

I'm flying into Tegel from Venice by Easyjet. From there, I'm flying to Heathrow then JFK by British air and have about 2 hours between the flights. I want to check 1 bag, not declaring anything.

Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 19, 9:13 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

It would be doable with hand luggage - if everything works out and if your Tegel bound flight on EasyJet is not delayed. However if the flight is delayed by more than 20 minutes, it would be tight. And since you are on a separate ticket, British Airways is not liabel in case you miss your flight and have no fully flexible ticket.

I assume you have checked luggage on your Tegel flight as well? Add 30 minutes for waiting of your luggage after your arrive, this cuts the transfer time to 1:30. Now your flight is delayed by 20 minutes than you are down to 1:10, head up to the BA counters and your are approaching luggage check in closing time rapidly.

In short - I would not do this with such a short connection time on separate tickets. I would book with at least the double amount of time between the flights.
Old Oct 7, 19, 6:37 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Accor gold, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold, A3 *Gold
Repeat after me:
If it's on separate tickets (and one of them is on Easyjet to boot), it's not a connection.
It's ending one trip and starting another one.

And yes, 2hrs is too short, esp. if a trip to the US is involved.
Old Oct 7, 19, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
There's no connection, that's true, but with two hours between the flights I'm confident it can be done, even with checked luggage. TXL is small. If your checked luggage comes out reasonably quickly you'll be fine. Of course if you are delayed, you'll be buying a new ticket to the US...
Old Oct 8, 19, 7:11 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Accor gold, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
There's no connection, that's true, but with two hours between the flights I'm confident it can be done, even with checked luggage. TXL is small. If your checked luggage comes out reasonably quickly you'll be fine. Of course if you are delayed, you'll be buying a new ticket to the US...
Easyjet to BA means a terminal change from C to A. Not as straightforward as it might seem.
Old Oct 8, 19, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by tom tulpe View Post
Easyjet to BA means a terminal change from C to A. Not as straightforward as it might seem.
I live in Berlin. TXL is my home airport. This is certainly doable and is quite straightforward. But it is not a connection and offers no protection.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: