Wiki Posts
Search

6 month passport expiration question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP.
6 month passport expiration question

I booked a flight for a friend leaving tmw from EWR-DUS with LH and just noticed his passport expires April 8 2018. Lufthansa isn't giving me a clear answer if whether he can fly or not and they are telling me to call the consulate...which is closed. Would you guys happen to know if he can fly or he'll be denied boarding and entry.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Amil; Oct 15, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Check the entry requirements for Germany (USA passport???) on TIMATIC. IIRC there's a link on the UA website somewhere or you can search for links that have been posted on FT. I'm suggesting UA since it's a LH partner, but in the past I've used the link from the SkyTeam website for my DL flights, although that link might have been removed.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Check the entry requirements for Germany (USA passport???) on TIMATIC. IIRC there's a link on the UA website somewhere or you can search for links that have been posted on FT. I'm suggesting UA since it's a LH partner, but in the past I've used the link from the SkyTeam website for my DL flights, although that link might have been removed.

Yes sorry. USA passport. I used this website it said its fine http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/pass...quirements.htm but will try to look up the UA one. Thank you so much
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Amil
Yes sorry. USA passport. I used this website it said its fine http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/pass...quirements.htm but will try to look up the UA one. Thank you so much
I'm not sure what database your Priceline IATA site uses, but TIMATIC is what the airlines use as their authoritative source. I highly suggest finding what TIMATIC says and they carrying a printout.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Just used the UA site https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=timatic also shows its fine. So he should be ok if it gave the green checkmarks?
Attached Images  
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:45 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Germany is in the EU and according to the website Travel documents for non-EU nationals:

If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:
  • valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,
  • which was issued within the previous 10 years
As a US passport holder your friend should be ok to enter Germany as long as he has a return ticket to leave Germany/EU before January 8, 2018.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Just a caution.

It does not change the result in TIMATIC, but it appears that you ran your friend's details with a destination of the USA, not Germany. Your friend is still good with a 4/8/18 expiration date for entry to Germany.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - Just a caution.

It does not change the result in TIMATIC, but it appears that you ran your friend's details with a destination of the USA, not Germany. Your friend is still good with a 4/8/18 expiration date for entry to Germany.

oops lol. well thankfully it all worked out. Thank you all for your help. I believe he got through just fine!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.