Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Coming Dec. 2017: 3 hrs., 55 min. Berlin-Munich HSR

Old Jun 16, 17, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada and Sacramento, CA, US; UA Explorer Card Holder

The new high-speed rail alignment between Berlin and Munich is expected to begin revenue service in December 2017 after more than 20 years of construction through difficult terrain through the Thuringian Mountains. Travel times between Berlin and Munich will be cut from 6 hours at present to 3 hours, 55 minutes. Commensurate travel time reductions will be implemented for intermediate markets including Nuernberg, Erfurt, Halle, and Leipzig. The new line will need to be prepared for snow removal during the winters as the highest elevation high-speed line in Europe.

The operator, DB, notes that the 3 hour, 55 minute travel time beats the 4 hour cutoff point that is viewed by many as rail's inherent advantage over other modes. With travel times over 4 hours, rail rapidly loses passenger appeal.

http://www.deutschebahn.com/de/konze...616_vde_8.html
Old Jun 16, 17, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
That's very quick. Any idea what price it'll likely be?
Old Jun 16, 17, 3:59 pm

This can't be booked yet and the price information also isn't available yet. At the moment, a ticket Munich - Berlin costs 132 EUR, but if you buy in advance prices start at 29,90 EUR for the high-speed train (ICE). Expect something similar.
Old Jun 16, 17, 9:45 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I'm generally happy about it but my favorite place in Germany is on this line -- Bamberg -- but the high speed ICE's won't (generally) stop there.
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
So there won't be any reason to fly from the still not existing new Berlin airport to Munich airport if you want to travel from city centre to city centre. Less than four hours can hardly be beaten by airtravel using airports in the middle of nowhere.
Old Jun 17, 17, 6:53 am

Just to give you a perspective (and a comparison to BER), the project began in 1992. The planning permit process began in late 1993 (and wasn't entirely finalized until 2012). Construction began in 1996, was stopped in 1999 due to political issues, resumed in 2003 and is now finally done.

In other words, it took over 20 years to build 70 miles of track and I guarantee you the terrain wasn't the main factor in that. That's just the reality of infrastructure projects in Germany today.
Old Jun 17, 17, 9:58 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame View Post

The operator, DB, notes that the 3 hour, 55 minute travel time beats the 4 hour cutoff point that is viewed by many as rail's inherent advantage over other modes. With travel times over 4 hours, rail rapidly loses passenger appeal.

If you look at the small print you will see that only 3 train per day (in each direction) will take 3h 55m, most will take 4h 25m or more.
Old Jun 18, 17, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Ber2dca View Post
it took over 20 years to build 70 miles of track and I guarantee you the terrain wasn't the main factor in that.
The track from Ebensfeld to Erfurt has 107 km of new track, Erfurst to Leipzig/Halle has 121 km, of which 15 km are tunnels and 14 km bridges.
Old Jun 18, 17, 9:01 am

I didn't count the Erfurt-Leipzig part because that's a separate track which has been open for a while already. That said, it took about 20 years to build that as well.
Old Jun 18, 17, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by SchokoLate View Post
This can't be booked yet and the price information also isn't available yet. At the moment, a ticket Munich - Berlin costs 132 EUR, but if you buy in advance prices start at 29,90 EUR for the high-speed train (ICE). Expect something similar.
Not bad at all, cheers.
Old Jun 20, 17, 8:16 am

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ber2dca View Post
I didn't count the Erfurt-Leipzig part because that's a separate track which has been open for a while already. That said, it took about 20 years to build that as well.
It took about 20 years to build the entire track. So what? Germany is not China, where peasants are just moved out of the way.

And the new line (not to discuss the improvements on the track further on to Munich) counts up to about 10% of the entire Irish (RoI and NI) railroad network (97% of that not even electrified) with a few trains traveling at 200 km/h which is seen as a great achievement .

Given that please have some mercy with us in Germany.
Old Jun 20, 17, 11:16 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
It took about 20 years to build the entire track. So what? Germany is not China, where peasants are just moved out of the way.

And the new line (not to discuss the improvements on the track further on to Munich) counts up to about 10% of the entire Irish (RoI and NI) railroad network (97% of that not even electrified) with a few trains traveling at 200 km/h which is seen as a great achievement .

Given that please have some mercy with us in Germany.
Now if you guys could just do something about der Flughafen I keep hearing might open someday! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Regards
Old Jun 20, 17, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith View Post
If you look at the small print you will see that only 3 train per day (in each direction) will take 3h 55m, most will take 4h 25m or more.
Still worth it to me, especially on sparpreiskarten. I think the last time I took that trip it was closer to 7h (delays due to construction). I love flying through TXL, but the savings hassle is still worth it. 40 minutes Hbf-MUC, 20 minutes (without traffic) TXL-Hbf (longer if BER ever opens), 30 minutes for transiting airport, boarding 30 minutes before the 70 minute flight = at least 3 hours budgeted for flying.
Old Jun 24, 17, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Now if you guys could just do something about der Flughafen I keep hearing might open someday! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Regards
Most of us don't want to have it!
Old Jun 25, 17, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
Most of us don't want to have it!
Even as just a few times a year visitor to Berlin I don't want TXL to close. 20 years to build the type of infrastructure described on that stretch through Thuringia is impressive to a resident of Toronto where it takes that long to build a couple of subway stations.

Search this Thread