Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oktoberfest 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:10 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by offerendum
Not every river is green. But we try.....
Rivers are usually blue, no?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Rivers are usually blue, no?
I referred to the water quality. Did you mean the color?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I referred to the water quality. Did you mean the color?
Yes, specifically to the lyric, "Da, wo die grüne Isar fließt..."
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Yes, specifically to the lyric, "Da, wo die grüne Isar fließt..."
No, it's not a general thing. I think the song means the green surroundings.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No, it's not a general thing. I think the song means the green surroundings.
Nope, its the coloration due to the reflection of the sunlight on chalk particles: http://www.karwendel-urlaub.de/servi...rum-gruen.html
Old Sep 15, 2016, 5:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The city of Munich just published the 10 rules of this years O'fest.

This year, rucksacks and large bags will generally be
banned from the Oktoberfest. Leave any non-essential
items at home. You will make it into the Oktoberfest much
quicker if you don’t bring any bags or rucksacks with you.
Any bags or rucksacks you do bring must not
exceed a volume of three litres or a size of
20 cm x 15 cm x 10 cm.
Even if they fit in your smallest bag, the following items
are also prohibited: Aerosol spray cans with hazardous
contents; corrosive or staining substances; objects that
could be used to cut, slash or stab. Glass bottles are also
banned.
Small children will get the best view of the Oktoberfest
from their pushchairs. While there is no general ban on
large pushchairs, they will be subjected to checks by
security staff.
Pushchairs are banned from the site all day on S aturdays
and on the public holiday for the Day of German
Unity on 3 October. Furthermore, pushchairs will not be
allowed onto the site from 6 p.m. on all other days.
Animals are not permitted in the Oktoberfest at any time.
Plan your journey: Where possible, find alternative
forms of transport to underground lines U4 and U5
and Theresienwiese station. If you are arriving into
the central railway station, you can also walk to the Oktoberfest.
If you are travelling on the underground from the
west, get off at Schwanthaler Höhe if possible.
Use all of the entrances around the Oktoberfest
grounds.
The Oktoberfest is at its best when there aren’t any large
crowds. The Wiesn Barometer shows you the best times for
a quiet stroll around the site. You will find the barometer on
the official Oktoberfest website at www.oktoberfest.eu.
No matter how much fun you have, every trip to Oktoberfest
has to come to an end some time. No visitors are permitted
on the festival grounds between 1.30 a.m. and 8 a.m.
Attached Images
Old Sep 15, 2016, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Nope, its the coloration due to the reflection of the sunlight on chalk particles: http://www.karwendel-urlaub.de/servi...rum-gruen.html
Interesting, thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Interesting, thanks!
Hmm my only experience swimming in anything German other than a pool in a hotel was here, and it was blue green clear Caribbean!

https://www.google.com/search?q=eibs...yjB5sQ_AUIBygC
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forgot to mention that there is a device people can get--I wish I had one years ago--called the TEP Wireless.

https://www.tepwireless.com/

People like me who work for myself so no company is paying for my phone when overseas, need something like this when we travel to Europe and verizon wants a ton of money for any sort of temp plan.

Tep Wireless enables you to get wifi for up to 5 devices anywhere and it's 10 euros a day. It can be shipped to the hotel you are going to go to and you can ship it back when your trip is done.

I think they even have a referral program so if anyone wants to get one, lemme know. We may both make or save $$.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I forgot to mention that there is a device people can get--I wish I had one years ago--called the TEP Wireless.

https://www.tepwireless.com/

People like me who work for myself so no company is paying for my phone when overseas, need something like this when we travel to Europe and verizon wants a ton of money for any sort of temp plan.

Tep Wireless enables you to get wifi for up to 5 devices anywhere and it's 10 euros a day. It can be shipped to the hotel you are going to go to and you can ship it back when your trip is done.

I think they even have a referral program so if anyone wants to get one, lemme know. We may both make or save $$.
Adding international to Verizon is a lot cheaper than $10 a day.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:26 pm

Yeah, would have thought that given it only costs me £5/day to have the equivalent of my domestic contract... oh wait, 3 expanded feel at home to include Germany now, so I now have unlimited data there, result
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Adding international to Verizon is a lot cheaper than $10 a day.
Not in my past experience

There are always furthered costs

Besides a friend is getting tep so we will all share that cost
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: DL
Might be barking up the wrong tree, but figured might as well ask -- does anyone here have a table reservation they'd like some help filling next week (Monday Sept 26 through Wednesday Sept 29) =)? We're a friendly group of 5 from the states, in Germany for the Berlin marathon this weekend and then Oktoberfest in Munich afterwards and none of us were on the ball enough to get reservations back in January-April.

(also, re: the data, I've been somehow getting free LTE in Germany as part of my regular tmobile service).
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dandan
Might be barking up the wrong tree, but figured might as well ask -- does anyone here have a table reservation they'd like some help filling next week (Monday Sept 26 through Wednesday Sept 29) =)? We're a friendly group of 5 from the states, in Germany for the Berlin marathon this weekend and then Oktoberfest in Munich afterwards and none of us were on the ball enough to get reservations back in January-April.

(also, re: the data, I've been somehow getting free LTE in Germany as part of my regular tmobile service).
Personally, I suggest just going in the mornings/day time. You would likely get a table and there are no needs for tickets then, usually.

But if you do want to go at night, you may be quite late for it. On the other hand, yeah, in here there could be people who may have some tickets...

Ask Olilver, the mod.

But make pre-planned rules with each other first about ticketing and meeting up, etc.

1) stay connected and do a followup once in Munich.
2) note a time and date to meet.
3) note a time limit--ie, if you don't pick up said tickets by X date and time, this or that will happen.
4) set the price and agree on it but also don't be loosey-goosey.
5) agree on what happens BEFOREHAND if there are no shows.
6) get to know the rules of tickets for the tents and how they work. For example, do you get to have an actual ticket? Is it legit? Where can you check and find out? What happens to unused tickets? How long is the table given to your group? If the group doesn't fill the table who can sit there? Can I have a receipt or a copy of my ticket? What exactly does it include?

Sparing details from experience...
In my case, 2 years ago, our group and the person(s) who said they had tickets never really had any communication just prior to said event day we had planned. We had previous emails where we said yes to wanting tickets, but once we were in Munich, there was silence. Then late at night I sent a message saying hey we went to a tent and had fun, sorry we missed you. At this point those persons replied back telling us they waited for a long time and since they did not have us with them, the waitress gave the seats to other people. They wanted to be paid for the tickets. After some time and some back and forth emails, out of the four of us, 2 agreed to split it and pay half. there was never another response from those with the tickets on the matters so it went dead without any money exchanging hands, which was weird. Two people in my group balked saying they wanted to see the unused tickets. My late night email saying we had fun elsewhere may have come across callously but it didn't change the fact that no pre-planned rules had been set up by the other side on how and when to meet and actually do all this.

To avoid these mistakes, do one of two things:
1) make rules together like I suggest above.
2) do this only with people you already know.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dandan

Unless you are picky about the tent and/or the time (for example Käfer after 1500) you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Just wander in/around and you'll undoubtedly find somewhere to sit, even if it is initially in the outdoors bit. If the inside is full send someone from your team for a wander inside to secure any section of a table that frees up and have him call the rest of you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.