German Rail pass

Old Mar 10, 17, 6:59 am
Original Poster

German Rail pass

I'm planning our first trip to Germany. I was wondering if the German rail pass covers other means of transportation besides trains..buses? subway?
Would it cover Stuttgart airport to main station?..same for Munich.
I'm also confused on Salzburg. One site shows Innsbruck covered . but not Salzburg.

Edit.I also noticed huge differences in pass prices.
Raileurope.ca-Spring promo for twin pass 7 day, 1st class -$654
Germanrailpasses.com- $490..is this site legit?

Last edited by theplayer; Mar 10, 17 at 7:34 am
Old Mar 10, 17, 8:02 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Both are overcharging you considering the current exchange rate

Price in EUR:
https://www.bahn.com/en/view/offers/...NDITIONEN_LZ01

They cover any train operated by DB (and certain OBB) so within cities would cover S-bahn but not not U-bahn or trams
Old Mar 10, 17, 9:14 am
Original Poster

thanks for the reply...Can I purchase a 7 day twin pass at Munich airport?
Old Mar 10, 17, 9:32 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Possibly not as it's only an S-bahn station so might not have a travel centre. If not you could just buy a 9 Euro ticket to the Hbf and get it there. In fact if you are staying in Munich it might be better than wasting a day of your pass on local transport.
Old Mar 10, 17, 12:19 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
They cover any train operated by DB (and certain OBB) so within cities would cover S-bahn but not not U-bahn or trams
I saw this wording last year about it being valid on the ICE to/from Brussels. When I asked about that at a DB ticket office (Düsseldorf Hbf I think) the guy said only as far as the boarder (Aachen). That didn't seem right but I didn't want to risk it. Ended up buying a ticket on the DB ICE Bus to Antwerp (€19) so it was moot.

But has anybody here actually used a German Rail Pass on the ICE to Brussels?
Old Mar 10, 17, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
I saw this wording last year about it being valid on the ICE to/from Brussels. When I asked about that at a DB ticket office (Düsseldorf Hbf I think) the guy said only as far as the boarder (Aachen). That didn't seem right but I didn't want to risk it. Ended up buying a ticket on the DB ICE Bus to Antwerp (€19) so it was moot.

But has anybody here actually used a German Rail Pass on the ICE to Brussels?
German Rail Passes are valid only in Germany, and then not on city transportation (unless an S-Bahn, as a poster noted). Brussels is in Belgium, so why would the German Rail Pass be valid to there? True, the ICE is a German train, but the TGV is a French train, and the GRP is valid on them - within Germany. What does this tell us? The GRP is valid to border towns, i.e., Salzburg, and on the DB site it says the pass is also valid to some Italian cities, like Venice. Now this gets complicated, because the Germans and Austrians run a joint service to Venice and Bologna from Munich on their own account, and I think they're saying the GRP is valid only on the few trains operated under this joint service. But then why not on the ICE to Brussels? I suspect the Brussels service is not run on DB account but under separate
German and Belgian auspices, and thus the GRP is valid only up to the border. This gets even more ridiculous on routes to Italy when using a DB Spar-Preis ticket (reduced-fare, sometimes advanced-purchase, which are available for travel to Brussels), as it's valid only on the joint German/Austrian trains, which sometimes went to Milan and sometimes did not, so often one could not get a cheap ticket from Germany to Milan (only to Bologna or Venice). And sometimes the Italians would allow the German/Austrian trains to run only to a secondary station in Milan. The cheap tickets were not valid on through trains via Switzerland, only via Austria! Don't try to understand it all or assume there's some logic to it; it will change before you figure it out. In the meantime, enjoy riding around Europe on trains.
Old Mar 10, 17, 10:54 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Track View Post
German Rail Passes are valid only in Germany ...
I realize that English is not DBs mother tongue, but surely they could phrase this better, because it is pretty unambiguous...

Valid on all trains operated by Deutsche Bahn including the stations Basel Bad Bf (Switzerland) and Salzburg (Austria) and the ICE to Lüttich and Brussels (Belgium). In Austria and Italy on the EuroCity trains operated by DB and ÖBB to Kufstein, Innsbruck, Bolzano/Bozen, Trento, Verona, Bologna and Venice (DB-ÖBB EuroCity train)
I'm not disagreeing with you -- I just don't want to be the one to test it out
Old Mar 11, 17, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
I realize that English is not DBs mother tongue, but surely they could phrase this better, because it is pretty unambiguous...

I'm not disagreeing with you -- I just don't want to be the one to test it out
This is interesting insofar as Brussels and Luettich are included, implying that the ICE trains (Frankfurt-Brussels) operate under DB account, just like the DB/OeBB trains to Italy. I find this strange, as the joint DB/SNCF ICE/TGV trains to Paris and Marseille (also a joint operation, but only on these two routes) are not included in the list (outside of Germany - the ICE trains to Brussels certainly are included between Frankfurt and Aachen). And how about the DB ICE trains to Amsterdam, Vienna and Copenhagen, which are not included? There may have been a change in the GRP rules to Brussels, but I am skeptical, and the railroad clerk in Duesseldorf may or may not have been wrong.
Old Mar 12, 17, 7:23 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Just a heads up from my side: You might want to have a look into this forum on flyertalk http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...il-travel-654/

Search this Thread