Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Airports for a layover to sightsee

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2014, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Best Airports for a layover to sightsee

What are the best airports to sightsee during a layover? I remember reading someone's post but don't remember the airport. My layover will be somewhere in Germany (from Barcelona) in the early afternoon, until departure in the morning or later for NYC. Any hotel recommendations, restaurants also?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 6:37 pm
In Memoriam

I always enjoyed Munich, pretty good connections. Lots to see and do.

I used to stay at a Hilton City Park? Easy Train service.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 5:03 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
FRA is also excellent as you can take the S-bahn to Mainz, which is a charming small town on the Rhine. 30 min trip with frequent service. There is also a long-haul train station at FRA airport, so you could take a train to Heidelberg or Cologne for example, if Mainz isn't enough. Berlin is fantastic but needs more than overnight to enjoy.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Depends on what you want. Would take Munich or Berlin
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:00 pm

Another vote for Munich.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT
My vote would be Berlin, as the airport is very easy to get in and out of, and a lot of the "touristy" stuff is fairly centralized. Munich also a great option if you have a bit more time.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Depends what you like.

Berlin has nightlife and history. Lots of hotel choices centrally located.

Munich has tradition, lots of good places to eat drink. Deutsches Museum is interesting. Easy walking city.

Frankfurt Airport is easy public transport to Mainz, a interesting little city on the Rhein or Heidelberg also on the river. Castle at Heidelberg is cool.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Surely you know what airport you will be flying from in Germany to get to NYC?

It's very likely to be FRA or MUC, but there are other possibilities including DUS, HAM, and TXL. Surely this is the way to go about it.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:37 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Surely you know what airport you will be flying from in Germany to get to NYC?

It's very likely to be FRA or MUC, but there are other possibilities including DUS, HAM, and TXL. Surely this is the way to go about it.
Exactly. Unless the OP is willing to transfer again at another airport, the choice is limited to an airport with direct flights to NYC.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:51 am

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
I'm going to have around a 6 hour layover in DUS. From what I read online it's about a 15 min train ride into the city from the airport and trains run every 20 mins. Is it worth heading into the city? Is there much to see near the train station? I'll only have 2-3 hours in the city before having to go back to the airport...
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:59 pm

6 hours should be enough to get into town and see a bit. Buy a ticket into town from the VRR (transit authority) vending machine in the SkyTrain station that connects the terminal building to the airport's train station. A day pass costs €6.50, which will cover a round-trip from the airport to the train station, as well as local transit to get around the city.

Depending on what time of day you're arriving, trains leave as often as every 2-3 minutes and can be at the main train station in as little as 5 minutes. Hop on any train that doesn't say "ICE" in front of it. Others may have more specific recommendations, but I would take the subway a few stops to the Altstadt (old town), walk around a bit, and enjoy a beer or two.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by saranyc
I'm going to have around a 6 hour layover in DUS. From what I read online it's about a 15 min train ride into the city from the airport and trains run every 20 mins. Is it worth heading into the city? Is there much to see near the train station? I'll only have 2-3 hours in the city before having to go back to the airport...
Hard to say. I live near by and must say, it`s not the most interesting town. Cologne is much more interesting, but perhaps a little too ambitious for 6 hours.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Cologne is much more interesting, but perhaps a little too ambitious for 6 hours.
My thoughts exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.