Wiki Posts
Search

Help with SIM card at FRA for iPhone5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Help with SIM card at FRA for iPhone5

Hello,

I know that have been other threads in this forum about SIM cards, but after reading them I am still lost. I need step-by-step sure-fire instructions, if anyone is willing to do that.

I am flying to Germany for 2 weeks, into and out of FRA airport.

I have an iPhone 5 w/ AT&T service.

I want to be able to buy a SIMcard in the airport.

On another thread, this link to a store in the airport was posted: http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...s/photair.html
But that page doesn't mention SIM cards. So I don't know if this is a reliable resource.

Also, I don't know where to research price comparisons for shops in the airport - or is investigating prices online ahead of time unrealistic? The convenience of buying at the airport is more important than getting the cheapest deal.

Thanks so much,
Nina
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: AA PLT
Can you be a little more specific about what you want to use the SIM for? Just voice, or data as well? How much do you anticipate using each, and how long will you be in Germany?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Can you be a little more specific about what you want to use the SIM for? Just voice, or data as well? How much do you anticipate using each, and how long will you be in Germany?
I will want to use it for voice and data. Voice would be a couple of short calls a day, data would mostly be using the Maps application for looking for locations and a route to get there.

Unlikely but possible is listening to online radio or downloading podcasts, which would take the most data.

I will be there for 2 weeks.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA, LH, AS, AB
There is an Ortel Mobile vending machine in FRA in the shopping mall after the check-in counters. I've used them for voice but not for data for my dumb AT&T phone.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:07 pm

If you absolutely have to buy it at the airport, and you want someone who is likely to speak some English, go to the o2 store. For €25, you can get 5GB of high speed data (throttled thereafter), and calls back to the US are €0.29/min. If you're willing to wait until you get into town, you can cut that to €15 and .09/min, but the discount providers don't have a big presence at the airports.

Walk into the o2 store and tell them you want an "o2 Loop Freikarte" (not a "Smart" Freikarte, that requires a monthly commitment) with €60 of "guthaben" (credit). That will give you ~10 minutes a day for 2 weeks. You will have to give them your passport with your details, but they can activate the SIM for you. Once that's complete, ask them to activate the "Internet-Monats-Flat L" for you. If they can't do it for whatever reason, send "START INTERNETL" to 5667, and respond "ja INTERNETL" to the confirmation SMS you'll receive. Afterwards, it might take an hour or two to fully activate, but you should be good to go.

If you run out of credit on your trip to make calls with, walk into any grocery or electronics store and ask for o2 guthaben in the amount you desire, which usually had a €10 minimum.

Also, make sure you have AT&T unlock your phone before you go, otherwise foreign SIM cards will not work in your phone.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

This is extremely helpful, thank you.

I am trying to get my phone unlocked now. I um still under contract, so AT&T won't do it. I tried iunlocksmartphones.com, but he took my money (fortunately only $5.99) and did nothing in return.

In terms of getting a better price than offered in the airport, I could wait a bit. After arriving in FRA, I am taking the train (just below the airport) to Würzburg. So, I could get it there if it's not too much of a hassle.

Do you know where in würzburg I would go?

Or is there a way to get a SIM card here? I am leaving on Sunday, so not much time for a mail order.

Thanks again,
Nina
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you absolutely have to buy it at the airport, and you want someone who is likely to speak some English, go to the o2 store. For €25, you can get 5GB of high speed data (throttled thereafter), and calls back to the US are €0.29/min. If you're willing to wait until you get into town, you can cut that to €15 and .09/min, but the discount providers don't have a big presence at the airports.

Walk into the o2 store and tell them you want an "o2 Loop Freikarte" (not a "Smart" Freikarte, that requires a monthly commitment) with €60 of "guthaben" (credit). That will give you ~10 minutes a day for 2 weeks. You will have to give them your passport with your details, but they can activate the SIM for you. Once that's complete, ask them to activate the "Internet-Monats-Flat L" for you. If they can't do it for whatever reason, send "START INTERNETL" to 5667, and respond "ja INTERNETL" to the confirmation SMS you'll receive. Afterwards, it might take an hour or two to fully activate, but you should be good to go.

If you run out of credit on your trip to make calls with, walk into any grocery or electronics store and ask for o2 guthaben in the amount you desire, which usually had a €10 minimum.
This is EXTREMELY helpful for me if I can get this deal for my unlocked Android Verizon Wireless phone. I don't mind spending 25€ for 5GB if I can get the SIM card easily at FRA. If I were to be on SKYPE for 30 minutes each day for 6 days, would 5GB be sufficient?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by ninanu
In terms of getting a better price than offered in the airport, I could wait a bit. After arriving in FRA, I am taking the train (just below the airport) to Würzburg. So, I could get it there if it's not too much of a hassle.
Do you speak any German? If you can make it into Würzburg, it certainly opens up options for you (although honestly I'm not sure how many of those options include nano SIMs that would fit in your iPhone.)

