Wiki Posts
Search

Warnemünde or Dresden?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:44 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
Ok, for future reference, keep in mind Wismar, Stralsund, or Greifswald, which are larger than Warnemuende, and pretty towns.
Or Kühlungsborn or Heiligendamm or the Fischland-Darß-Zingst peninsula. Smaller towns than Warnemünde, and not as close to Rostock and mainline trains, but prettier. Or Rügen. Or Hiddensee.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Food theme is the same at all German cities. Individual restaurants are replaced by chain eateries. Otherwise I don’t share your opinion about Dresden.
Still plenty of independent and decent restaurants in most German cities including Dresden. Certainly less chain places than in America or even the UK. I would also agree that Dresden is still a great place to visit (and in fact likely a better place to visit now than it would have been 20 years ago). I was there once in the 80s and now *that* was kinda grim.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
Ok, for future reference, keep in mind Wismar, Stralsund, or Greifswald, which are larger than Warnemuende, and pretty towns.
All this, along with Warnemuende and indeed Dresden too, sounds very interesting. But how safe are these places to visit, in today's Germany, for people of colour?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by puchong
All this, along with Warnemuende and indeed Dresden too, sounds very interesting. But how safe are these places to visit, in today's Germany, for people of colour?
As a POC, I have never had an issue anywhere in Germany. I have never even felt the least bit uncomfortable in Germany. I don't think I would ever even give it a thought. Unless somethings have changed since last year, I expect that I will experience the same welcome I always have.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Germany today? Germany is no battlefield. It’s absolutely safe, no need to bother.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Germany today? Germany is no battlefield. It’s absolutely safe, no need to bother.
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
As a POC, I have never had an issue anywhere in Germany. I have never even felt the least bit uncomfortable in Germany. I don't think I would ever even give it a thought. Unless somethings have changed since last year, I expect that I will experience the same welcome I always have.
Don't mean to argue or debate, but are the very frequent recent reports of attacks on POC, especially in the former DDR, all fake news?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
I can only address my personal experiences. I've been traveling to Germany since the 80s. Obviously, mostly in the west until the 90s.. I have driven all over, taken trains, busses, planes, etc. I can not think of one racial incident that I have experienced. There are counties in my own state where I often feel uncomfortable, but I have never felt that way in Germany.

I wish I could remember all of the hundreds of Germans I have met who have extended warm welcomes and I have worked with, dined with, gotten drunk with, laughed with. It is truly one of my favorite countries on the planet. That being said, like anywhere else, be aware of your surroundings and know where you are. Although, I have felt pretty safe stumbling through Berlin at dawn after a crazy night.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Don't mean to argue or debate, but are the very frequent recent reports of attacks on POC, especially in the former DDR, all fake news?
Wouldn´t say fake news but it´s not as frequent as you may think. If you consider how many POC are in Germany and how many attacs there are it´s of course a problem but not that dramatic as people think. If you consider further that many of this attacs are against dedicated refugees homes etc. the risk for a POC in Germany is very low. I guess the relative frequency of such attacs is much higher in many parts of the US.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:54 pm

The chance of being attacked for being a "POC" in Dresden or Warnemuende is much smaller than the odds of being mugged and assaulted by criminals in Berlin, Paris, London etc.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
The chance of being attacked for being a "POC" in Dresden or Warnemuende is much smaller than the odds of being mugged and assaulted by criminals in Berlin, Paris, London etc.
Absolutely double this!
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Certainly safer than any visit to the US for people of any color. Germany has 0,7 murders per year per 100.000 inhabitants, the US offer four times as much,
offerendum likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Certainly safer than any visit to the US for people of any color. Germany has 0,7 murders per year per 100.000 inhabitants, the US offer four times as much,
And many of this around 400 murders are out of a relationship. In the US in 2016 it was 5,3 on 100 T,

If you ask for right-wing Acts of violence (which includes violance against POC out of raciest Motives) it were in whole Germany 1600 in 2016, 1190 were against foreigners. Included is every act of violance, also against left-wing groups etc. Also many acts are against accomodations of refugees (153) so I guess there are perhaps maximum 500 acts per year in whole Germany against POC. which are normally no tourists If you consider this it´s very very unlikely you are a victim as a tourist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.