FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Warnemünde or Dresden? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1872590-warnemuende-dresden.html)

bitterproffit Oct 17, 2017 7:45 pm

Warnemünde or Dresden?

M-W in June. I like city architecture and European seaside resorts. Not sure which to go to. Anyone been to both and have a preference? I don't think I can go wrong with either, but torn and curious.

offerendum Oct 18, 2017 3:59 am

Dresden without question. Warnemünde is not comparable in any way. Only pro is that you are at the ocean. To be honest I'm not a big fan. Dresden has some of the finest architecture and museums available.

bitterproffit Oct 18, 2017 4:47 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 28946226)
Dresden without question. Warnemünde is not comparable in any way. Only pro is that you are at the ocean. To be honest I'm not a big fan. Dresden has some of the finest architecture and museums available.

Thank you! I respect your opinions on many things I have read. I think you are on to something. I have 2 nights already reserved at the Hilton Dresden and it looks like it is well situated. I was doubting my decision, but you helped me sway it back.

offerendum Oct 18, 2017 10:55 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 28946331)
Thank you! I respect your opinions on many things I have read. I think you are on to something. I have 2 nights already reserved at the Hilton Dresden and it looks like it is well situated. I was doubting my decision, but you helped me sway it back.

Location of Hilton is very central and ideal for exploring the town. Never saw it from inside.

Travel K Oct 18, 2017 9:23 pm

The Hilton is great, I have stayed at it before. Dresden is gorgeous and probably my favorite German town. I haven't been to the other though to compare. Dresden won't disappoint though.

Flying Lawyer Oct 18, 2017 11:17 pm

No doubt at all. Dresden

SunshineStay Oct 23, 2017 2:37 am

In case you need some further assurance: Definitely Dresden. Not even close.

flugvergnugen Oct 25, 2017 7:43 am

Just curious, why those two? One is a city, the other a village, and they're not close by. Seems like an odd choice at first sight.

StephanBe Nov 2, 2017 6:57 am

Dresden for sure. Warnemünde is nice, but not much to do there.

NeedstoFly Nov 11, 2017 9:40 am

The museums in Dresden are excellent but beyond that it's a pretty grim place. Most of the centre has been rebuilt into a high end American suburban mall. Don't expect quaint restaurants etc. It's mainly chain eateries, a lot of burgers and other American food on offer. Also expect hordes of German tourists intent on shopping at places like H&M; the lines to get into the Frauenkirche are epic. Neustadt on the other side of the Elbe maybe more authentic. But it's doesn't have much by way of sights.

bitterproffit Nov 11, 2017 9:45 am

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen (Post 28974677)
Just curious, why those two? One is a city, the other a village, and they're not close by. Seems like an odd choice at first sight.

I have and will visit several other cities in Germany this summer. It is one of my favorite places. I am spending the weekend in Berlin and have a couple of free weekdays to spend that I thought I would visit some places in that part of Germany. I have been to Berlin several times.

I have always been interested in Dresden, but an old Baltic beach town seems fascinating too. But I just made a great Hilton redemption at the Hilton Dresden for a couple of nights, so there I go.

Thanks for all the advice on this thread though. Really helps.

offerendum Nov 11, 2017 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by NeedstoFly (Post 29048000)
The museums in Dresden are excellent but beyond that it's a pretty grim place. Most of the centre has been rebuilt into a high end American suburban mall. Don't expect quaint restaurants etc. It's mainly chain eateries, a lot of burgers and other American food on offer. Also expect hordes of German tourists intent on shopping at places like H&M; the lines to get into the Frauenkirche are epic. Neustadt on the other side of the Elbe maybe more authentic. But it's doesn't have much by way of sights.

Food theme is the same at all German cities. Individual restaurants are replaced by chain eateries. Otherwise I don’t share your opinion about Dresden.

TheMadBrewer Nov 12, 2017 11:59 pm

Actually spent a day in Warnemünde a few years ago. A few summers ago three of us did a bike tour from Jena to Rostock and went up to Warnemünde for the day just to dip our toes in the Baltic. Seemed nice enough but not sure I'd be in a hurry to go back. Then again, I am used to California beach towns so I may be biased :)

The original plan was to then take the ferry over to Denmark and ride to Copenhagen, but my brother had some work issues and had to get back so we dropped that portion. But we want to somebody finish that leg so maybe we'll head back to Warnemünde :)

flugvergnugen Nov 16, 2017 8:18 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 29048024)
an old Baltic beach town seems fascinating too

Ok, for future reference, keep in mind Wismar, Stralsund, or Greifswald, which are larger than Warnemuende, and pretty towns.

Tanya934 Jan 1, 2018 12:51 pm

Warnemunde is very popular with the cruise ships so can become very busy when they are in port. Having said that, it is a lovely town with plenty of shops and places to eat and is popular with tourists. Having never been to Dresden, i could not say which is my favourite.