Originally Posted by Analise
This is EXTREMELY helpful for me if I can get this deal for my unlocked Android Verizon Wireless phone. I don't mind spending 25€ for 5GB if I can get the SIM card easily at FRA. If I were to be on SKYPE for 30 minutes each day for 6 days, would 5GB be sufficient?
Yes. If convenience trumps cost, then the 5GB you can get from o2 at the airport will be more than enough (the Skype itself wouldn't use more than ~200 MB). The reason I usually don't recommend this route is the cost of calls -- most carriers have reasonable similar data rates, but international calls from the non-discount providers rack up quickly. However, if you're using Skype, that's a moot point.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:01 am

Do you speak any German? If you can make it into Würzburg, it certainly opens up options for you (although honestly I'm not sure how many of those options include nano SIMs that would fit in your iPhone.)
I have yet to see a nano sim available in store for discount providers like aldi talk, blau, simyo, etc. Unless it's changed in the past few months, you have to get the normal starter kit then order the nano by mail.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:06 am

Yes. If convenience trumps cost, then the 5GB you can get from o2 at the airport will be more than enough (the Skype itself wouldn't use more than ~200 MB). The reason I usually don't recommend this route is the cost of calls -- most carriers have reasonable similar data rates, but international calls from the non-discount providers rack up quickly. However, if you're using Skype, that's a moot point.
I have no intention of making calls. Thank you for the reassurance that I'd have enough data to use Skype daily.

Just curious, what is the expiration of the 5GB usage? If I were to return to Germany in 6 months or a year from now and I have no used up the 5GB from this trip, would I still have the remaining data?

Also, let's say that I want to make calls. Since it's a prepaid SIM, how would the o2 store charge me for the calls? Would they keep my credit card on file and charge the credit card as I made calls? Or is the 25€ cost included a set number of prepaid minutes or a fixed amount of money for both calls to the US and calls within Germany? How does this work? Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:40 pm

Just curious, what is the expiration of the 5GB usage? If I were to return to Germany in 6 months or a year from now and I have no used up the 5GB from this trip, would I still have the remaining data?

Also, let's say that I want to make calls. Since it's a prepaid SIM, how would the o2 store charge me for the calls? Would they keep my credit card on file and charge the credit card as I made calls? Or is the 25€ cost included a set number of prepaid minutes or a fixed amount of money for both calls to the US and calls within Germany? How does this work? Thanks.
The 5GB is good for 30 days. The SIM has to be used or reloaded every 6 months or the balance will expire and the card will deactivate.

You have to load money on the card before using any services, so if you only loaded €25 and activated the internet plan you would not be allowed to make any calls since you have no balance. Throwing on an extra €5 or €10 is a cheap insurance policy in case you're in a bind and need to make a couple of calls.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:48 pm

The 5GB is good for 30 days. The SIM has to be used or reloaded every 6 months or the balance will expire and the card will deactivate.

You have to load money on the card before using any services, so if you only loaded €25 and activated the internet plan you would not be allowed to make any calls since you have no balance. Throwing on an extra €5 or €10 is a cheap insurance policy in case you're in a bind and need to make a couple of calls.
Thanks. Is it possible to reload the card online in case I don't get back to Germany within 6 months?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:09 pm

Thanks. Is it possible to reload the card online in case I don't get back to Germany within 6 months?
Yes, you can top it up at https://www.aufladen.de/en, although the minimum top-up is €15. If you're going to go that route, I recommend using their "direct" option for €0.50 more, they will input the activation code for you so you don't have to fumble through it.

Alternatively, put your SIM card in your Droid every couple of months while you're at home and send yourself a text message for €0.49. That will reset your 6 month clock.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:13 pm

Yes, you can top it up at https://www.aufladen.de/en, although the minimum top-up is €15. If you're going to go that route, I recommend using their "direct" option for €0.50 more, they will input the activation code for you so you don't have to fumble through it.

Alternatively, put your SIM card in your Droid every couple of months while you're at home and send yourself a text message for €0.49. That will reset your 6 month clock.
Even better. Thanks. Will I be able to see how much data I have left before I return to New York?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:35 pm

Even better. Thanks. Will I be able to see how much data I have left before I return to New York?
Yes, although I don't remember exactly how off the top of my head. I think you dial either *100# or *104# and hit send, and from a menu select "pack manager". Somewhere under there is a status option that you then select your data option from that lists your usage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.